So how long? (Barrel roll content)

I went out today for my third time, and I'm starting to get pretty comfortable on the ski. I was wondering how difficult and how long does it take to be able to pull of a barrel roll? Are they pretty dangerous to learn. I assume that it will take many times of not making it around. I think I'll wear my helmet when I attempt these. Am I just wishfull thinking here, or is this something thats possible for a beginner?

BTW, I ride on lakes primarily. I'm sure it would take a pretty decent wake for me to pull this off.

freestylegeek

waiting...
It took me 5 years before I could do it, but Rick Roy and Eric Malone were the only ones doing them then. These days, it seems people start riding, and 3 months later they are rolling.

cambo au

TRYING TO LEARN
where a helmet thats all i will say if your feet come out of the lifters upside down the ski tends to meet with your head or it dose with me anyway

aqua

the taco
it all depends on your skill level. i was rolling a ski on my second time out. backflips were a little harder though.....i think those were on my 4th or 5th time out.

i wish

If your skill level is with the 3rd time out (meaning you don't hve 3 years experience other than that) then I would say you can't pull one off with a pro freestyle ski. Reading your signature then I would say you need to start with the basics and get the sub, nose stab, and start getting unverted subs then work on to rolling. Most of the people on this board can't pull off a clean roll and have been riding for YEARS. So without a ton of HP and a really good coach try all you want.

I have never wore a helmet have drove into the water on purpose just to tell my self it won't hurt but I still can't commit to a huge roll off of a boat wake. SO I would say NO the water won't hurt you just do it.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I rode for one year and started doing half-assed stabs. Last year, I got wake stabs down good, and after 2 years of riding, I got 3/4 rolls down.

Practice practice practice.

cambo au

TRYING TO LEARN
i started trying rolls before i could nose stab and my body wears the scars i have 8 stitchs in my eyebrow and another 6 in my leg where my handlebar mounted bilge switch went through my leg now 1.5 years latter i can stab good i think so anyway and am just starting to get my rolls underway 90% there

i have been riding for 2years, i pulled the barrel roll on my first attempt in the waves but flat water is a different story, i have been doing them for months and am closing in on plate to plate, but i ski with ant burgess which helps

Y

yamaslut

surf roll plate to plate in 3 months after stepping on a sj...

DO NOT WAIT TO START TRYING!!!!

it takes years to perfect your roll, so get started now...

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Flat water rolls are probably the hardest trick to get completely around because it's more about technique than power. Off a wake is easier, surf is easiest.

Some people are just naturals, others have great teachers that show them the right techniques from the beginning so they don't start bad habits, and others are like me....

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
surf roll plate to plate in 3 months after stepping on a sj...

DO NOT WAIT TO START TRYING!!!!

it takes years to perfect your roll, so get started now...

I’m with slutty. My first attempt was on the first day I bought my SJ. skip the small stuff, learn what you want to do. The idea of build up to a trick sucks. The amount of people stuck on stabs is silly.

I can’t sub or stab but I can roll and flip. :biggthumpup:

Y

yamaslut

fyi - I am no natural, by any standard either....
I just wanted to learn so bad

Hey Gents,

Newbie here, just looking to get back into the sport. How much horsepower are you guys needing for barrel rolls and flatwater flips? I'm a 212 lbs guy, on a mildly modified ski, is a barrel roll even possible without a stroker or big bore motor?

Thanks.

-M

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Hey Gents,

Newbie here, just looking to get back into the sport. How much horsepower are you guys needing for barrel rolls and flatwater flips? I'm a 212 lbs guy, on a mildly modified ski, is a barrel roll even possible without a stroker or big bore motor?

Thanks.

-M

Rolls are more technique than power. Pipe, head, ignition and you can get most of the way around if you have the proper technique.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
A barrel roll is possible on a stock 701 SJ, by the capable.

Me, being an untalented hack, can do 3/4 rolls off my own wake on a ported/piped/TL'd 717cc motor.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I’m with slutty. My first attempt was on the first day I bought my SJ. skip the small stuff, learn what you want to do. The idea of build up to a trick sucks. The amount of people stuck on stabs is silly.

I can’t sub or stab but I can roll and flip. :biggthumpup:

That's true in the surf, but not on flatwater. It's a lot easier to roll when you have some decent air time, but a flatwater roll takes a lot of technique to get the rotation fast enough. To get that technique down, the trick build up is a good thing.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
That's true in the surf, but not on flatwater. It's a lot easier to roll when you have some decent air time, but a flatwater roll takes a lot of technique to get the rotation fast enough. To get that technique down, the trick build up is a good thing.

I'm so stuck on stabs. I can do them pretty good though. I need to step it up. Bluegtate was trying them this weekend. He got a couple of them 180 degrees. That was sunday morning. He was working me up to them for Monday morning, but the waves sucked worse than any other day this weekend.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I'm so stuck on stabs. I can do them pretty good though. I need to step it up. Bluegtate was trying them this weekend. He got a couple of them 180 degrees. That was sunday morning. He was working me up to them for Monday morning, but the waves sucked worse than any other day this weekend.

Yeah - I love big air stabs: that great floaty feeling on your way over.... The problem with getting too hooked on stabs is that it's hard to make yourself continue the rotation when you start to roll. I just wouldn't wait to start rolling once you have stabs down.

Top Bottom