Surfriding Westons Puzzle boat, surf build

progress DSCN8101.jpgDSCN8102.jpg
the black in the engine bay is epoxy sealer, i am very impressed with the adhesion. its been two years since i sprayed it and it showes no signes of pealing. feather/sands back very nice showing very good adhesion.

Last edited:
those are rhass products urathane mounts,
pm rhass or madscientest here on the board.

i previousely filled the bond line and glassed from there up to the lip with 1708 and used chop mat to reinforce the lip area.
this time around
I tied the bulk head to the sides and layed one layer all the way around the lip area and put a piece where the latch body goes (biaxle glass), i think its 1708. my question is will one piece of 1708 biaxle from the lip to the motor mounts be enough after grinding down the "ribs"

or any input/advise is welcome i dont want to do this again.
thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN8817.jpg
    DSCN8817.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN8820.jpg
    DSCN8820.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN8815.jpg
    DSCN8815.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN8816.jpg
    DSCN8816.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN8821.jpg
    DSCN8821.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN8819.jpg
    DSCN8819.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
is that going to be enough?

Attachments

• DSCN8911.jpg
    DSCN8911.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN8909.jpg
    DSCN8909.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN8910.jpg
    DSCN8910.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
thanks Chris.
there is no reinforcement in the nose.
hood seal area (sides/back. nothing up front of lip area) = one layer of chop mat, one 3" strip of 1708 biaxle covered by top to bottom one piece 1708 biaxle.
in the rear corners there are 3 layers of biaxle from the hood seal area to the top of the bulk head.
one 5" strip tyeing the bulkhead to the sides that is covered by the full size 1708

sounds like I'm good on the sides and hood lip?
but need to beef up the front and back of the hood lip/latch area?
i don't want to over build and then run into issues that go along with the material being to thick.
i assume the nose reinforcement is a preventive maintenance for when/if i stuff the nose?

Last edited:
ive got the pole mount area reinforced from the first go around with a large 3/16 alum plate, its held up well and i run a limiting rope so i think im good there?
i will throw some material in the nose just to say i did.
thanks again.

shougrider

RIP 7/28/2014
I hope your footholds are in good. I just stripped my old boat and found the tray was hammered. My heels punched holes in the tray bottom. Apparently my foothold install was not sufficient enough to support the abuse the tray gets. My currant boat is not reinforced yet and I rode it that way last summer with no damage.

most of the glass work is done. i just need to clean it up a little and prep it for paint.

Attachments

• DSCN9684.jpg
    DSCN9684.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN9683.jpg
    DSCN9683.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN9677.jpg
    DSCN9677.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN9685.jpg
    DSCN9685.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
looks good weston. You coming to pismo next month?
Yup, I doubt I will have time to ride the surf before then so it will be my second time in the salty stuff. Hopefully it goes better.

I run a limiting rope so I shouldn't need to make the pole area super thick right?
It's allready got some reinforcement and a large 3/16" aluminum plate.

Top Bottom