Blaster Too much water in take when surf riding my blaster.what to do next?

Hay folks,
Im starting to surf ride my waveblaster,myself and a few friends have got the blaster bug in southern ireland!
We all seem to have trouble in dirty white wh surf especially,too much water onto our leads and into the carbs is or problem,im sure theres being plenty of posts,and plenty of fixes,im so comfused over this i dunno where to start.
From my reading i thinkimg MSD leads plug,plug caps,retainers and the big expensive enhancer!i am also without a bilge pump,what you guys recommend,yamaha fitment or universal??and which switch to go for??
Were running std air box covers,which we found worked better than aftermarket filters,duck bill drains which do drain the water once injested into the hull,(just not quick enough)and discovered sponges lined in the hull soak up the water!!
Some advice in the next directions we should take would greatly be appreciated!!!!

Put 2 universal 500 gpm or more in. One under the seat and one in the engine bay. The one in the back put on a on-off switch to run all the time( when riding) one in the engine bay on a float switch for emergecies and while stopped. Also a scupper is a good idea to put in the back.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I kept one drain plug out all the time to help drain out water. Also, you have to use stock flame arrestors on blasters more than any other ski. The shape of the hull will sling water right at the open element flame arrestors.

all good ideas above , #1 make sure your hood seals 100 % use an OEM hood seal and install it carefully , You must have plastic ''coupler cover''' in place , use stock flame arrrestors like Demon said , make sure your seat gasget seals or when its on its side more water comes in ! only use spark plug boots in excellent condition , I like to use di-electric grease on the spark plug boots and spark plugs , one or two duckbills , bilge pump at least one . also if you stay on top of the blaster it wont take on as much water !!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys,
hood seals etc was gonna be my next question,any advice on where and who to purchase these seals from?i also intend on replacing cdi box seal in processs.
And thank you (blaster800)!!but as we say in good old ireland if you never fall off your never going hard enough!!!!!!!BRAAAaaappp brap!!!!

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
all good ideas above , #1 make sure your hood seals 100 % use an OEM hood seal and install it carefully , You must have plastic ''coupler cover''' in place , use stock flame arrrestors like Demon said , make sure your seat gasget seals or when its on its side more water comes in ! only use spark plug boots in excellent condition , I like to use di-electric grease on the spark plug boots and spark plugs , one or two duckbills , bilge pump at least one . also if you stay on top of the blaster it wont take on as much water !!!!!!!
yep, coupler cover is needed for sure.

I have a theory that in this hull with a little water in the hull the coupler will sling water at the side of the hull which then re-directs the water directly at the flame arrestor because of the angle of the hull at the footwell.

I had more water ingestion problems with my blaster than any other hull when I used an open fame arrestor. Eventually I built a tupperware shield to protect the element. I would have been better off switching to a stock arrestor.

Also, I don't think there is any way to keep water out of the hull in the surf, all you can do is try to get it out as fast as you can.

this weather stripping works extremely well, the only problem is its 5" short. if applied correctly, the seal wraps all the way around the lip of the hood. I think it seals better than the stock one. i just used standard weatherstiping right behind the hinge. and its only $20. i don't know if you can get it in Ireland. its 3M rubber weatherstripping # 08651.

Firstly block off any extra air vents, the squarenose superjet for example has about 4 times the openings required. Secondly make sure the vent tubes go all the way to the bottom of the hull so that when the ski is upside down the end of the hose is above the waterline.

i used to run my rule 500 the whole time in the surf untill i bought a versiplug. now i dont have to worry about the bilge craping out and it lets water out quick.

Put 2 universal 500 gpm or more in. One under the seat and one in the engine bay. The one in the back put on a on-off switch to run all the time( when riding) one in the engine bay on a float switch for emergecies and while stopped. Also a scupper is a good idea to put in the back.
thank you for this idea,im currently ordering 2 rule 500 pumps,2 switches(One 3 way,1 on/ off)
when you mention putting one under the seat and one under the engine bay,where exactly do you mean?its a wb1 with the battery under the seat.

Firstly block off any extra air vents, the squarenose superjet for example has about 4 times the openings required. Secondly make sure the vent tubes go all the way to the bottom of the hull so that when the ski is upside down the end of the hose is above the waterline.
ive just bought frog skin vent covers,heard of these before and if so do they work well??

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
If you unscrew the battery box and take it out you will see there is a large cavity down there. U can put the bilge in there and run the wiring where the steering cable comes into the hull. I think alot of people use 5200 to glue it down or some sort of water epoxy. The one in by the hull you can buy a bracket that goes on right by the coupler and holds the bilge in place.

If you unscrew the battery box and take it out you will see there is a large cavity down there. U can put the bilge in there and run the wiring where the steering cable comes into the hull. I think alot of people use 5200 to glue it down or some sort of water epoxy. The one in by the hull you can buy a bracket that goes on right by the coupler and holds the bilge in place.
cool now im starting to understand,ill get searching for that coupler bracket so,thanks you Dmac

you dont need a bracket. skuff up both sides and epoxy it down right next to the driveshaft. and with the frogskin let us no how it works or if you have to tune your carbs.

Have 2 bilges,1 versiplug,msd enhancer caps retainers,e box seals and some flash bits on order,will take some time to arrive in Ireland from the states but as soon as they do I'll be fitting them and letting you guys know how things work out,i will also upload some pics,thank you all for your genuine interest and support!!

what about aftermarket flame arrester and outerwears cover?? i use them on my quads and dirt bikes the work great but thats alot less water. just woundering if any one has tried them??

Parts have arrived!!!ill be fitting them the weekend,where would you guys recommend fitting the front bilge,on the exhaust or carb side of the hull????

Fixed!!!

Hello people,just a quick response to my blaster problems,had her out for her first real test during the week on some real Irish dirty stormy weather and I'm very pleased to say she ran like a dream!!all of the above advice I went with down to new seals on e box etc,I updated my caps and went for msd enhancer while I had the e box out,2 rule 500 bilges,versiplugs and the new frogskin around all intakes seemed to work ,(I did not do any adjustments on my carb yet for this)I am pleased to say I've finally gotten to the end of my water intake issues!until something else brakes or acts up!!!!!the joys of blasters and jet skis!!!! Thank you for all you sound advice

Top Bottom