Super Jet SN died and nearly sank, No Spark, Advice?

Hey,

I'm new to stand ups but have been around boats and engines my entire life. I recently purchased a 1993 SN superjet with a protec built and ported 701 in good condition. When I bought it up in Bullhead City, AZ it ran great. When I got it home in San Diego I went through it, cleaned it up, replaced zip ties with hose clamps and installed a flush kit for the ocean. I took it out in SD bay and it ran fine for about 30 min then it died instantly. Started it back up then it died again 5 seconds later. After that it would turn over but no hint of it even wanting to fire. My first thought was that it overheated because the guy I bought it from mentioned a safety device that shuts it down when it overheats.

I called a friend to come pick me up in the dinghy. Towing this thing is not fun. Long story short, by the time i got back to the dock it was full of water (aftermarket bilge pump on its way). It would have sank if I didn't have it tied to the dock. Anyway, I pumped it out, pulled the plugs, got all the water out, and hosed it down with WD40. I read a bunch of info on this forum and the guy I bought it from has been really helpful with advice. Once I got it ready to go I still couldnt get it to fire. I wasn't getting a spark. I tried to disconnect the kill switch and the engine wanted to fire and started to sputter a bit and I almost had it running. I thought the kill switch was the issue for sure so i pulled the plugs to check for fowling and threw them back in and tried again. This time no spark just like before. From what I have read it must be either the CDI, coil or stator right? (I did a resistance test on the brown wire (stator i was told) and got 348 ohms. It that sufficient? Any advice on how to diagnose which one without being able to swap a good part in? This is a stretch but is there anybody in San Diego that would happen to have a CDI that I can swap in to test?

Also anybody in SD that wants to ride, let me know and I'm in, that is if I get this thing running...

One other thing to mention is that the green starter button sometimes doesnt work. Only for a few seconds then its back to normal, it started happening after the incident i described. Could that affect the spark?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

Welcome to the forums and sorry it had to be for technical advice. Salt water really takes a toll on electrical connections. Sounds like this was a fresh water ski and within 30 minutes, the salt found the weak point. This is not uncommon.

Your going to want to trace all your electrical lines and make sure you have a good connections. This might mean that you need to open up your e box and peek around. Look for corrosion, tight connections, loose wires, water ect.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. I looked through all the tech info and opened the ebox. Everything looked tight with no corrosion. Thats how I tested the stator wire. I guess this is my excuse to buy an aftermarket CDI. I just hope that resolves the issue. Any other advice? Thanks

Fro Diesel

creative control
Its been about 4 days but I got the salt water out of the engine right away.

No sir, you did NOT get all the water out. It is imperative that you get it running...IN THE WATER...to create a load on the motor via the pump and cook the excess moisture out. You can't just sink a ski, empty the water, brap it few times on the trailer, and call it...all good..

I would:
disconnect the black n white wires that kill the motor on the start stop swt harness. Reconnect once it is running to kill motor.

A faulty swt is 90 of no start issues. Especially since you say that the green button doesn't always work..besides you ride salt with a swt that is 20years old....

Let us know what it takes to get her going again.

sent from Fro Diesel using tapatalk2

I took it into a local shop because I still couldnt get a spark after disconnecting the kill switch at the ebox and everything else looked ok. However, the starter WAS the issue but the water in the engine is where its getting expensive, I dont want to even mention how much, lets just say I'm holding off on the intake grate and EPIC ignition for now. Its too bad such a small thing caused so many problems because I had to tow it in. There was more water in the carb and in the engine (thanks Fro Diesel for the advice). Water in the gas tank as well. The water is out and its running well. I'm going to take it out and run it hard this weekend. For future, what is the best way to tow these things, I was wondering if towing it backwards would keep it out of the water better? Im getting a automatic bilge pump for sure.

It sounds like these starters fail all the time. Does anybody have a solution to this? Anybody try running a kawi starter switch?

put a water line shut off on the 3/8" hose thats coming from your pump to the motor (cooling). when you tow a ski it pressurizes the pump and pushes water into your motor. also make sure your stock siphon bilge hose (the one with a 90 degree fitting) is routed up above the water line other wise water will flow backwards through it when the motor is not running. and lastly if your riding salt water leave your electronics STOCK

was it the starter or the start/stop switch? the oem starters doent always fail, not in my experience anyway.

sorry you had a bad first ride.

theres lots of smart and helpful folks on here who can help you fix all this yourself so it's not so expensive next time.

Top Bottom