Tanker Chasing On Galveston Bay

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
The local group got together today and went tanker chasing. Finally got some good footage with the gopro.

Video quality isnt the best, gotta get a good editing software for mp4.

Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q9LsjzZ9JLQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q9LsjzZ9JLQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
it is the HD but i have crappy FREE editing software for mp4 video. If anyone has a better suggestion or knows a cheap software, please let me know. That made it turn out HORRIBLE compared to the raw footage. i'm working on getting better software so the picture is much clearer. It takes amazing footage even on the lower quality settings. This was taken on 720p at 30fps.

And to the wake size, yeah that one set we got was massive at the shallow points. Towards the end its big enough to tower over my dad with him standing.

I would kill for that chit.....should be a free ride built around that! I don't think we get anything like that around here from our tugs/tankers.

Great vid.

Superjetter_95

Looking to the sky
yeah, on a good day you get quite a few big ships running by. We got two decent ones that day. If you could see the original video, it shows alot more of the waves that are actually visible. We had the X gopro as well, penguin had that strapped to his jacket to get some video for the x-video project. Im looking through more of the footage to find some more good shots, ill see if i can get some still frames out of it all :bigok:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I'm surprised you guys can ride in the Gulf right now. Is that slick anywhere near you?

They are a long way from the oil spill. And to give you an idea about how slow it moves, we were in FT Morgan (Right off the entrance to Mobile Bay) a month and a half ago, which was 2 weeks after it started and had no oil. The oil just hit that area a week ago. This is only about 80-100 miles away as the crow flies from the spill.

Texas is on the backside, the currents tend to go from West to East in this part of the gulf.

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
well, I might just be "seeing things" in that video, but it sure looks like he hit a few slicks there at the beginning around 0.11. :dunno:

kraqus

Site Supporter
well, I might just be "seeing things" in that video, but it sure looks like he hit a few slicks there at the beginning around 0.11. :dunno:

The area in the beginning of the video is a bit shallow. That is sand.
What you are seeing is the bottom being stirred by the passing of a Big Boat, usually a tug boat or Ferry.

Benny

kraqus

Site Supporter
I mean I could be wrong but I see the same "splotchy" areas when I ride the estuary in Oakland.....usually right behind a Tug Boat when the chase is on. BTW by shallow I meant like 40 feet. The propellers are so powerful, the stream reaches that far below. You can also see seaweed brought up from the bottom all over the path of one of them tug boats...

Benny

Some days are better than others but the tankers run 7 days a week all year round. It's just a matter of getting the group together to go. Sunday was awsome just enough to make me want to go again. Beats the small Galveston summer surf most days unless of course a tropical storm sends somthing in.

Video looks good Nick for our first go at the camera out there.

Yeh the dity spots are from the massive wake pulling the water away before the wave arrives. The water level in front of the wave drops nearly a foot as the wave push arrives.

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
The area in the beginning of the video is a bit shallow. That is sand.
What you are seeing is the bottom being stirred by the passing of a Big Boat, usually a tug boat or Ferry.

Benny

This is correct. I kept seeing spots of sand that was stirred up and I was wonderng why it was spotty. Until we stopped to rest and found out it wasnt that deep.
Nick, im glad you didnt get any video of me on that, that tanker I had to drive.

Props to Moonie for making it all the way on her SJ, it was a rough sombitch coming back across the bay to the ramp.

Last edited:
Top Bottom