Skat trak or Solas pumps?

I was looking into upgrading my pump on my a/m sxr and was debating between the Skat Trak and the Solas and was wondering if anyone has some good input.

I currently have a stock pump blueprinted and stuffed and was looking for better freestlye application. Thanks.

i have a skat pump and i like it. my friend has the solas $1200 complete pump and it seems to work really well for him. either one will likely be fine.

edit: we are both using them in 800 limiteds and they work great.
i also have another friend with a skat 145mm pump 83mm hub in an sxr1100 and it is awesome, works great

Last edited:
If you are sticking with the 800 motor, the solas is a good buy. It isn't as good as a set back skat, but it also isn't as expensive, either. If you are considering going the conversion route via 1100 or 951, the solas is too small to handle the potential of those motors. IMO, the best pump available for the sxr is the set back 142-145 83mm hub skat. That pump hooks up like no other.

SM

I'm running a ported 850 with MSD TL on a dry pipe with duel blackjacks and don't plan on going any bigger on the engine any time soon. I'm going to go withe the Solas, I figure if i want to go to a Skat in the future then I'll use this in another ski. Thanks for the imput guys, it is always good to hear no one has any warning about either one.

What else, besides the 12 vein stator section, is different about the solas pump vs a stuffed stock pump? And does it really make a $1200 difference? I can see going with a larger diameter but how is a 140mm skat or solas pump considered a magnum pump? Would it have a major impact for a freestyle ski?

I had wear on my pump, it was blueprinted and stuffed and I was getting cavitation from it so I just decided to go to a better set up. I'm running a lot of power through a stock pump and I'm looking for better freestyle. I'll keep you posted once I get the thing running again.

I am thinking about getting the Solas pump for my SXR as my pump is looking shot. I have the groupk 850 sleeper kit and it uses a Skat-Trak C-75 9/17 Swirl Impeller. Does anyone know if I can use this impeller in the Solas pump? Solas does not make a impeller with those specs as far as I can tell.

I ride a lot of miles at a time cruising up down the colorado river. I couldn't stand not being able to maintain a cruise speed of 20-30 mph without constantly blipping the throttle. According to groupk was the pipe causing it and there was no way to resolve keeping the pipe.

I am having a bad run of luck. I sent my top end to groupk for the 850 sleeper kit and in the process noticed my crank is seperating eating into my case and my pump and impeller are shot. My nozzle is 80mm now. I can get a new kawi pump or for a little extra get the solas. I am a Solas dealer so it is only a couple hundred difference. I have a Solas mag in my ROK and like it. If is isnt going to make a noticeable diff then I will just get the kawi pump. Any thoughts?

This is my cruiser ski that I race friends with and look for boat wakes. I should prob just buy a SJ but everyone I know has one of those.

What else, besides the 12 vein stator section, is different about the solas pump vs a stuffed stock pump? And does it really make a $1200 difference? I can see going with a larger diameter but how is a 140mm skat or solas pump considered a magnum pump? Would it have a major impact for a freestyle ski?
Makes a huge difference, not as good as a skat, but still a great pump. For that $1200 price it also includes a drop nozzle system with adjustable rings

in a "cruiser" ski i would not consider a mag pump necessary. is it better than stock? sure. will you notice a difference on just a cruiser ski? probably not...

now, in race chop you probably would find it necessary, but otherwise..not so much. you can pick up a used 750/800 pump pretty cheap, throw in a good impeller, and easily keep the other $600 in your pocket. thats just my opinion. if you have the money and want to spend it, by all means go for it..

What compression are you going to be running on your groupk sleeper? I've notied that adding water to a pipe can make the powerband more controllable. If your chasing boats I'd just go with a stock pump and use some of the saved money on a light flywheel.

Im not sure what my compression is going to be. They are setting me up with higher compression than there normal 850 sleeper and setting me up for 50/50 race gas. I have a lightened flywheel. I am looking to make this thing work as good as possible while retaining the stock pipe. Hopefully it will be close to how fast it was with the pipe on it. I played with adding water to the pipe but still couldn't get it to be able to maintain a cruise speed between 20-30mph without constant throttle blipping. It would soften the hit but that wasn't really the problem I was having I liked the hit.

From reading about the pumps it seems like the only time I might notice a difference is when Im chasing my friends around pretending like were racing since the water is rougher behind them. Does this sound rite? As far as I can tell a stock pump is going to cost me about $600 and a solas mag I can get for $800. I need a impeller anyways so that is a wash either way. So it is only a $200 difference. If I notice a diff anywhere it would be worth it to me. I run a stk D cut plate and am wondering if the trim on the solas pump will help me at all? Also can I use the solas pump and not use the trim?

BTW thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom