ski insurance?

jetkid

Paul Lambers
I only put ins on during the summer months when I ride it. It it sinks to the bottom and they cant get it back, I would think it would be covered. Once they find out that it broke from "abuse " or what they would call abuse, The ins company would have an out, and would not cover it. This is just from what I have heard. I am sure every ins company is different.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
mine are covered 12 months out of the year. It cost me about $200.00 a year. If it gets stolen from my shop, if my home owners does not cover it, then it is covered.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Yeah, it will cover damage, I ripped the nose off and actually went and talked to them about getting it covered. Not really worth it to file it. If it slid off the trailer and got run over, yeah, or got TBoned at the lake, but damage from just riding, not worth it to file.

I asked my guy if I would covered if I lost it in the Niagara and he said yes....I don't believe him though. If I lost it and the details came out I would think they would say no.

I used to have full coverage. I put a HUGE crack down the side of my SN and they covered it with no questions asked.

Now I just run liability. I figured the $2,000 they would give me for a '96 Superjet would just be a slap in the face compared to what I have invested.

I used to have full coverage. I put a HUGE crack down the side of my SN and they covered it with no questions asked.

Now I just run liability. I figured the $2,000 they would give me for a '96 Superjet would just be a slap in the face compared to what I have invested.

Thats what I think as well . However , if you can prove your investment in the form of (receipts... non of us want to do that ) you can amend most home owners policies to cover nonstandard property . If you don't they will only pay for what ever the book value is . I had a square nose taken from my house after the deductible of 500 bucks they were willing to stroke me a check for 150.00 dollars . Make sure you all address your home owners policy to include your special circumstances . There could have been a double top secret motor from area 51 with a flux capacitor b pipe and all it would be worth is ................150 bucks . in short, I'm concerned with liability and theft . I'll take my lumps and pay the stupid tax.

cornbread40

Livin' the Dream!!!
be aware of thinking your ski is covered for theft from your house under your homeowners. All homeowners have built in specified limits of coverage for watercraft and it is most commonly only $1500.

You should "schedule" the ski like you would your wife's wedding ring. For watercraft, losses are settled by actual cash value (ACV) from the amount of insurance coverage you have on the item.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
My wife is my agent. Skis, through Progressive anyway, are covered with theft and damage. If riding at the lake or in the surf and you pile it up, its covered. Just pay the deductible, which you chose, you pay a higher rate for a lower deductible. Also the ski HAS to have current registration. The policy my friend has is Actual Cash Value then has an add on for any accessories and/or mods. You can change that to reflect the value of items installed and/or mods done which will raise the rate depending on amount insured. She says Geico and Progressive insure skis, and it was news to her that Geico wont insure theft, but she knows progressive will. My ski isn't insured yet, but as soon as I am done with all the work it will be... Oh and homeowners does NOT cover skis because they are licensed for use.. Just like a vehicle..

Last edited:

jetkid

Paul Lambers
I had geico but I switched to progressive because of the theft. I gave them a list of all the parts on the ski. My ski is covered up to $7500 and I think I pay about $350 for a year with $250 deductible, but I only insure it for 8 months so its something like $250 a year.

WAB

salty nuts
Like sportfish said, read your policies, keep receipts, and ask about adding coverage. Even home policies that extend coverage to boats usaually have a standard boat size limit, like 15ft & 25hp max, for example.
Let me add that the home policy only covers boats for the smae type of coverages that the house has. Liability (most important), Theft & fire & falling objects are covered, but usually NOT collision, sinking, impact with water. Ask you agent, then, ask him/her to double check with the home coverage claims dept. :)

For the first time this year, when we were all out riding in Daytona, NOBODY's personal insurance (wreck or sink) would have covered anything sat or sun because it was a 'sanctioned event'.

Last edited:

customride0105

Site Supporter
i was thinking of getting insurance. on my skis. but its like why. . flatwater just a few people... and my alarm system will cover my skis if anything stolen from my house that the homeowners wont cover. i know nationwide also sells ski insurance. now one thing i tought was messed up if your towing your skis. you wreck and ski gets messed up your ski is NOt covered. thats the only reason i would even think of getting it.

Top Bottom