sn or rn for freestyle??

people like both, I would grab a SN and put an aftermarket pole. The SN has a lower pole bracket for what I'm told. Make sure you get the 701 motor. Look around for one with some aftermarket parts, it'll save you thousands!!! I built an SXR but it cost a lot of money and is still heavier although I've lightened it considerable.

SuperjetSteve

Go Big or Go Home
Why waste the money on a RN? Get a SN with aftermarket parts.Its got a lowered pole bracket already so thats going to save you a couple hundred.Yes the RN looks better but why spent the extra couple grand to make it look nice?

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
Why waste the money on a RN? Get a SN with aftermarket parts.Its got a lowered pole bracket already so thats going to save you a couple hundred.Yes the RN looks better but why spent the extra couple grand to make it look nice?

The same reason you spent extra money to paint yours. a couple of grand more if your buying a much newer one. You can spend 2k a get a RN. Also has dual carbs and different cases. Then theres the fact that there are more upgrades for RNs.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
Hey guys, not trying to steal a thread, but i've got a 1990 SN superjet that has only cosmetics after market parts like UMI bars, Blowsion bildge switch, hydroturf, and side lifters. It does only have a 650, but it's clean and only used in fresh water. Could be a good build for someone who has the time. The SN is the white one in my picture below each post. Just thought i'd see if there is any intrest.

SuperjetSteve

Go Big or Go Home
The same reason you spent extra money to paint yours. a couple of grand more if your buying a much newer one. You can spend 2k a get a RN. Also has dual carbs and different cases. Then theres the fact that there are more upgrades for RNs.

I bought the ski with the paint like that.I would never spend money to get a ski painted.You can spend the extra grand and get a stock RN with no mods but for 2500 you can have a full blown SN. Your choice.

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
How much more is a RN upgradeable than a SN? I really don't think its enough to get a RN.

depends on what you call an upgrade.

if you feel that geting new pole brackets and low-pro hoods and such to get the same effect that you would get from a stock SN is an upgrade... then yeah, there are lots more. :jester:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
I have ridden both, and I can honestly say I like the way a SN handles compared to a round. I am rather novice to the sport, but it was enough to be easily distinguishable. The SN seems more stable, and for me it was easier to do a bit of carving with. The RN feels a bit lighter, though I doubt it actually is. It's alot more sensitive to rider input. That said, I am currently rebuild a square that I will have about 3-4 thousand in when done, and I have no doubt that I will not regret it.

I am mostly a rec/surf rider, and aside from subs, I don't care much for flatwater freestyle. To each their own... :)

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
Every ski rides and handles much differently. The fact is that the RN and SN have the same bottom hull. So most of the varitation you notice between the 2 skis has little to do with it being a RN or SN. I've ridden RN that I hate, and RN that I love. If you have the money, get a RN. They look better. Theres more parts for them. The handle pole is way better. The hood does a better job keeping water out. And the motor is a 62t that gives a dual carbs and a few more HP stock. Also the RN hulls are stronger. The older SN hulls are paper thin.

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
Every ski rides and handles much differently. The fact is that the RN and SN have the same bottom hull. So most of the varitation you notice between the 2 skis has little to do with it being a RN or SN. I've ridden RN that I hate, and RN that I love. If you have the money, get a RN. They look better. Theres more parts for them. The handle pole is way better. The hood does a better job keeping water out. And the motor is a 62t that gives a dual carbs and a few more HP stock. Also the RN hulls are stronger. The older SN hulls are paper thin.

X2

Mike hit a few points and summed it up for ya...

I will add, if you get a RN and ever need to get your cash back quick, it's pretty easy to find a buyer for a RN......

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
depends on what you call an upgrade.

if you feel that geting new pole brackets and low-pro hoods and such to get the same effect that you would get from a stock SN is an upgrade... then yeah, there are lots more. :jester:

buying parts for RN.......

lets say we buy a pole and bracket to get the same effect.....which we arent....usually its to put on that nice lowered hood, thats shorter, weighs less, takes in less water, and breaths better then that SN hood. Can you cut up a stock hood sure....but still same height and weight(if not more form the mods) Oh and the stainless steel bracket, is a nice strength mod over the crunchy stock ones that like to crack and corrode

We also can bolt these nice pole systems right up with little trouble. We dont have to do conversions just run run our style of handle poles....

Also notice how when people lawn dart into the sand....SNs pretty much just break off while RN "scrunch up" that can be repaired instead of buying a new hulla nd doing all mods over again.

Plus the nice thing of running dual carbs stock, and better cases.

Then to top it off, the RN is much better looking......

I'm sure didnt even worry about the looks of a car when you bought it, only its ability to drive you around?

Last edited:
Top Bottom