Surfriding Solas Mag worth it????

I bought a solas mag, but am debating if I really want to install it. I am running a 762cc 5 mill cast Dasa this year. I have a superfreak and have been running it the last two seasons with the stock pump and a ported 701. I have been really happy with how it hooked up. More importantly I have loved how predictably it slides and feels on a wave. I ride 75% small surf. About the only time I noticed a hook up issues was when riding on the west coast, but that's only a few days a year.

Anybody else still running stock pumps or am I the only one left?????
I don't want to go through the work of changing it only to find out I don't like the extra hook up on the face of a wave.

Chad

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
I have zero surf experience with it, but the hook up difference is amazing going from stock 144 to solas mag section. One thing you may like a lot is the difference in recovery from tricks and, or getting back up and on plane very fast compared to stock.

Idok will tell ya he doesn't like the extra hookup in surf and sold his scat mag.I was debating running one but don't like the idea of 5 lbs extra weight. Bought a carbon hull to have good power to weight ratio. I would think a stock pump hooks up better with a light hull vs a heavy SJ hull because of less load to overcome.

djraider700

lol wut?
I use the Solas mag in the surf. Huge difference in hook up and control in the white water. Better recovery. It actually helps you slide by giving you the added thrust to kick the tail around. Just a quick blip of the throttle to come out of a slide or redirect the angle of the ski.

The stock pump works for most but switching over really makes the small hub 6 vane stator seem like the piece of early 1990's pump technology that it is.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
It will still slide when you want it to, you just have to relearn how to shift your balance to get it to do it. I cursed my setback mag when I first got it but once I learned how/where to place my weight, I can slide it out whenever I want and then make it hook just as well I need to. It's the best of both worlds in my mind but it does take some time to adjust to.

tipafew... did you get a 5 millimeter shorter drive shaft? I am going to try a stock pump with a 900 Npv engine.

No, I have heard I might have an issue there.
I was thinking about pulling my midshaft and pressing that a little farther into the carrier. I have room to slide the motor a little without issues.
Has anybody ever looked into just shortening the stock shaft? Are the splines long enough to just take a little off the end?

Top Bottom