sn or rn for freestyle??

Big Kahuna

Administrator
for flat water, the RN is able to be thrown around much easier.... There is a reason that you do not see anybody competing on a SN at any of the competitions...

ANT

Just ride
i've owned both there really is no difference. it's basically what you can afford. if you do get a squarenose then you need to do two things, replace the handlepole with a roundnose handlepole and do the hood mod<- it takes a lot of weight away from the top of the ski and take in a lot less water which can save a lot of headaches with your motor.
the older squarenose hulls from 90-93 do have weak topdecks they are made of metton which is basically plastic, but dont worry about it being weak its going to be your first freestyle ski and it's going to get beat up so why spend a lot of money on a ski now. when you get the hang of things and the sn gets beat up then get your motor and all and bolt it in a rn hull.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Get a square, play with it, learn tricks, stick it into sand bars and modify at will.
Build up a nice drive line over time and throw it into the square and go perfect your tricks.
While you are getting better and better save up your coins (by not spending it on fancy stuff) and when the time comes pick up an aftermarket hull. Throw your drive line into the shiny new hull and ride some more.
Stick that long forgotten stock drive line back into that tired square hull. Sell it for what you paid for it and let the next person learn tricks.

You see, no need for the RN other than to supply the squares with parts.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :cheer:

:wall:

oh

Get a square, play with it, learn tricks, stick it into sand bars and modify at will.
Build up a nice drive line over time and throw it into the square and go perfect your tricks.
While you are getting better and better save up your coins (by not spending it on fancy stuff) and when the time comes pick up an aftermarket hull. Throw your drive line into the shiny new hull and ride some more.
Stick that long forgotten stock drive line back into that tired square hull. Sell it for what you paid for it and let the next person learn tricks.

You see, no need for the RN other than to supply the squares with parts.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :cheer:

GREAT PLAN...so i thought and then one day it happend....and now....I cant go back anymore...the RN doesnt feel right anymore....the more time went by the square got better and better...and now I am a point of no return:1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
get whatever suits you.

more after market bolt on parts for a RN hull.

squares are cheaper.

Ive purchased COMPLETE running legal and ridable squarenose boats for WAY less than half of what ive seen the cheapest ever Round nose hull sell for.

Im not spending money on "show" im more about spending $$$ on the "go" part of it.

bottom hulls are the same, and handling difference felt is in the tuning, and accessories on the particular boat.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
buying parts for RN.......

lets say we buy a pole and bracket to get the same effect.....which we arent....usually its to put on that nice lowered hood, thats shorter, weighs less, takes in less water, and breaths better then that SN hood. Can you cut up a stock hood sure....but still same height and weight(if not more form the mods) Oh and the stainless steel bracket, is a nice strength mod over the crunchy stock ones that like to crack and corrode

We also can bolt these nice pole systems right up with little trouble. We dont have to do conversions just run run our style of handle poles....

Also notice how when people lawn dart into the sand....SNs pretty much just break off while RN "scrunch up" that can be repaired instead of buying a new hulla nd doing all mods over again.

Plus the nice thing of running dual carbs stock, and better cases.

Then to top it off, the RN is much better looking......

I'm sure didnt even worry about the looks of a car when you bought it, only its ability to drive you around?

hey... I ride Kawi so none of this applys to me.

as for the car annalogy... I hate the way my truck looks, but it was IMHO the best truck based on my comparisons.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
the older squarenose hulls from 90-93 do have weak topdecks they are made of metton which is basically plastic,

All Squarenose hulls (90-95) have metton top deck, hood, and plastic pole.
They're all that way, not just early years.

In my experience, you can make either handle whichever way you want.
The Squarenose hull (Topdeck and hood) are more prone to cracking, as is the stock pole.

All Squarenose hulls (90-95) have metton top deck, hood, and plastic pole.
They're all that way, not just early years.

In my experience, you can make either handle whichever way you want.
The Squarenose hull (Topdeck and hood) are more prone to cracking, as is the stock pole.

You must have seen my square nose........It has a few cracks....okay, more than a few.

I have owned and ridden both. You will get used to either. A good share of handling differences are in set up.
My Square is way more stable than my RN, but it's also at least 50lbs heavier.

I vote RN if your budget permits. If you are trying to stick with a budget build, stick with a sn. Make sure it's a 701 and not a 650 motor. Even an older 701 with 61X cases is way better than the 650.

Chad

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
havent read this whole thing, but I rock a square and love it, I thinks it nimble but i started with it stock and built it how I wanted progressed my riding style with the mods over the year. Ive ridden some very nicely tuned flatwater RN's and I gotta say the RN is way more stable and easier to flip in flatwater. I was on a rn messing with hood tricks and I could not fall off, was doing the ol buckin bronco on the hood and still couldnt flip myself off, on my square it just isnt like that. Either way build a motor or buy one and put some footholds youll be set.

Top Bottom