Surfriding Wet or dry suit preference and thickness

Pnutt

From( Jet Punks ) Texoma
Just looking to get some gear to make early season riding more fun.
So what do you wear and how thick ?
What water temps do you ride in with the gear described.
Seams like the thicker wet suits would reduce mobility.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
4/3 full body wetsuit. Coldest I've rode was 50*. A bit on the cold side but still rideable. My 1.5mil gloves were the weak spot. And my exposed cheeks/face. 60* and up is a piece of cake for a 4/3 full body wetsuit.

I wear a 3/2 and ride in no colder then 45* water. Its still cold. I also have 5 mil scuba booties and gloves. Ill be getting a 5mil for next year. I think 7 mil are only really thick enough to restrict mobility. When your ready to buy check out whiskeymilitia.com for good deals.

you dont need a thick suit if you ride hard. 3/2 neck entry surf wetsuits are plenty warm in most all conditions. i bought some nice dive fin socks 1-2 mil for inside my ride shoes. also run hand warmers. if your feet and hands are warm you can ride all day.

wydopen

onthepipe
6/5/4 for 32-49deg water (hood booties and gloves)
4/3 for 50-58 (most guys will wear booties and a hood still)
3/2 for 58+

on a ski you can get away with a thinner suit because u are moving the whole time..

Neither ! Semi-dry suit 4/3 why ? Because you barely get wet...Four of us Tampa crew have them for the 20-25 mph wind surf days...no wind chill because of the smooth skin rubber design.

Last edited:

Magnum Mike

Site Supporter
I love my Watcon drysuit for the lake, always warm and comfortable. I wear wool socks in the dry suit booties. I do not like the drysuit in the surf though, too hard to swim to the ski if/when you get separated from your ski This is not an issue at the lake compared to surf, you can take your time getting back to your ski on flatwater.

subhard

TITS OR GTFO
Xcel wetsuits are the best. Made for surfers to maximize mobility. I wear a full body 4/3 year round up here in Alaska. Even when there is ice still on the lake.
bapeve3y.jpg

djraider700

lol wut?
I use a 5/4 wetsuit but only if I must. I don't like wearing it but it extends my riding season. I rock just a rash guard and boardshorts down to about the 50-55 degree range. Gotta keep riding. It's when you stop for a while and the air gets to you that you get really cold.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
Kokatat dry suits! I've ridden in 34 degree air/38-40 degree water and been fine, other than hands and face. Very mobile with a layer or two of under armor synthetics underneath. Get out, remove suit, put shoes on, and drive home! Mine was replaced under warranty recently after 5-6 years of use. I sent it in for mods, and they found an issue with the gortex and replaced free, no questions.

Neil Pryde 5/4/3 Semi dry. Best suit I've ever owned. I wear it from water temps from 32 deg to 55 deg. before it get to uncomfortably warm. Then I switch to a Neil Pryde 3/2. ZERO wind Chill and with boots/gloves and a helmet I can stay out just about all day.

Neil Pryde 5/4/3 Semi dry. Best suit I've ever owned. I wear it from water temps from 32 deg to 55 deg. before it get to uncomfortably warm. Then I switch to a Neil Pryde 3/2. ZERO wind Chill and with boots/gloves and a helmet I can stay out just about all day.
X2 on that
Nei Pryde 5/4/3 steamer with booties and gloves for the cold days, then I rock the 3mil shorty. Kindof a big jump, as long as you keep moving its alright:p

Top Bottom