Water freezing? Damage?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Intermission from the fighting threads:

Quick question. I have 5 skis and one is not running right now. I ran the other 4 today and put antifreeze through them. I did not have a functiong CDI in one of my skis so I could not run the motor/antifreeze through it. I blew air through the lines and tilted the ski as nose high up as I could get it. Tonight its got colder then the weather channel predicted....its like 33-34degrees here. How @$^&ed am I? Should I have just dumped antifreeze into the flush line without the ski running?

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Really! you dont run antifreeze through the cooling system? I have always done it because I thought it was just something you just had to do....lol Always worried about water in the FP headpipe water jackets, expanding/cracking something.
Well based on your skis survival I guess I will be ok till next weekend when I can flush the last one with antifreeze. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
Ive NEVER used antifreeze in a ski.

Ive tried to blow the water out, but after taking a few apart for the winter, I realized thats dam nearly a futile attempt.

ive never had any freeze damage, granted, NW Arkansas, doesnt often get below 10 F

DaUpJetSkier

I like square
I usually pour a lil antifreeze into some lines and maybe splash some in the bottom of the hull, oh and blow the lines out before but its usually just a mist that comes out, i start the ski and rev real hard before all that takes place, right before I fog, wow that was all backwards. Anyways never had a problem and my ski has sat covered and inside a garage or warehouse thats gotten -20's for some time.

A lot of ppl hear horror stories of outboards cracking, but maybe they hold more water in worse spots, I dunno. Not much can happen to a waterbox, like you said maybe if a lot of was in FB elbow it could crack.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Thanks guys. Its not THAT cold out, just hovering around the freezing mark. I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok without any antifreeze if it dipped below freezing for a few days. I'm not winterizing my x2s yet (still good riding time left) but I want to make sure I they are safe from freezing. I normally also splash some antifreeze around the bottom of the engine compartment if there is any water I cant shop vac out. Reason I am so paranoid is I had an x2 get alot of water into the rear foam. Over last winter it cracked the hull BAD when it froze!

i usually pour non toxic antifreeze through the flush kit till it runs out and it is good to go.

if the ski is running i dump the antifreeze in the funnel and let the motor suck it through

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
my garage never gets below freezing.
I got out every couple of weeks and brap them with a little stabalized premix and fogging oil.
then they are ready to go at a moments notice when the weather breaks!!:Banane09::beerchug:

guiness92

▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
hmm i didnt winterize my ski yet lol. I usually just run antifreeze through the flush kit until it comes out the back for a minute or so. Then I pull the plugs and fog the cyl's, crank it once or twice, put plugs back in, stabilizer in fuel, battery out, and im done. Havent had a problem yet.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
hmm i didnt winterize my ski yet lol. I usually just run antifreeze through the flush kit until it comes out the back for a minute or so. Then I pull the plugs and fog the cyl's, crank it once or twice, put plugs back in, stabilizer in fuel, battery out, and im done. Havent had a problem yet.

Dont fully winterize! Lets get a ride in this weekend!! LOL You have a good wetsuit?

guiness92

▓▓▒▒▒▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓
i got a wetsuit but its pretty thin lol. I was actually thinking of hittin berkely island before i winterized but that water is damn cold. it is warming up a bit though. hmmmm now you got me thinking. I might be down for a ride.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
Dude, I'll definetly go to berkeley on sunday! I think I have work saturday though. If you wanna hit some surf in Brick beach or seaside, the water should be slightly warmer. Let me know if you can make it, my brother and I are definetly going riding somewhere Sunday. I think I have an extra 3/2 large size wetsuit if you need one. It sucks for the first 5-10mins then the suit warms up.

Top Bottom