This melt down just might have me stumped..

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
So this off season, I had my cylinders ported and I reassembled everything myself with new gaskets from jetmaniac. It passed a 10 psi leak down test by a mile. After 45 minutes it didn't drop at all, and that was with a season old(6 gallons of oil through it last year) rebuilt motor. I installed the carb with two new greased gaskets and made sure those nuts were plenty tight since I couldn't leak down test that.
My setup is an ada girdled head with 35 cc domes, b pipe, 44mm carb and all of the other necessary mods. I wound up starting with 150 main, 125 pilot with a 95 g spring and 1.5 n/s. I was spot on with the jetting and at 1.5 turns out on each it ripped from bottom to top, no hesitations or bogs. I probably could have leaned it out some,but I was satisfied.

Took it out for about an hour and a half with a couple very very short WOT passes(going 2\3 throttle for like 15 seconds, and full throttle for like 3) and it was perfectly fine. Only thing I noticed is that I made my coupler too long for my internal fill setup and if I had the nose up, a half of tank would suck a little bit of air after a trick. But on plane I could go for a while yet. After that good ride I torqued the girdle nuts to 32 ft pounds(they didn't loosen up at all, so it was pretty much just checking the torque). I left the head bolts as is with the stock torque specs and blue loctite.

So Friday I had it at the dell's Freeride and probably put close to a tank on it. A couple people rode it and can verify that it rips hard for a square. Did plenty of 3/4 runs at least 10 seconds long with short bursts of WOT too. Everything was great.

Saturday we took a little longer cruise around, and I would be varying it from 1/2 to 2/3 throttle for a few minutes with a few short WOT bursts every now and then. Otherwise I rode it as normal and at least 4 other people were riding my ski and it was perfectly fine. And before I knew it I noticed it running low on fuel again.

On the way back I was varying from 1/2 to 2/3-3/4 throttle with not many WOT bursts for a few minutes to get back to the shore a couple miles away. It was a little choppy and I didn't notice my fuel pickup sucking air at all. Then all of a sudden I went to give it more gas and it kinda hesitated and then died, then was a pain to start back up, then did the same thing.
It started up and was fine, and I rode it probably another mile or so and it still has a decent amount of power, but it was somewhat hard to tell due to the chop.

Right away I thought it was my fuel pickup not being long enough and maybe it was running low on fuel, but the pickup still went into the fuel a couple inches. Put my hand on the rear cylinder and I couldn't hold it for longer than 5 seconds without my hand hurting, and my front cylinder was nice and warm and I could put my hand on it all day. I'm also running dual cooling with two lines going into the exhaust mani so lack of cooling was ruled out.

Pulled the plugs, and one was extremely dark and the other one was very lightly colored. The light colored one is the rear cylinder.
0258bc5dac7ced7535edb07a15072879.jpg

Turns out Zack at PHP was walking right by and I showed him my plugs and he was like "you're running a single carb so there's no way your carb is what's causing you to be that lean. There's definitely an air leak going on".
Checked the compression, 185 on the front and 25 on the rear. Still had a whole day of the Freeride to ride and my ski was toast. Damn.

Pulled the head, and there was a decent amount of metal transfer but not really any deep scores. Only one mark that was semi deep. If I can clean that aluminum off I most likely can get away with just a hone, piston, and rings. Also, the oil on the rear cylinder dome was really concentrated and thick(probably because it wasn't getting fully ignited) , while the other some seemed normal to me.

I know that was long but I feel like the details always help. If anything what I'm about to type is what matters:
Since I was back at home, I decided to put the head back on, get it running, and see if I could spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid at the rear crank seals, base gasket, and carb gaskets to check for leaks. Nope, with the ski running nothing leaked enough for spraying fluid to make it Rev up.

Hooked up my leak down test setup, and it held 10 psi with zero change after 15 minutes. So a leak was completely ruled out.

Took the cylinder off, and my piston looks like so :
50166685b4590bbf3313deab6d71e4d8.jpg
eddd6b4f4b2007581b8ac9f13743169b.jpg
Completely stuck a ring Haha.

Anyways, the only thing I noticed was that the gasket surface on the front of the cases was perfectly clean and the gasket surface on the rear of the cases was oily.
161efd35f03b8b282e7723556468e6ff.jpg
(ignore the wierd look of the piston, it actually looks perfect in person. No deto, no nothing. I'm extremely cautious and run 1.5 gallons or race gas with 3.5 gallons of premium and 45:1 klotz.

Also, the base gasket looks like so:
3f1d01d19870e143d64f653f7a5ed0c4.jpg

Left side is the rear piston.

To me, it looks like the only possibility was that base gasket leaking. But what confuses the hell out of me is that it never leaked during tuning and it has ran great and no runaways, no nothing. And it's always passed a leak down test.
Honestly there's only one way I could be at fault, and that's if it was due to improper torqueing the girdle bolts. I went to retorque them after the first tank and they all pretty much stayed the same, so for two more tanks I didn't retorque them again. But when I went to take the cylinders off the girdle nuts were still super tight. I have a hard time believing they came loose and caused a leak..
But when I got it running again today, I reinstalled and retorque every head bolt and girdle nut.

I'm so confused. There were no tell tale signs at all. Is it possible for that base gasket to only leak when it's running? Or something else to leak only when running? The only difference this season was that last season I was running an OEM base gasket and this season I was using a gasket from jetmaniac(so I doubt the gasket is the issue.)

Everything in this post is pretty much every detail about the situation that I can think of. I'm lost right now. Any insight is appreciated!

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Nope. Why would I have though? Just curious. Because it ran perfectly last season and ran great for the hours before it blew up.

I noticed in the first post, that you "greased" the carb gaskets. I hope you had not greased the base gasket. If you look at an oem base gasket you'll note that it has a "printo-seal" . That is there so the gasket does not get "sucked", 'cause it surely will. Be advised to use a good gasket sealer such as Permatex "High Tack" (in a brush top can) on aftermarket base gaskets. I personally use Cometic copper base gaskets (reuseable after annealing) to forestall issues. Cannot tell if your gasket caused the problem, certainly suggest 93 octane that's reasonably fresh. Also: extended wot at insufficient octane could cause that seized piston.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Didn't use anything on the base gasket. And I run 3.5 gallons of 93 octane to 1.5 gallons of 110 octane race gas.

You are certainly good and then some on the gas. That should narrow it down to "base gasket"- although it does not look compromised, or excessive ignition advance.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Do you see how it's oily on the side that blew up but perfectly clean on the side that is fine? That's seriously the only odd thing I noticed when tearing it down.
Is it possible that even though I torqued the girdle bolts after the first tank, that they came lose(after another couple tanks) just a hair and that it was enough to randomly make it leak? Like is there a such thing as an intermittent leak?
So wierd...

That fact that there is oil on the gasket surface is certainly indicating that it leaked- consider using sealer next time. Also: I've seen catastrophic failures on 2 occasions of ADA studs loosening (I did not install them) causing total engine loss. So I get my studs made Riva style for a more positive clamping of cylinder (Riva was unable to make those properly and discontinued them).

might have been too lean with new porting
piston to wall-always ask machinist or person in charge of boring to provide this critical info
most common things that cause this are
1. airleaks
2. too lean-fuel supply issues
3. too much ignition timing
4. too high of compression ratio for octane of fuel used
5. not enough piston to wall clearance to accommodate engine mods
6. too much MSV in combustion chamber and building piston crown heat too high=overheating piston causing further expansion of the piston
7. prop pitch too high thus overloading engine and limiting rpms
8. improper port mapping

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
might have been too lean with new porting
piston to wall-always ask machinist or person in charge of boring to provide this critical info
most common things that cause this are
1. airleaks
2. too lean-fuel supply issues
3. too much ignition timing
4. too high of compression ratio for octane of fuel used
5. not enough piston to wall clearance to accommodate engine mods
6. too much MSV in combustion chamber and building piston crown heat too high=overheating piston causing further expansion of the piston
7. prop pitch too high thus overloading engine and limiting rpms
8. improper port mapping

Thanks for the response!
1.Airleak seems like the only possibility, but it passes a static leak down test. Maybe somehow it leaks when running. Idk.
2. Single carb, so if it was a fuel supply issue I'd notice the front cylinder being lean too. And it has ran properly since assembly. For reference: I know one person who has the same exact setup except with someone else's porting, and we were running the same jetting except I'm one size bigger on the pilot.
3. Stock static timing and stock modded cdi with stock lightened flywheel.
4. Running 35 cc domes with a race gas and premium gas combo. Overkill if anything.
5. Like I said before, PHP sent it to where they send there machine work, and I ran it before for a whole season with same engine mods except mild porting.
6. Front piston was perfect upon tear down, and before the meltdown the ski had even heat in the front and back cylinders.
7. Running the typical 9/15 hooker
8. Pretty sure my builder knows what he's doing. My ski pretty much speaks for itself when it's running right..

I double checked everything on reassembly and am meticulous about everything.. I never hold WOT for more than a couple seconds. Ask anyone that rides with me, I'm probably the most cautious guy when it comes to making sure I don't blow up a motor. I ride it hard, but never at 3/4 to full throttle for a long time, and barely any time at WOT.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
The loctite could be throwing off your torque specs. I actually use a tiny bit of grease instead for my head bolts to act as antiseize.
Did it like that for my stock head and last season for my girdled head. Hadn't given me an issue. I used antisieze on my girdle nuts tho. Those are most important IMO.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Stator in the same place? Also if you are using an msd enhancer groupk has an article about them causeing seizes running 1/2-2/3 throttle.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Stator in the same place? Also if you are using an msd enhancer groupk has an article about them causeing seizes running 1/2-2/3 throttle.
Yeah man stator in the same place. And no enhancer either..

Top Bottom