Other Want to get into stand ups...where to start?

Rode one for the first time a couple weeks ago (bored out and modded Yamie Superjet) and I'm pretty hooked to say the least. I just picked up a couple Sea Doo's, 2000 GTS and GS, but not really a fan of sitting down doing laps around a lake...I got a hell of a deal on them but I think I want to sell one to pick up a stand up.

So I guess my first question is Kawasaki or Yamaha? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, maybe 1500 max for something that's going to be cheap and reliable. I can't find a lot of Yamaha's around but I've found a :):):):) load of Kawasaki's on craigslist so I'm leaning towards one of those. JS or SX platform? Thoughts or advice guys? Thanks in advance!

Jet Ninja

701 reasons I'd rather be at the lake!
before i ramble on about my opinion i will give a quick answer. yahama is better anyways but especially for a budget. u could get an old kawi cheaper but u might be disappointed in the power and u can get a sj easy for 1500 and it will be well worth it now with that being said.....................i am also new and i have ridden a kawi 650 sx and a yamaha superjet both are close to stock... kawi all stock and yami only has a pipe i think but it was amazing how much faster the yamaha was. and that is coming from a die hard kawi lover. i just sold my kawi to get a superjet because of the difference being so huge. but with that being said i have been told kawasaki/racing they handle better and yahama/freestyle or freeride they have better power to weight ratio. im sure it would be more fair to compair the yamaha to a newer kawi but 90% of standup riders say yamaha is the way to go and i agree.....just wait and see i bet 90% of everyone that posts on this thread will tell u to go superjet but with a lil more cash the kawi could be just as good i guess... SJ's rock!

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
To add to what others have said.

Kawasaki boats (with the exception of the SXR) will always be cheaper to buy used, but that comes at a price. Finding parts will drain your bank account, let alone finding a good setup that works for what you want power and handling wise.

As for superjets, even if you buy a 650 superjet, 90% of the parts are all the same between blaster/fx1/all years superjet. Not only that, parts are super abundant for these skis, new or used.

I'd recommend finding a 701 SN or any year round nose. However, 650 SNs are cheap and you can always throw in a 701 with no issues.

stay away from the older sx's and js skis. you'll pay less for them out the gate like it's a good deal, then they'll start eating away at ur wallet. either braking or trying to make them fast as other stock skis. with ur specefic proce range i would say a square nose superjet. 650 or 701. preferably 701. just my 2cents.

Wow awesome info, thanks guys! I take it that SN stands for square nose? What year does this cover, up to 96? I believe the superjet I rode was newer (solid yamaha blue) so I'm guessing it was a round nose. Not sure, but anyway I rode that Yamaha and was thoroughly impressed. My buddies brother who owned it said Yamaha was the way to go, and I'm definitely finding that to be the case. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a superjet then! Anyone interested in a GS or GTS Doo?? haha

square nose is up to 95, 96 or newer are round nose.

if you rode a blue one, that is a round nose - the 1996 RN was white, 97-03 blue and then 04 onward black

I have 2 round noses (98 and 99), I wouldn't go to anything else (well possibly a rickter if my wife ever lets me)

I would stay away from something that has a CRAZY modified engine, but a pipe, head, intake grate, ride plate, foot holds, steering, pole etc are good to get

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Don't spend extra money on a RN over a SN for performance reasons - the only significant difference in the hull designs is cosmetic, there is a slight difference in the pole and steering that is not significant enough to be a factor IMO. The 701 over 650 is significant, and having it set up and running right the way you want it is priceless. For $1500 I think you should be looking for a SN Superjet with a 701 motor and as many mods as you can get (AM pipe, footholds/straps, etc)

What's this about the 750s not being fast???!!!. As we all know a sxr is faster then a sj(stock). The two 750's that my friends own walk on the sxr's. All both 750's are bone stock and so is the sxr's. I really don't get the superjet thing, I bought a 2000 sj with freestyle set up, I rode the thing twice and sold it. The only plus is the amount of aftermarket parts. To each there own but I got sucked into the sj hype and lost money on it. I would tell you to get a Sxi or sxi pro or save a little more and get a older sxr. Imo

What's this about the 750s not being fast???!!!. As we all know a sxr is faster then a sj(stock). The two 750's that my friends own walk on the sxr's. All both 750's are bone stock and so is the sxr's. I really don't get the superjet thing, I bought a 2000 sj with freestyle set up, I rode the thing twice and sold it. The only plus is the amount of aftermarket parts. To each there own but I got sucked into the sj hype and lost money on it. I would tell you to get a Sxi or sxi pro or save a little more and get a older sxr. Imo

I don't remember anyone even mentioning a 750, let alone them not being fast...

Granted I have never ridden anything but an SJ, but with what I've heard (not just on this board) the newer Kawasaki's (650SX's and up) are fast but heavy and blocky up front and not as nimble as an SJ. The afterrmarket and part compatibility between models alone makes me lean towards an SJ, but I also own a SXViper and have experience with their two strokes and can attest to their engine quality anyway (suspension sucks ass) and so I think that is probably the route I will go.

Now if I can get a smoking deal on a SXi or SXR, i would definitely think about it. But those models came out fairly late in the 90's, correct? Probably out of my intended price range...

Last edited:
My bad it was sx not sxi, and the Sxi is about the same wright comparison, the Sxi pro came out late I THINK the Sxi came out in 94. Again the sxr is bulky but the power of the motor over comes that and if you plain on riding the ski qnd not doing tricks then the sj is useless. I think a older sj costs more then a 04 sxr and the Sxi goes for around 1000

Last edited:
My bad it was sx not sxi, and the Sxi is about the same wright comparison, the Sxi pro came out late I THINK the Sxi came out in 94. Again the sxr is bulky but the power of the motor over comes that and if you plain on riding the ski qnd not doing tricks then the sj is useless. I think a older sj costs more then a 04 sxr and the Sxi goes for around 1000

The SXIs came out in '95

the sxi was made from 95 to 2002. and i'm pretty sure the sxi pro came into play in 98. sxr in 03. if you could find an sxr for the price of a sn sj you better jump on that all day...but i dont see it happening in the market today.

Top Bottom