Votes: 30 30.6%
  • Flatwater

Votes: 39 39.8%
  • Both 50/50

Votes: 29 29.6%

• Total voters

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Some of the attitudes toward flatwater are just appalling.

Ever ride a stock 440? You'd be surprised that you can actually do these things called tricks on them, and they're a lot of fun. We rode the hell out of them back in the day and had fun doing it.

Need a $25,000 boat to do flatwater? You know the current amateur champ has just a big bore stock stroke engine in an oem hull and is almost pulling double rolls? I have a very similar setup and my ski probably isn't worth $4,000 on a good day.

BTW, I lived in Hawaii when I had my 550 mod, rode 4-5 times/week in both surf and flat, even some buoys tossed in. I'm not a surf snob, but I do know how to ride a wave.

Last edited:
We share "elitist" lol.Surfguys laugh at the flattys at the lake,It takes a special kinda rider to be a true ocean waterman and stay alive.
Flattys laugh at us with our 701 b pipe setups,takes a special kinda bank account to afford a true flat water light hull stroker total loss setup :pokey:

I see no reason why a surf rider would want to ride flats unless they want to compete more or give better sponsor rep and not be out in flats looking silly.it puzzels me why there are not more surf freerides on the x tour and so many flat spots.We will be doing our best to fix that in the future

Please.....
This is exactly the kind of attitude that disgusts me.
A true ocean waterman? LOL Get off your macho kick bro! I'll bet every flat rider here has ridden surf and loved it. I've never heard anyone say surf is too tough. Probably half the riders at the daytona freeride are mainly flat riders.
I have a 701 b pipe setup as well, and rarely get to ride surf. I've never laughed at surf only riders setups. Why spend money for power when its not needed. I do laugh at how nasty a lot of surf riders motors look though. lol

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
We share "elitist" lol.Surfguys laugh at the flattys at the lake,It takes a special kinda rider to be a true ocean waterman and stay alive.
Flattys laugh at us with our 701 b pipe setups,takes a special kinda bank account to afford a true flat water light hull stroker total loss setup :pokey:

I see no reason why a surf rider would want to ride flats unless they want to compete more or give better sponsor rep and not be out in flats looking silly.it puzzels me why there are not more surf freerides on the x tour and so many flat spots.We will be doing our best to fix that in the future

'true ocean waterman', I humbly bow to your greatness.:bow28:

Glory_Freestyle

Old, but still ridin'!!!
Please.....
A true ocean waterman? LOL Get off your macho kick bro! I'll bet every flat rider here has ridden surf and loved it. I've never heard anyone say surf is too tough. Probably half the riders at the daytona freeride are mainly flat riders.
I have a 701 b pipe setup as well, and rarely get to ride surf. I've never laughed at surf only riders setups. Why spend money for power when its not needed.

Amen, Brother Ronny.

Actually, in my opinion, it's way easier to do tricks/aerials in surf than it is on flat. The hardest part of doing tricks in surf is not letting yourself ride above your level of talent. It's pretty easy to go too big in surf.

Now actual surf riding is totally different story. I still can't slash or surf a wave all that great.

wydopen

onthepipe
Please.....

there is a difference between riding 2foot slop and riding double overhead drainers...not everyone can just go out and do it, so yes it can be too hard for some people or just out right dangerous..it takes experience, whether it be jetskiing, surfing, whatever to be competent in the ocean, the thing with jetskiing is you can put yourself in situations that you would never be able to get yourself in while surfing if you are inexperienced because you couldn't even make it 10ft off the beach when its big...my view is that if you cant get your ski and yourself back to the beach by yourself if it breaks you dont belong out there.....personally i dont enjoy riding my ski in a lake..its just not fun for me...

Last edited:

wydopen

onthepipe
Good point. And, as far as I can tell, you're not acting like you're "superior" to flatwater guys. You just like surf better.

yea im not saying flatwater dosnt take skills...tust me i can barley do a nose stab on flat water...the other day we were messing around when the surf was small and i tried to do a fountain..i felt pretty stupid when i couldnt do it after 3 tries

Glory_Freestyle

Old, but still ridin'!!!
yea im not saying flatwater dosnt take skills...tust me i can barley do a nose stab on flat water...the other day we were messing around when the surf was small and i tried to do a fountain..i felt pretty stupid when i couldnt do it after 3 tries

If you show me how to surf ride better, I'll show you how to do a fountain in the surf. :cool:

redrrocket

Graphics Guru
flat or surf.

cameronrichardson6gp.jpg
milf2.jpg

sadbush.jpg

what was the question?

I dont discriminate.. ridings riding.

brett

-------------
i prefer surf because i love to wash my gear and flush my ski every time i ride. i like rusty bolts and shorting electronics. i love thinkin about great whites while i swim back to my ski.....

stanton

High on jetskis.
I've never heard a mostly flat rider make fun of surf. Flat riders love to ride surf too.
BTW you don't need a monster motor to have fun or get air at the lake.
Listen to Pete, he has a good surf rider attitude, and recognizes skill surf or flat.
i wonder why? cmon ronny..
maybe to you, but my ski is overweight and underpowered for anything i classify as fun or air. i have been spoiled, ive taken my ski to the lake like 5 times, mostly when learing how to ride.

oh and petes also a sponsored rider...:bananapowerslide:

there is a difference between riding 2foot slop and riding double overhead drainers...not everyone can just go out and do it, so yes it can be too hard for some people or just out right dangerous..it takes experience, whether it be jetskiing, surfing, whatever to be competent in the ocean, the thing with jetskiing is you can put yourself in situations that you would never be able to get yourself in while surfing if you are inexperienced because you couldn't even make it 10ft off the beach when its big...my view is that if you cant get your ski and yourself back to the beach by yourself if it breaks you dont belong out there.....personally i dont enjoy riding my ski in a lake..its just not fun for me...

I'm well aware of the differences in surf. I raced the Busch world cup in 89 or 90 in Daytona. Hurricane Dean was off shore, and the surf was huge and insane. John Stevens crashed an involuntary backflip in pro modified.

I'm not arguing which is better, surf or flat. I think most flat guys would prefer to ride surf when given the choice. Myself included.
My problem is with the riders who believe they are somehow superior because they ride surf only, and talk down flat riders. This kind of separatism is one thing we don't need among standup riders.

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
I must admit, I'm a surf snob. I appreciate the skill it takes to be a good flatwater rider, but if I didn't live near the ocean, I would not own a ski.

BTW: I don't think I'm superior in any way, just a preferance. Like moto guys who only prefer track, or only prefer desert. 2 different cups of tea.

Last edited:
i wonder why? cmon ronny..
maybe to you, but my ski is overweight and underpowered for anything i classify as fun or air. i have been spoiled, ive taken my ski to the lake like 5 times, mostly when learing how to ride.

oh and petes also a sponsored rider...:bananapowerslide:

You are missing my point bro. This is not a surf over flat issue to me. You prefer surf, and you cant do anything on flat, I get it.
I'm talking about how some surf only riders think they are above all because they ride surf exclusively, and mock those who ride flat. Thats it.

kawasakit2me

Hooked on the Jamz
Flat can get boring if you don't race or freestyle.

Surf is way more fun.

We have no way to safely bring the little one along on the salt trips.... so flat it is.... until she can ride in the salt with us.

I plan on October being 10% salt.:wiggle:

and then longing for surf again for another 3 months.:puppy_dog_eyes:

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I ride 100% flat. I figure once I am killing it off boat wakes and my own set up wakes I'll be able to roll and backflip in the surf without even starting my ski. :nana:

And do I have fun in the flatwater??? More fun than ALMOST anything else I do in my life. :smlove2:

Top Bottom