Custom/Hybrid WCF Surf/ Rec hull, Wide bond rail hull project

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Looking good, lots of work done!

Your pole/steering setup looks long to me especially on a shortened hull.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
the pole is almost too short for me. I have short arms like a T-rex. At -5" and both feet in the holds, I am fully stretched out.

I did finish up the rest of the dash today, I may have gone over kill with the hood straps, but better safe then sorry. Finished making my limiting rope and there isn't much left

dc7b4b9b.jpg

510123f0.jpg

693205f6.jpg

e66679e0.jpg

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I got my wide rails bolted on, once I finish tweaking them, I will mount them better with some epoxy, but the one test ride I had on them was really good.

a996e989.jpg

cc7acd3b.jpg

57f678f8.jpg

I also got my graphics on finally, I think they came out alright. I hope once I get the turf on the rails it will look much better

2b10310d.jpg

46bd15f6.jpg

d30e061f.jpg

Graphics look good. Hopefully ill get a chance to ride with you and steleo this weekend. He hit me up last weekend to ride lake Washington but I had exams this week. Cant wait to see it in action. Get those rails bonded on.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
Ski looks awesome!! PM me your address and Ill send you those stickers!

DONE!

Graphics look good. Hopefully ill get a chance to ride with you and steleo this weekend. He hit me up last weekend to ride lake Washington but I had exams this week. Cant wait to see it in action. Get those rails bonded on.

Thanks, I should hopefully be able to go out again this Sunday. I thought I would have to glue them on, but with the 9 bolts on each side, they held with no problem, and they are thick enough that I can pick up the ski with them. but once I am happy, i will at lest 5200 them and get some better SS bolts.

Great build!

I'm curious about the bond line. Did you ditch the aluminum idea? Is that the bond line you made before?

what would you like to see about the bond line? I can zip out and take pics or let you know what up. But I kinda ditched the aluminum ones. I was itching to ride, and they guy who was taking it was taking forever, so I had and idea and made a mold for the glass ones, so I can make as many as I want once I am happy with the end result.

I am just curious how the width and size of the bond rail will compare to a narrower one. Mine are 2" on the top with a 40* on them, and on the bottom it is 3.85" so they are pretty wide compared to others who have done the wide bond rail. they normally have a 3.25" bottom, so mine are wider

whooiedog

AKA El Hefe
deff!! Let me know.....I just got mine back together and I have a few more things to do on padgetts x2. Within the next week or so, we will be tearin up the ski zone!

whooiedog

AKA El Hefe
nice.....keep me posted. I've been outta the water too much here lately doing mods and am ready for some ride time. The work you have been doing on that ski looks nice bro. Cant wait to see it in action!

Speleopower

got a Superjet
The ski is lookin awesome! Wish we had done more body work before I painted it. I'm itching to get painting on your X2. I still can't believe both you and my girl picked the same exact color for your skis.... LOL
The color looks sweet on the water. I was scared it would be way to reflective and hard on the eyes while riding but it looks awesome.
Plus it's got plenty of power.
-Scott

Attachments

• IMG01293-20120331-1130.jpg
    IMG01293-20120331-1130.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 51

swapmeet

Brotastic
what would you like to see about the bond line? I can zip out and take pics or let you know what up. But I kinda ditched the aluminum ones. I was itching to ride, and they guy who was taking it was taking forever, so I had and idea and made a mold for the glass ones, so I can make as many as I want once I am happy with the end result.

I am just curious how the width and size of the bond rail will compare to a narrower one. Mine are 2" on the top with a 40* on them, and on the bottom it is 3.85" so they are pretty wide compared to others who have done the wide bond rail. they normally have a 3.25" bottom, so mine are wider

I've been debating about doing this to a project hull I have. I considered the Aluminm because its easy to remove so I could test different sizes etc.
My first question was how you made the bond line you had in the pic, which you answered.

I'm intrested in a ride report with the wide bond rail. I ride 99% flatwater, and in my mind, having a wider rail would make the ski ride lighter which is never a bad thing.

Keep it up.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I will defiantly post up some more. I might even unbolt them and ride to see how big of a difference it makes. On flat water it was much more stable than stock, I can idle and let go of the pole and balance with no issues rather than shifting my weight all the time, and it's hard to tell if I am turning harder with the -2 hull, but I can tell in corners it bites hard when you want to with the wider rails and feels much lighter and more stable. The added side effect was less water spray from the ski since the rails are much wider in the front, I would not have gotten that if I used aluminum since it would have just been strait. I'm going to eventually make a few more sets and let others try them out and give feedback.

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
rode again today and it seems everything is working just fine,I do have a mystery water leak into the hull that I haven't found yet, but other than that its riding and handling great since I replaced the steering bearings and rideplate out.

Today slepeopower and littleracer rode with me too and they both liked the wider rails from what they told me unless they didnt want to hurt my feelings

Speleopower

got a Superjet
The mystery leak is odd. Gotta figure that one out before a long run. In your stock siphon bilge line is there a right angle plastic coupler with a small hole in it and is the hose up above the water line and is the coupler at the hightest point of the line?
I removed the right angle coupler at one time and had water back siphon into the ski. The little hole breaks the siphon.
-Scott

Top Bottom