Spark only comes from fwd pug wire, no spark to rear

I have a 1995 blaster 1 61x. Been seizing the rear cyl a few times now. Just refurbed top end, pressure checked, new sbn 46 and went out to ride. Sounded rough and different, went to get on it and bogged, came in looked at the plugs and rear plug looked like I just took it out of the box. Even compression 180psi. At night pulled both boots off. plugs out. motored over and pointed fwd lead to bold, spark jumped half inch/ Did same w/ rear. no spark at all. Ohmed thru sec coil and got 4.3 k right in the middle of range. I replaced this coil w/ an after market one about a year ago. inner electrode looks perfect, even cut a quarter inch off. Both boots ohm at 4.9 k . I have not broken into the e box yet to get the primary reading. I just dont understand it, both plugs fire at the same time at tdc and bdc so spark is getting to the coil, if it ohms good why is it only coming out of 1 lead? Please help if you can, thanks.

Attachments

• may 2012 003.jpg
    may 2012 003.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 13
  • may 2012 005.jpg
    may 2012 005.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210725_164525.jpg
    20210725_164525.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 13

Myself

manic mechanic
There's likely a break in the plug wires somewhere. Electricity finds the least resistant path to ground. If there's a break somewhere the spark has to jump. The more load, the worse it gets. You can put new plug wires on an old oem coil.

I think I will buy an oem coil first. Am I right by saying that if I am getting a strong spark up front that the flywheel,stator coil and cdi are good? BTW that first pic is my old eng.

That's what I thought but I got good ohms thru it. But I also know that you can still get continuity even if all but 1 wire in the strand is broken. What I really need to test it with is a megger that is the true test of the health of a conductor. Like I said, I will buy a new oem coil and update my results.

Installed a new msd coil, problem solved, both cyl fire. Sometimes elec parts are hard to t/s as I was getting good readings from the old one and when I say old it has been in the ski for a year- note to self- do not buy cheap aftermarket crap!

Attachments

• 20230707_150254.jpg
    20230707_150254.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230707_150247.jpg
    20230707_150247.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I know a lot of guys used to use Polaris coils also but I have no idea what they were off of, I do know the wires were not glued into the coils on the Polaris .
After doing some research the coils they were using are off a Polaris Snowmobile, I put an Ebay link below , it is not for an OEM coil but the part number in the link is correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom