So how long? (Barrel roll content)

Y

yamaslut

ever since i learned how to BR, i can't do stabs anymore.. any time i try to do a huge stab, i end up doing a huge bronco and it's pretty much the scariest crap-your-pants feeling EVER.

yeah... and lots of fiberglass work

I think it also depends on who you ride with. Ride with people that are doing them and it will push you harder. Also they can give you tips on technique.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I think it also depends on who you ride with. Ride with people that are doing them and it will push you harder. Also they can give you tips on technique.

Yup, I think that has a lot to do with it also. In my area there are no other jet skiier's that have more skill than our little group. We ride Pismo every once in a while, but its not enough to push us. It's usually within our group of guys where we get our competition from. Once one of use starts rolling, I think we all will start trying.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Yup, I think that has a lot to do with it also. In my area there are no other jet skiier's that have more skill than our little group. We ride Pismo every once in a while, but its not enough to push us. It's usually within our group of guys where we get our competition from. Once one of use starts rolling, I think we all will start trying.

be that guy.

Once you get upside down you won't be able to get enough of it. it's freaking awesome.

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.

AMEN, been saying this for 2 yrs., hense my struggle, no one in the 615 is doin rolls and there ore only 2 of us who have even tried. If there were just one that knew how in the bunch it would make it that much easier I believe.
Stabs are huge and not a problem, once Toby started stabs they came easy to me though him. I cant get the roll though, no one to teach.

W

wydopen

I'm so stuck on stabs. I can do them pretty good though. I need to step it up. Bluegtate was trying them this weekend. He got a couple of them 180 degrees. That was sunday morning. He was working me up to them for Monday morning, but the waves sucked worse than any other day this weekend.

chris you got it...your stabs are nearly upside down anyways....i tried my first br a month after i got my sj..it was on flatwater and i got almost 3/4...the same day i smashed my head into the hood and had to get stiches...wear a helmet...i tried em in the surf after that and got em pretty quick...once i learned them in the surf it made em that much harder on the flat...now i have straps in my ski so i cant do em even if i wanted to on flatwater(i cant use my footwells anymore)..i have yet to try one surfstance but i will as soon as the surf permits..now its bf time

Wow! You guys rule! Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect so many. I think in about a couple weeks, I'll throw the helmet on, and go looking for some big wake. I think its something that I can pick up. Although I'm new to this sport, I've raced motocross for many years, and I stunt a street bike quite well so I know what it takes to learn and become good at this type of stuff.

So it sounds like it will probably take me a lot of get offs while learning but if I'm wearin my helmet I should be relatively alright. I hope...

I will keep you guys updated.

BTW, I am positive that I could not do this without a decent wake so I won't attempt it without one.

Also, what exactly are 3/4 rolls. Just not quite making it all the way around, but still riding out?

Y

yamaslut

Wow! You guys rule! Thanks for all the replies. I didn't expect so many. I think in about a couple weeks, I'll throw the helmet on, and go looking for some big wake. I think its something that I can pick up. Although I'm new to this sport, I've raced motocross for many years, and I stunt a street bike quite well so I know what it takes to learn and become good at this type of stuff.

So it sounds like it will probably take me a lot of get offs while learning but if I'm wearin my helmet I should be relatively alright. I hope...

I will keep you guys updated.

NEVER LET GO!!!! Unless you have to...

Not the same rules as MX when it comes to bailing. You are better off connected most of the time because you are in the water...

team510

squarenose
its all about how big your nads are. i think the biggest thing is having the sack to just huck it. im pretty sure ill never grow a pair big enough =)

NEVER LET GO!!!! Unless you have to...

Not the same rules as MX when it comes to bailing. You are better off connected most of the time because you are in the water...

Yeah thats what I've been hearing. By "get offs" I just mean crashing. I figure, you can't consider it a landed trick if you don't ride off on your feet. In this case at least.

Y

yamaslut

Yeah thats what I've been hearing. By "get offs" I just mean crashing. I figure, you can't consider it a landed trick if you don't ride off on your feet. In this case at least.

COOL... just didn't know how clued in you were yet
:biggthumpup:

I figure, you can't consider it a landed trick if you don't ride off on your feet.

Almost everyone can ride out on their feet from a complete nose stab. So for this trick it isn't considered complete untill you can do one without getting your hair wet. OR put your new Yamaha hat on and try a roll. If your hat is still dry and on your head then come coach me how to them... LOL

You should pratice making and hitting your setup wake. You need to learn how and where the setup wake is the best. Your timing on the wake is the most important. I tought myself overrotated nose stabs without a setup wake at all. I can't get my timing down to hit a wake. If I could do that I would be great at rolls. But a roll without a setup wake (on flatwater) is close to impossible.

P.S. fillout you location so we all know where you are.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Good to see another MN rider, check out our site.

Come ride with us, we should have a couple people who are going to try rolling this season...just need to nut up!

Squarenose

Gotta Getaway, HolyDiver!
I just finished up my foot holds friday, and have already lost my nose piece doing subs. I just cant seem to trick myself into going inverted. I can do subs, fountains, and stabs, but no barrel roll. My ski is mostly stock, but I have tons of waves to launch off of, just stay away from sand bars.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Talk about good timing.
Just yesterday I decided to give a BR a try on flat water.

I can't hit my setup wake to save my life (need to work on the timing) so I tried to make up for the lack of talent with speed.
The first attempt was not bad (at least I started the rotation) than the second one ended with a freaky stab and me collecting the handle pole.
From now on I will keep my helmet on. :biggthumpup:

The biggest help is to ride along side someone who can roll.
I did that on the Monday in Daytona and the nose stab thing became so clear after watching it live.

I want to flat water roll my 650 square or destroy it trying.:cheer:

Top Bottom