Super Jet Solas Mag Pump Ate My Bearings- How About You?

Has anyone considered using a self aligning ball bearing for the front bearing on the Solas "Mag" pump?

From the SKF website.

The self-aligning ball bearing was invented by SKF. It has two rows of balls and a common sphered raceway in the outer ring. The bearings are consequently self-aligning and insensitive to shaft deflections and angular misalignment of the shaft relative to the housing. Additionally, self-aligning ball bearings generate less friction than any other type of rolling bearing, which enables them to run cooler even at high speeds.

I noticed my alignment had to be dead nuts, if it wasnt' the front bearing made a bit of noise. This bearing may alleviate some mis-alignment issues. Although I am sure you don't want any deflection in the shaft which could push the prop into the wear-ring.

SKF part number: 1205 EKTN9

How much mis-alignment do you think the shaft seals can take?

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
By chance of those of you that have blown up pumps, were you using welded OEM drive shafts, WSM shafts, or legit SJ OEM shafts??

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Mine was OEM too.
Nothing wrong with the shaft, went back to OEM housing and ran fine all last season
Still thinking about sending my SOL pump out to be machined
Loved the performance, hated the failure rate

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
My Kawasaki Solas Mag just puked a bunch of rusty vomit out of the rear so I ordered the rebuild kit from Dave at Impros.

:sigh:

spookyjjj

Back @ it
I have about 10 hours on my JetManiac Solas pump build. It's running just fine. The driveline alignment is key even if it wasn't a Solas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Since Jetmaniac isn't rebuilding pumps currently, I'm forced to do it myself. How do I get the current seals out?

Top Bottom