Freestyle Solas SS 'Mag' Nonsetback 144mm pump REVIEW

Chris hook me up with Solas, she's a little heavy but still hot ! l rode Carls ski and it had insane hook up, the perfect surf pump IMO .

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
Heres a question with the mag pumps using the stock reduction nozzle... non setback pumps have a gap between the stator veins and the reduction nozzle veins. The mag pump has 12 veins and the reduction nozzle has 6 veins, so is the gap between the veins big enough to not affect water flow and direction?
On a stock pump the stator veins are as deep as the stator section (starting at the front and continuing to the back of the stator section) and the stator veins line up perfectly with the reduction nozzle veins to continue directing the flow of water. With a setback mag pump that has 12 veins mating to a stock reduction nozzle with 6 veins the veins wont line up to eachother or have the same curvature so do you grind the veins down on the reduction nozzle?
Im curious what people are doing with both setups (keep the reduction nozzle veins or cut/grind them out) Ive never bought a Skat mag so maybe they come with a reduction nozzle? I have too many skis so the cheaper cost of the Solas mag is appealing to me and I ride surf mostly so the weight isnt a huge deal when considering the price difference from the Skat. (I will buy 3 Solas mags for the price of a setback Skat)
Thanks

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I have a setback 12vein mag and run a stock nozzle. I was running an 85mm nozzle for a while with two or three cracked off veins. Didn't notice any difference going back to a stocker with 6 functioning intact veins.

Last edited:

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
True but I thought the setback pumps were only setback like 1 1/2-2". It's worth looking into. I've thought of the same thing using the B1 driveshaft and just relocating the pump inserts for the rest of additional length of the B1 shaft. Then you'd save the cost of a setback shaft, you'd have a setback pump (stator section) and you'd be physically mounting the pump assembly further back on the ski. Since it's only setting the pump assembly back only about an inch I think steering cable could be adjusted or modded to accept the extra length

Top Bottom