Surfriding Westons Puzzle boat, surf build

Done, i put one layer of 1708 biaxle around the base mount area then tied it in to the sides with some light weave. i also layed 4 layers of the light weave on the front of the hood lip area.
i ran out of glass and had to run to the local auto parts store for some cheepo weave so its not the pretty est but i think i got the biaxle where it needs to be

and that is on top of the chop mat i already put on there two years ago. so i think I'm good to go. i cleaned it up a little bit and i will seal it all tmro with some epoxy sealer. should be on the water in a few days.
idk if I'm going to have the destroyers on for pismo. i was thinning about adding some padding under the turf and throwing some straps in the tray. either way i will be adding straps. do the glue in inserts stay glued in?

Attachments

• DSCN9690.jpg
    DSCN9690.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
do the glue in inserts stay glued in?

Depends on what you use.Jetmaniac got me to use west marine's 2 part epoxy (metal to glass).The stuff holds up well.l had to move an insert after it had been glued down for 6 months and l took glass with it when it finally came up.

thank for that info.
one wet coat of PPG epoxy.
i figured i try panel bond to glue the hood back together i will lay one layer of glass over it just to say i did. should hold up well...time will tell

Attachments

• DSCN9730.jpg
    DSCN9730.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN9729.jpg
    DSCN9729.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN9728.jpg
    DSCN9728.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN9731.jpg
    DSCN9731.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN9727.jpg
    DSCN9727.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 33

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Destroyers only take 2 hrs max, really easy install, align-drill-glue-bolt. I did however install extra bigger washers than come with the kit to help spread the load to more glass.

Thanks for that i have herd from others as well they are not diffacult to install,
I'm working on a "deal" for the destroyers and some other parts.

Destroyers only take 2 hrs max, really easy install, align-drill-glue-bolt. I did however install extra bigger washers than come with the kit to help spread the load to more glass.
i guess the real question is, do the tubbies make that much of a differance?

sweet...will they eliminate that nose in deal when ridding a wave face. i allmost got rolled last time when i was ridding straight down the wave maybe i need to ride it at more of an angle?

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
sweet...will they eliminate that nose in deal when ridding a wave face. i allmost got rolled last time when i was ridding straight down the wave maybe i need to ride it at more of an angle?
Absolutely will, nite and day over standard tubbies.

Last edited:
Tubbies will make it a great deal better, but you still need to watch out.
yah...i figure its bound to happen sooner or later, but I'm all for preventing it if a can... i guess i could prevent it from happening but i don't want to be to cautious, whats the fun in that. gotta step out of the comfort zone to grow right.
Absolutely will, nite and day.
thats good to hear.
Thanks again guys.

Some new handling goodies for the "puzzler". I'm going to make an exterior nose reinforcement for the bond rail and a super small/light "chin pad" ill post pics as i go.
big thank to Blowsion & Cold Fusion!!!
the destroyers look to be indestructible and quality product from the tubbies to the hardware. the steering is defiantly a work of art much better than my setup on my rok. and the price is right!
props to both companies for making some killer surf gear :headbang:

Attachments

• DSCN7582.jpg
    DSCN7582.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 36
Painted the destroyers & Started on the chin pad, It should turn out really light. I used carboard and body filler to get the shape i wanted then glassed over it, i'm sure the "plug' will get destroyed when i pull it but im ok with that, it didn't take to long to make.
my main goal was to make a pad that fit my setup the way i wanted and to have it light as possible.

Attachments

• DSCN7805.jpg
    DSCN7805.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN7800.jpg
    DSCN7800.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN7806.jpg
    DSCN7806.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN7799.jpg
    DSCN7799.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN7802.jpg
    DSCN7802.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7801.jpg
    DSCN7801.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7804.jpg
    DSCN7804.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN7803.jpg
    DSCN7803.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
did some trimming and panel bonded the mounts in the chin pad, ill glass them in just for added security. all in all the pad has taken me less than 5 hours to make from scrap. I'm stoked its super light and I'm pretty sure it will hold up.

Oh, on a side note turtle wax works well as a release agent.

Attachments

• DSCN7814.jpg
    DSCN7814.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7817.jpg
    DSCN7817.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN7816.jpg
    DSCN7816.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN7819.jpg
    DSCN7819.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN7818.jpg
    DSCN7818.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN7820.jpg
    DSCN7820.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN7815.jpg
    DSCN7815.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
painted and installed the destroyers.
these things are awsome, the install is very simple and they line up/fit great.
Thanks Blowsion!!!

Attachments

• DSCN7866.jpg
    DSCN7866.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 40
still waiting on a Bendix and seals to get it back on the water. so I figured id get the chin pad done.
rather than make both of the under sides match I decided to cut the right side down more to clear the throttle cable. can't really notice unless your looking under the pole.
the holes on the underside are to allow an allen wrench and the mounting bolt in. i really wanted the pad to wrap around the pole and this is the only way i could think of doing things and still keep the stock mounting locations.

Attachments

• DSCN8051.jpg
    DSCN8051.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCN8047.jpg
    DSCN8047.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN8046.jpg
    DSCN8046.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN8048.jpg
    DSCN8048.jpg