Super Jet SN Custom Build - Risen from a watery grave

Hello fellow riders.

I'm sharing my winter squarenose build with you today which I hope to finish before march which is when I usually start riding again. This will be my first real custom ski build, and first time working with fiberglass on this scale. Since I was 15, around 2005, I've been piddling around with 750sx, sxi's, x2's on Lake Travis. Fairly recently I found an FX1 sitting under a tarp in my homeowners park. I tracked the owner down and bugged the crap out of him until he sold me the ski. I did a quick engine rebuild (my first), and a cosmetic overhaul and rode it all summer. Loved that ski. Being a fairly small guy at 5'10' and 140lbs it felt good to be able to flick a light ski around like that, and it gave me the motivation to start trying cooler chit. Our lake is a staggering 56 vertical feet from full which is extremely uncommon (very bad drought here). The lake is so low that things are starting to pop up out of the water that even my parents havent seen before (the last drought this bad was around when they were born). Unfortunately, as a I smashed an under water stump at 40mph which did irreparable damage to the fx hull. I continued to ride it, but the crack is getting worse fast.

Around mid-october I dislocated my hip carving around on my FX-1. Completely freak accident, probably couldnt make it happen again if i tried.

Untitled.jpg

Anyway, now that im recovering I need a new ski. Through swapmeet I got into contact with dragginblazer who sold me 2 SN hulls. Let the fun begin.

Heres what the hull im gonna start with looked like.

SN1.jpgSN2.jpgSN3.jpg

Notice the gunwales are severely collapsed, after talking to dragginblazer I would guess that this hull spent a considerable amount of time underwater. Bearing that in mind, a complete defoam was in order.

IMAG0301.jpg

Yup, wet foam.

Basically what I've learned from the entire defoam process is that the entire ski leaks. In fact, the only place it was apparent the ski HADNT leaked was the driveshaft tube. Every other place, bond line, plate and grate holes, firewall, water tubes, everything had leaked a LOT of water.

The weight of the ski with no hood and BARE was 115lbs. Not as heavy as i thought!

IMAG0307.jpg

So that was a major pain in the ass and i wish to never do it again lol. You can also see how warped the fiberglass is now, thatll be fun to deal with later.

So as of right now the ski is defoamed, with lots of glass cut out.
IMAG0308.jpg

85lbs! Not bad at all. Granted it has quite a bit cut off of it right now.

Heres basically what I want it to look like. The foam on the nose was quickly and haphazardly thrown on there just so i could get an idea of the look before i dove into it. It will be redone with 2 part foam and shaped later. Threw my fx1 pole on there for a mock up.

IMAG0311.jpg
IMAG0310.jpg
IMAG0309.jpg

I've got a monumental amount of work infront of me, but since I cant do anything because of my injury anyway - may as well be doing something.

This ski will be powered by a 61x top and 62t bottom with stock 38's, factory mod pipe, protec head, #zero flywheel, and stock electrics.
It will be receiving a waveraider pump WITH trim up, and a stock B1 prop.
Im going to use PVC and make a new exhaust tube. Im also going to put an inline silencer between the firewall and exhaust exit, I like quiet skis. The exhaust exit will probably be a pump dump or possibly out the side instead of the back.

There are some other plans I have that are yet to be seen :)

SN Love!

Its hard to see, but the stock hood is cut down. I may cut it even lower, I havent decided.

EDIT: And if you havent figured it out yet, this is a MAJOR budget build. I will be doing the best with what little I have.

Last edited:

Texan33

Yacht Wakes Hunter
So!! You are the guy who purchased Dragginblazer's SN hulls. He said something about selling his hulls to someone in Austin a few weeks ago. We have got ourselves another interesting build thread to watch. :cool2:

Lol, thats me! It will be put to good use! Ill be slow to update this for awhile, but once school is over Ill really be knocking some work out on this thing. I have a lot of parts and supplies on the way so ill be ready to hit the ground running.

Gonna try out a riser bar setup with an xmetal turn plate with this one. Gotta find a way to make the fx1 pole work with all this, that should be fun.

Looks great.. I am working on a SN Build also.. Can you take some pictures of the lowered hood? I have been thinking of lowering my hood also but am not sure how to go about it.. This is my first ski. I will have to follow your thread..

IMAG0315.jpgIMAG0316.jpg

Took another break, used up the rest of my great stuff can so you can see what the chop looks like. Im not sure if i love it or hate it. I needed to lower and round off the corner, while keeping the height of the hood at the handle pole the same. If i lower the whole hood, the nose will end up looking too pointy. So this is hopefully a good middle ground. I guess we'll see! That great stuff is like trying to shape mashed potatoes :grumble:

Last edited:
Ran 2 cooling lines, siphon line, trim cable tube, and steering cable tube. The cooling lines and siphon line im not sure about. I had these brass fittings lying around and decided to give this method a try, hope it holds up. The siphon line worked out nicely, its a 3/8" barbed coupler on the pump side and a 3/8" to 1/2" coupler on the firewall side meaning no need to ʞɔnɟ with different sized lines anywhere. Still working on what im going to do for the exhaust, but I think ive landed on polystyrene sheets for flotation below the tray so I can run drain plugs. The gunwales will be 2 part foamed in an effort to push them back outward.

IMAG0345.jpg

Last edited:
Yamaha sucks at glueing. After seeing how crappy the glue job was i decided to do a little experiment. I plugged all the holes and filled the entire engine bay with water. Lo and behold, the bondrail was leaking water out. I dont know if this ski was a lemon or what, but there are some massive gaps in the glue.

Anyway, the more i look at the nose of this ski the more I hate it. Im contemplating a large cut, but am not sure if my fiberglassing skills are good enough.

Attachments

• IMAG0348.jpg
    IMAG0348.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 99
Fill with 3m 5200? might be simplest solution
idk how crazy you wanna get with the nose sometimes turns out way different than planned.
seen it happen to a few guys already

Last edited:

JGringo

When in doubt, Throttle-out.
Yamaha sucks at glueing. After seeing how crappy the glue job was i decided to do a little experiment. I plugged all the holes and filled the entire engine bay with water. Lo and behold, the bondrail was leaking water out. I dont know if this ski was a lemon or what, but there are some massive gaps in the glue.

Anyway, the more i look at the nose of this ski the more I hate it. Im contemplating a large cut, but am not sure if my fiberglassing skills are good enough.

I found this out with my ski also, I don't know what to do about it!

I am slapping a layer of carbon-kevlar weave down the entire length of the hull on both sidewalls hoping that it takes care of this problem. I also found that their molding process leads to really thin areas of the upper deck (at least in the nose area of the ski).

I am still spitballing with the glue and leaking issues... So if you come up with some other reasonable solution other than fiberglassing over everything -- let me know.

JGringo

When in doubt, Throttle-out.
P.S. what are you doing with your lines? Why did you veer away from the stainless lines? I was thinking of just replacing the stock lines with new stainless lines but I like what you are doing...

I am still spitballing with the glue and leaking issues... So if you come up with some other reasonable solution other than fiberglassing over everything -- let me know.

Ill fill it with epoxy, not a big deal just surprising. Mix up some peanut butter and plop it in.

idk how crazy you wanna get with the nose sometimes turns out way different than planned.
seen it happen to a few guys already

That's what im afraid of lol.

Easy way out is: Leave the handlepole mount where it is, drill new holes for fx bracket. Modify pole/bracket to work with extra throw. Foam, and create my own nose. Down side is it still looks ugly.
I'd like to chop the nose 4" shorter, and move (and level) the handlepole mount area forward.

I'm gonna save it for last. If I can rebuild the tray and gunwales successfully, I may attempt it.

Last edited:
Only reason I did that with the lines was because I had the parts on hand. If i did it again Id try to find some better bulkhead barb fittings.

It has its advantages - the barbs are easier to connect/disconnect than the tubes. The siphon situation is nice, no need for that goofy special 3/8 to 1/2 rubber tube on the pump side. Looks a little nicer, imo.

But they dont feel quite as strong as the tubing.. I have them oriented with the middle ridge on the back side, so you can tug on them all you want and they wont budge. But Im relying on the strength of the 5200 to keep them in when pushing hoses on.

Last edited:
The orange line? Air compressor hose from home depot. $13 for 50ft. It works great, just have to cut your lengths right to avoid kinks because the PVC jacket in it is pretty stiff.

Finals ended, got a 4.0 this semester wahoo!

Have been making some progress, albeit slow progress.

IMAG0360.jpgIMAG0371.jpgIMAG0377.jpg

I landed on a side exhaust exit, with no silencer. I didnt get much feedback on the size difference so I left it alone. The stainless exhaust tube is a tad smaller than the PVC (about 1/32") so I cut 2 5mm strips of gasket material and situated them like rings on a piston and pressed the stainless tube into the PVC with lots of 5200. The fit is very tight with the gaskets, so the 5200 on top of that should hold everything nicely. Expoxy'd everything into the hull and poured in some foam. Did a little shaping, and I now have the footholds mounted in there, just need to start glassing.

Top Bottom