Tow loops/rope

Waternut

Customizing addict
Only having a front tow loop means one thing your willing to take help but not give back or help someone else because you care more about put a whole in your ski then helping.

Although I agree, I think you missed the purpose of this thread. Seems to me like Mcdog was asking "HOW to hook up a rear tow loop" and not "do I really need one". Same for me, I would like to have one but since I've only ridden on a lake, the necessity isn't as great and now I'm trying to figure out how I put one on since I cut the back of the tray to accomodate trim.

Both of us have and would lend someone a foot before we left someone sinking.

Stricky

**SoFlo Surf Sluts**
wahoo... i just cruise by when someone is not prepared and ask them what THEIR plan is for getting....let them flounder for a little while, then tow them in with MY rope and tell them that is their free lesson....don't be unprepared again.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Having tow loops is one thing but you must also have a rope.

When yours ski dies, hook up your tow rope to the front, hold up the other end of the rope in the air.
When the other ski pulls up hook up the rope, grab your ski and ride away.
That way you are not endangering the guy who is there to help you out.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I know this might sound harsh but when you ride in the surf tow loops front and back and a tow rope are a must have items. These items are not for convenience they are to save your ass or someone elses from getting hurt and you ski from getting pummeled in bigger surf when you get stuck in the break. If you don't have them get them. Of course with this group of people if you need help one of us is going to come to help, tow loops or not. But you know what, if you only have a front to loop and don't have a back one my opinion is swim your own dam ski in and I hope you dont get hurt. Only having a front tow loop means one thing your willing to take help but not give back or help someone else because you care more about put a whole in your ski then helping.

For those that have not rode in bigger or rougher surf this is not a joke.

No problem. I don't know surf riding etiquitte and that's why I asked. You rarely need to tow anyone with your ski in the lake. I honestly didn't even think about needing it to tow someone else. I plan to put a loop on my pump where it bolts to the hull. (John, I think that's the best answer for you, too.) I have no problem getting a tow rope but I could use some advice on where to keep it.

Any advice on that?

Last edited:

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Although I agree, I think you missed the purpose of this thread. Seems to me like Mcdog was asking "HOW to hook up a rear tow loop" and not "do I really need one". Same for me, I would like to have one but since I've only ridden on a lake, the necessity isn't as great and now I'm trying to figure out how I put one on since I cut the back of the tray to accomodate trim.

Both of us have and would lend someone a foot before we left someone sinking.

LOL! We have done the "foot tow" more than once haven't we.

Has anyone thought about maybe glueing some velcro loops to the dash and velcro your tow rope there? To keep it off of you and still have very quick access? I may actually try that!

Waternut

Customizing addict
LOL! We have done the "foot tow" more than once haven't we.

Oh man everyone has towed my ski... I've even towed my ski with my new SJ LOL.

I'll see if I can rig up a rope around my pump bolts and still keep it out of the way of the nozzle. If not, I may drill some holes in the rails and attach the rope with two knots.

PS - One more reason I love paddling vests, they have pockets to put things in like keys or a tow rope.

I have a lot of padding there and I dont even think the long john silver bow eye would be long enough.

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/28693&page=4 post #72

back to the original question....

padding will compress with little effort.

squeeze the 'stern eye' area with a fender washer on a c-clamp to get the needed indentation in the turf, prior to installing the fitting. this keeps the thick and padded turf from coming up and around the flange of the 'stern eye', once its installed.

Last edited:
but just remember, when someone needs to get towed in, and you just pass them by with no means of helping, karma may kick in later on in the ride when you break down.

..... not that id not tow someone because of their lack of rear tow-loopage.

ive even towed in surf sluts. i leave nobody just floating there and stranded!

Ya I agree, I ride with loops and a quick release rope on my waist everytime I ride surf. My post was directed more for jfw432, whos ski does not have a place to attach a rear loop to. Looking at his setup, I wouldnt suggest him using rear loops, which is not the biggest deal when there enough poeple around that he could wave someone over in seconds.

But bottom line, yes everyone should have front and rear loops.

regarding bushing installation, jfw took WAY too much material out of the tray, IMO.

installing a stern eye bushing on that could hinder nozzle movement. itd be a bad idea.

a less agressive (wider, yet shallower) trim curve would allow plenty of room for a bushing.

bottom line is, if you cant immediately help out, wave someone over that can. there will (hopefully) be someone around that has the knowledge and equipment to tow someone back.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Since it's my first time in the surf, if I try to tow someone there will probably end up being two people that need a tow. But of course I will still try.

there is so much wisdom and so much idiocy in this post its not even funny....

Tow loops and ropes are not optional, they are mandatory safety equipment

i have ride surf at least once a week all summer,and we havent needed to tow too many people(knock on wood).

do that many people need a tow during the freeride?

i normally dont, but i will have tow loops(front and back)
and always carry a rope.

just wondering, thanks

you never know..thats the point!

wahoo... i just cruise by when someone is not prepared and ask them what THEIR plan is for getting....let them flounder for a little while, then tow them in with MY rope and tell them that is their free lesson....don't be unprepared again.

lol..I can SO see you doing this

but Im sticking with my original plan....no loops, you get the finger and a face full of jet blast :)

Thanks man. That's what I needed to know. How long does it need to be?

depends on how fat you are!

if your tray is cut out in the back for a trim system, just drill a new hole. :smile:

:fing02:

Last edited:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
that was the purpose of my post... I did not want to downplay the importance or rear loops and tow ropes, but If you are a surf newb, what good is it going to do when you get all tangled and trashed by the surf?

the best way to be prepared for surf is to make sure you have a reliable ski... sure stuff can happen beyond your control, but if you don't have a reliable ski you have no business out there when it gets big and/or sloppy.

put tow loops on your ski or don't put it in the water!!!

I WILL BE CHECKING PEOPLES BOATS...

you deserve to sink if you won't even take the steps to help yourself... why should others put themselves in danger when you won't do the most simple thing to make the process safe????

don't show up with out one on the front and one on the back PERID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom