Other Sunk Ski in Lake Erie...how do we find it...

I agree that if we found it we could fire it right up...but I don't think he is ever going to see it again...:(

The lake gets sooooo rough and so cloudy.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
I am scheduled to search one more time tomorrow with some professionals. We are searching from the beach to near .5 mile out, the entire break wall to the west beach. If I do not find it then its safe to say its long gone. Too much time, energy has been spent on this and blood pressure has rose 200pts LOL. Since the ski went down I have basically been selling everything I own that doesn't have to do with skiing in order to fund a new build.

Why it,s underwater, motor isn't rusting, tear down clean and fire it up

I thought it was in the ocean.. I guess not?

Theres more things that can damage and engine and electronics than rust. The engine maybe fine but I'm sure there would be quite a few things that need replacing.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Lake Eerie is one of the five Great Lakes, probably one of the most prominent bodies of fresh water in North America. While high mineral content in lakes does happen, it is extremely rare.
:biggrin:

And I hear you on the waves. Maybe try Hood River on a windy day. But be ready to get raped by windsurfers and kite boarders

Last edited:
I tend not to know about unimportant details of life that don't effect me ;) But thanks for making me look stupid.

Hopefully I won't be this far inland for long. Bringing the ski back down to cali next month.

you guys are nuts if you think fresh water = no corrosion. Rust is only one form of corrosion, but anything iron (ie, steel) is likely done for if critical...like crank bearings.

The dissolved oxygen content and pH of freshwater DEFINITELY allows significant iron / steel corrosion to occur. The pH would have to be greater than about 9.5 for the formation of ferric hydroxide to slow things down.

As a rough order of magnitude, you're probably in the ballpark of losing .001" / month, probably more depending on dissolved oxygen content.

Get this Tread back on a positive....Who cares about rust and if it has any. As long as the ski gets found that's all that matters.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
All this talk of corrosion matters not unless the ski is found, don't listen to these guys put your efforts towards finding the ski.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
Yeah I will deal with whatever needs replaced when its found but as of right now the entire ski needs replaced...

Top Bottom