Super Jet what´s wrong with my ski?

I checked compression today and it was 170 psi in both cylinder.
I'm thinking of changing the ignition curve to something more aggresiv then the one the ignition came with, is that a good move???
I'm starting to get desperate here...

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I checked compression today and it was 170 psi in both cylinder.
I'm thinking of changing the ignition curve to something more aggresiv then the one the ignition came with, is that a good move???
I'm starting to get desperate here...

Have you contacted any of the engine builders for help? Did the person who sold you the engine tell you how to set it up? Have your tried tuning your carbs more? Have you verified that your powervalves are working? have you checked to be sure that 49mm carbs are not too big for a 800 motor? have you tried swaping the pump or changing the prop again?

I'd love to help, but tuning a Dasa PV motor with those parts is outside of my knowledge set. I'm curious what you have done to try to fix your problem?

Have you contacted any of the engine builders for help? Did the person who sold you the engine tell you how to set it up? Have your tried tuning your carbs more? Have you verified that your powervalves are working? have you checked to be sure that 49mm carbs are not too big for a 800 motor? have you tried swaping the pump or changing the prop again?

I'd love to help, but tuning a Dasa PV motor with those parts is outside of my knowledge set. I'm curious what you have done to try to fix your problem?

I have checked the power valves and they are working, I only changed the prop once from a 10/16 to a 13/15 no difference. I have checked for exhaust leakes but I can´t find any.
When I bought the engine I told the engine builder that I wanted some good carbs with it, and then I got the 49mm carbs so I hope they are good for this engine.
I have tveaked a little with the carbs but I can´t get more bottom out of it.
I have read on this forum that the dasa come with a higher porting, thats why I asked if it´s possible to change the porting to get more bottom end.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
a 720cc engine ported by [a friend] ....OEM carburetors and maybe an enhancer, it hit way much better than mine..

If this is still true, your engine has problems. I mentioned this about, oh, two years ago.
Here's what I would do:
  • perform a leak-down test
  • verify there are no blown o-rings or gaskets anywhere on the engine
  • verify the ignitions works as it should
  • verify that the exhaust isn't leaking (ride carefully with the hood off)
  • verify the carburetor fuel hosing is connected properly

Once you have made sure that all these very basic items are okay, contact the carb vendor and ask for jetting specs (or look into the carb jetting database thread on this site).

If this is still true, your engine has problems. I mentioned this about, oh, two years ago.
Here's what I would do:
  • perform a leak-down test
  • verify there are no blown o-rings or gaskets anywhere on the engine
  • verify the ignitions works as it should
  • verify that the exhaust isn't leaking (ride carefully with the hood off)
  • verify the carburetor fuel hosing is connected properly

Once you have made sure that all these very basic items are okay, contact the carb vendor and ask for jetting specs (or look into the carb jetting database thread on this site).
Yes It´s still true...sadly
How do I do a leak down test?
Should it not have been shoved with the compression test if there is any bad gaskets or o-rings?
The ignition is working good (how do I verify if it´s not?)
I´m going to ride with out the hood tomorrow.
The fuel hosing are all on there places.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Yes It´s still true...sadly
How do I do a leak down test?
Should it not have been shoved with the compression test if there is any bad gaskets or o-rings?
The ignition is working good (how do I verify if it´s not?)
I´m going to ride with out the hood tomorrow.
The fuel hosing are all on there places.

You might take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Tech FAQ forum on this site. It will help you out immensely.
Leak down test
Bad gaskets or o-rings will not necessarily show on a compression test.
I understand the fuel hosing is on there. But how do you know it is correct?
Do you maybe have someone that could look at it for you? I get the impression that your mechanical skill level may be a bit below what's needed to get this motor going - and that's a terrible waste of a good motor.

You might take a minute to familiarize yourself with the Tech FAQ forum on this site. It will help you out immensely.
Leak down test
Bad gaskets or o-rings will not necessarily show on a compression test.
I understand the fuel hosing is on there. But how do you know it is correct?
Do you maybe have someone that could look at it for you? I get the impression that your mechanical skill level may be a bit below what's needed to get this motor going - and that's a terrible waste of a good motor.

Haha no kidding I got no mechanical skills what so ever, but I´m trying to learn :)
I don´t really have so many people that are familiar with jet ski engines around me, so I just need to try to learn how all things works.
That´s why I´m on here asking questions :)

take it to the shop or the guy that built the motor/sold you the carbs in the first place and get him to tune it properly, and be prepared to pay him for the work. If you had done this 2 years ago it would be a diffrent story, and STOP RIDING IT THE WAY IT IS.

The shop where I bought it, is in another country. I am not sending my ski away, this problem must go and fix here. If I send it away then there will be no riding this summer either. This thing has sat in my garage for almost 4 years because I have not had the time to mess with it.
Now I maybe have some time over this summer, so I'm trying to repair/tune it myself so I maybe can ride atleast when I'm repairing/tuning it.

there are other riders in europe on this forum that im sure could help you if you took a road trip to meet up with them, riding it as under powered as you say it is and not knowing what is wrong is only going to give you more things to have to learn how to fix. read the tech section 100 times as matt-e suggested, rule out the simple stuff first, plus post pictures and im sure you will get more input.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
As it turns out, his friend was lying. It wasn't a worked 771. It was actually a xs1200 dialed in.

Okay, I made that up, but that would be a funny ending.

I'm reading the tech section and I have found that I have the water routing a little different. I have the water from the head to a T fitting and out and the other to the flowcontrol before the stinger. But it seems the way to do it is from the headpipe to the T fitting and from the head directly out. Can this be a part of my problem?

No, that won't contribute to your problem. Is the bottom end just sluggish when you grab the throttle like it's loading up with fuel (rich), or does it hesitate like it almost wants to stall before it takes off and starts going (lean)? And what do the plugs look like?

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
So...2 years later. And the op still has a dasa engine incorrectly tuned / or something mechanically wrong? I'd probably be a little upset. Or have taken it to someone else. Listen to matt_E. don't wander to far from the basics.

No, that won't contribute to your problem. Is the bottom end just sluggish when you grab the throttle like it's loading up with fuel (rich), or does it hesitate like it almost wants to stall before it takes off and starts going (lean)? And what do the plugs look like?
It's like there is no power it runs fine but no power , the power comes on higher in the power band and then it takes of very good.
A friend of mine (got an sxr) tried it and he was surprised how fast it was. To bad that I'm not interested in top speed..

So...2 years later. And the op still has a dasa engine incorrectly tuned / or something mechanically wrong? I'd probably be a little upset. Or have taken it to someone else. Listen to matt_E. don't wander to far from the basics.

Yes I am following matts advice, one step at the time :) Now I know it's not the cooling.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
Aren't dasa motors ported different? To make power in mid range and higher rpms? I "thought" someone was telling me here recently with the way flat water has gone ( flip to flip to flip to barrel roll to flip to flat spin 360 to flip) that your more in the mid to higher rpms rather than brap brap brap- let off- brraaaaaaap. If that makes any :):):):)in sense at all.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Brian has a XS900R, and Bill has a JM781BB. Bill's ski feels like it is going to rip your arms off. Brian's ski feels very tame. Side by side, Brian's ski destroy's Bill's ski in every way. The PV make smooth delivery of power so what has more power, feels like less.

My Gp1200 feels very fast, but the reality of it is that it is not. Yes, it does almost 60, but in rough water it's more like 50. It just plows and hops and feels like a pissed off bull. In your mind, you know it can do 60, and you are getting your ass kicked so you must be doing 60, but meanwhile the guy on the 787 Seadoo Xp with 30 less HP things his ski is slow because it only does 55 on the flat, it feels so much slower than the 1200 on the rough, but in a rough water race, they run side by side. The XP hull design makes the ride smoother, so it feels slower, but it's not.

Are you sure it wasn't just in your mind that it was more powerful? You only have 50 more displacement and PV. You should have more power but not OMG this is so insane I can't believe how amazing this power is I just :):):):) myself more power. It's going to make some more power, but it's not going to feel like more power. The BB yamaha motors feel powerful because it gives you everythign right away then taps out. The PV motors give you the same amount but don't feel like it, and then they just keep going for so much longer. I just know that 900R feels like it has less than that 781BB, but I know that is simply not true. It's like removing a waterbox and gaining 50HP, even if you loose 5hp. It just seems faster.

What I'm saying is, maybe the problem is your expectations of the motor and the illusion of smooth power with less noise?

PS. The XS900R was built by Xscream and the JM781BB was built by Blue. They were both tuned by Chuckie of XS. They both run correctly, and I compared them both on the same day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom