Stock 08 or modded 05??

I am thinking of getting a SJ. I have ridden for years but am not a nut (no flips, rolls, etc.,) and am looking at two skis. One is a completely stock 08 the other is a saltwater ridden 05 with nice mods. The 08 is about $1000 less $$. I'm coming from riding a modded 750sx. I don't want to spend a ton of time working on my next ski or adding thousands of dollars in mods. So, I am curious, which is considered the better ski, the stock 08 or the modded 05?

Thanks.

John

i guess it depends on the mods, my 09 handles so much better (to me) than the other hulls (once you fix the steering). of course with 1000 bucks you can add alot to the 08 pipe/head/footholds and still have the newer hull design.

Stay with the SJ ,, but if the modded 05 has Tubbies added to it , it would be almost the same. Then again an 08 is really nice starting platform. The 05 salt water ski scaes me because no mod can protect you from bad cleanings.

yeah it takes alot to keep a ski in nice shape when riding in saltwater, if all of that care wasn't taken you might find yourself chasing a lot of electrical problems down in that ski over time.

I would be occasionally riding in salt water as well. I know it takes some time and dedication to keeping a ski in great shape when riding in salt water. Sounds like the ski has about 20 or so rides in salt water and has some nice mods on it.

I would be occasionally riding in salt water as well. I know it takes some time and dedication to keeping a ski in great shape when riding in salt water. Sounds like the ski has about 20 or so rides in salt water and has some nice mods on it.

plenty of people take great care of saltwater skis. i was only saying as a consideration since it sounds like you are 50/50 on which one you want.

I want simple mods that do not affect the reliability of the ski. I'm not interested in a total loss system, huge carbs, etc. I'm a recreational rider but enjoy lots of power and pull. My 750sx with the mods it has is too fast for me at top speed. Low end and mid pull is most important to me. I like the 05 only because it is ready to go whereas the 08 would need a bit of $$ and mods done to it as soon as I got the ski!

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
If you like to carve or hit bouys get the 08' for sure. if you like to try tricks and want to do some freestyle get something modded already. If your not sure go with the modded ski so long as it is in Great shape. There are alot of nice modded ski's be choosey and make sure you get one that is miticulously taken care of. Otherwise 08' and go from scratch.

Top Bottom