Suggested Freestyle Mods?

Hey guys, love this site! I have been looking for a freestyle site for a long time now. I am planning on buying a 92 SX650 next weekend, the guy only wants 400 for it. It's exactly the same ski I used to own and same year so I know they're ultra reliable. The ski looked like it was in good shape last year when I first seen it, but it's been outside in the snow and all for the last 2 seasons so it will need to be checked over with a fine toothed comb.

I was wondering what would be the most important first mod to do it so I can get into some freestyle. I have a small list of things I plan on doing to it. I want to bring it's power up to be reliable but good for freestyle. I will list my ideas, so hopefully that will be a good start. If you guys could help me with what you think about it and what you would do before anything else, that would be great. I have been told all too often to get a SuperJet but I live up here in Ontario Canada and finding one of those things is impossible. I've checked everywhere with no luck. Plus the chances of finding one as cheap as this ski is probably wouldn't happen anyway.

I am running on a low budget right now which is why I ask for the most important mod first. This is what I want to do to it when I get it, if anyone sees something that I shouldn't do, by all means throw out what you recommend, I'm all ears here guys and thanks a lot for any input. I don't want to grenade the engine or something else go seriously wrong, but I do want to keep with pump fuel if you were wondering. Here's the list...

-Replace the piston rings
-Hone the cylinders
-Deck the cylinders by .002"
-Mill the head by .002"
-Polish the exhaust ports and piston faces
-Mod the exhaust (it changes the water path for apparently 9-10 more HP)
-Replace the OEM reeds with one piece reeds (have them from the last ski)
-Carb kit
-Possibly mod the steering nozzle at the cable mount for faster turning

Last edited:
advance the timing and a 15.5 straight ss impeller and you should be ok for a little while.

Last edited:
i would skip the carb kit and buy a carb and an intake. a 44sbn works nice on a 650 sx and you can find them relatively cheap. you can make it run and be reliable but it want be cheap.

Straight 15 degree ss prop. Intake grate. Bars. Finger throttle. Modify nozzle for more steering throw.

Ride it.
Save money and upgrade to a Superjet when you have this boat mastered.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
If you figure out a mod for the stock exhaust that adds 10 HP to a ski that only has 50 hp (thus a 20% increase in power), please be sure to let me know so I can do it too.

If you figure out a mod for the stock exhaust that adds 10 HP to a ski that only has 50 hp (thus a 20% increase in power), please be sure to let me know so I can do it too.

I'm at work right now but i found a link that shows how to do it. I think it helps dry the exhaust a little more allowing higher air flow. I'll post the link tonight when I get home and I'll post pics of that mod as I am doing it. Thank you a ton to everyone that offered up their thoughts and keep em coming. Before getting onto this site I had no idea footholds even existed. So far it seems that the impeller is the most important, that may have to wait for a bit because they are pretty costly here (350+) Is it possible to deck the cylinders and mill the head more than a total of .004" before needing to go to AV fuel? Hey DanceswithSuperjet, for the steering nozzle mod,what do you recommend for the best set-up? I was going to make a new loction for the steering cable to give it a faster response...probably the same as better throw but I'm interested to hear your thoughts of how you would do it. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
I did that to the stock pipe in my X2 and its a pretty trick FREE mod. It will dry out the pipe. Also added a Jet Dynamics flow control valve to the pisser line.

One more thing you can do is cut the 4' section off another stock 650 sx pipe and weld it to your existing 650 sx pipe cone. It extends the actual cone and helps with bottom end.

- D-cut your ride plate for surf
- Cut your tray and widen/carve out foot holds
- If you can find a 44mm carb and intake then great! If your on a budget, like me, you can take a stock intake manifold and bore it to accept a 38mm carb. It's a whole lot cheaper!
- Drill a new hole in your nozzle to move the cable in farther. This will give you quicker steering. Try to find a quick steer plate as well. They are fairly cheap for the 650's

Just my .02 cents :)

Cheers to that :friday: But because they are pretty well non-existent around here, I'll take any running SJ, in mint condition, and with free shipping to compete with the deal I'm getting on the SX650 :fing02:

I did that to the stock pipe in my X2 and its a pretty trick FREE mod. It will dry out the pipe. Also added a Jet Dynamics flow control valve to the pisser line.

One more thing you can do is cut the 4' section off another stock 650 sx pipe and weld it to your existing 650 sx pipe cone. It extends the actual cone and helps with bottom end.

- D-cut your ride plate for surf
- Cut your tray and widen/carve out foot holds
- If you can find a 44mm carb and intake then great! If your on a budget, like me, you can take a stock intake manifold and bore it to accept a 38mm carb. It's a whole lot cheaper!
- Drill a new hole in your nozzle to move the cable in farther. This will give you quicker steering. Try to find a quick steer plate as well. They are fairly cheap for the 650's

Just my .02 cents :)

That's a lot of great info dude, when you mentioned D-cutting the ride plate, where do I do it, intake grate side or nozzle side? And how far in should the rounded part of the D go?

yes for sure...

Oh trust me, from what I have heard I would love to go with a SuperJet but as mentioned they are beyond extremely rare around here. I've sent out messages to every dealer of Yamaha, every repair shop I know of, checked all the classifieds within a 100 mile radius and nothing has turned up. I'm not really willing to drive more than 100 miles, the price of gas would get to be insane. Besides which this ski I'm going to pick up is only about 45 miles away and they only want $400.00 for it. For the things I can do to it for free it's a lot more feasible to me. One part I didn't mention is that due to the economy our shop had to apply for a work sharing package with the gov't. If they don't approve the application, then the only other option is laying off. So grabbing what I can while the getin's good is all I can do :biggrin:

It looks identical to my old ski here in the pic...

Attachments

• Jet-Ski.jpg
    Jet-Ski.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom