Transferring Title or HIN to different Hull (Cali)

I Have a 92 superjet hull I was fixing up with a clean title, and the hull is regs in my name. Legit and ready to go.

I found a hull locally in better condition, but I am unsure if its title-ness or DMV status.

Can I put my good HIN and title to the new hull?

Thanks

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Seriously? The HIN number on a boat is identical to a VIN number on any vehicle. Tampering with either is a criminal offense. The reasons should be obvious.

Is it done on a regular basis anyways? You bet your azz it is. :)

Seriously? The HIN number on a boat is identical to a VIN number on any vehicle. Tampering with either is a criminal offense. The reasons should be obvious.

Is it done on a regular basis anyways? You bet your azz it is. :)

Well there is the reason for my confusion.
I had ( I thought) seen it done on countless jet ski rebuilds here and on other forums.
Thanks for the replys

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
It happens all the time but is illegal to swap bind and titles like that. Your supposed to bring new jet ski reg up to date. Now if that new hull didn't have any information or tags on it and the previous owner can't help you with a paper trail then you can go to dmv and file for "new boat" regestration. Any questions PM me. I've been in and out of the CA dmv so I have asked many questions so have a good amount of answers (saying the people working there knew/cared what I was talking about and gave proper info)

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Any person who willfully violates subsection (c) or (d) of this Code section with intent to misrepresent the identity of a vessel so as to convert or defraud shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500.00 nor more than $5,000.00, by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
I stay away from unclean title boats.
the hassle, loss of the boat to impound
and penalties just aren't worth it

Jail time??? Really? What are you gonna do with old hull? If you are gonna destroy it and have no intention of causing harm or wrongdoing then who cares. Hurts resale? Of course it does but its not a big deal at least in Ca. I have never even spoken to a ranger or cop while riding and certainly not one who would care about a HIN. Of course there is a correct and legal way but lets not be too dramatic about a jetski hull!!

Top Bottom