Other What All Around Lithium Battery to Buy?

2lick

Brap!!!
Wondered if anyone has an opinion to share?

I'm considering a WPS featherweight lithium battery. Either the HJTX14H-FP-IL or the HJTX9-FP-IL. I'm replacing a Deka ETX12. I've never run a lithium and only paid a little attention to what people have liked and not liked. I wrote it off thinking they were to expensive, needed a special charger, and finicky... but now considering trying a WPS Featherweight battery. They seem to be around $100... have a built in charge indicator... can get a 90% charge in 6 minutes... I believe the battery will work with my existing charger (Schumacher SC-600a - http://www.batterychargers.com/sc-600a/). I do run one bilge pump but my hull doesn't take on much water and I only turn it on "sometimes" and don't leave it on when floating.

Anyone have any experience with the WPS battery to steer me either way?
Which one? Or none?

Existing Deka ETX12
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 180
Amp-hour (Ah) 10
Dimensions L x W x H (in) 5.9 x 3.4 x 5.1
Weight (lbs) 9.4​

WPS Featherweight - HJTX9-FP-IL
180 CCA
L 6" x W 3-7/16" x H 4-3/8"
Polarity: +Left
1.5 Lbs
$95 shipped

WPS Featherweight - HJTX14H-FP-IL
240 CCA
L 6" x W 3-7/16" x H 4-1/8"
2.0 Lbs
$116 shipped

I don't need "the best" and don't want crazy maintenance (pull and charge after every ride) or to need to have a back up battery (tho my lead battery will be my backup)... I just thought for ~$100 this was a good way to drop 8lbs from my ski. Plus the tank holds the weight up high. The FE only makes it worse...
W6JOYxW4sWfpiWMZ--WWjpi-AQuVsDr45J40S6J7tMvhzVd7cJ5nJph0NOVbxkaU184D7YkOHMRXO-m0aOdCLvGGXLJ5cULHIUJdkfAb0c0tgQsp15UnMcrcPennSawA_BNVLJuKuDMGK-MzOXSGy4vItM35zNN55jOjiO7zC4-J5RISyH5FpJR9TcJHnxhRpPQdJhR33hTC5bj6AU_TREf-JDvyGi7RDfgCnZYviEVNhF87ERazkxKVYSFaPyF2EvE0feSMry3SWl0zsmE4GW88iPeuXHPtv4OV0sBhGWqzeRMMo6q1la53VvvQI42uYCXe3uUAZfMWtKKBMtr1n7PV_vXNyAhgFdE1LL1-9gcPj3Sof5C7xGBG4fc5t4nedZSDYN2Hb-CjkLRK_Ra0EomHPAQ4zKyKldx--_WqdzUJqvfchxeSn4ZXJkPsUeD1Yw2E1qKBfYl1q0MtssYFWweMmgBZrou1mK-fm8WMKu4BeDDgb1fkSc-PPk3OI6GBYctdzz1wUQXDM_8H9KUOfQ6fmpvziamjAEZD9KLxzv_oAzKHxUA0qL5ybKk_wau9lQYAUQ=w1826-h1027-no

Thanks in advance!
-Nick

Last edited:

2lick

Brap!!!
Jr has been running the WPS batteries with good luck. What hull is that?

Thanks, do you know what size or model number? I actually just noticed they have "waterproof" ones as well but not in the direct it replacement sizes I looked up...
Its a carbon brawler hull.

Fro Diesel

creative control
Wps for the win. I also seal the cases externally just for peace of mind. Gorilla tape, electronic tape any high quality, and prep the surface w acetone. This is also this time to replace your battery cables. Seriously. I once had weak start on my freak bc of bad ground cable. It was almost completely severed inside the sheath. Now i know 180cca is all ya need for 701 @185psi.

Pretty sure the wps and advance lithium's are the same, just different color casing. I have had decent luck with my advance batteries with total loss. I like the idea that if it craps out on me I don't have to ship it back for a replacement. Not losing a weekend of riding is worth a good amount to me.

Hey man I had the hjtx14s in the rok. It was advertised as 290cca and was actually 320cca according to the box when it got to me. They also use standard auto shut off battery tenders....

2lick

Brap!!!
I usually buy all my batteries at advance auto parts because you can always find a $40 off $100 coupon code, and if I ever have problems with a battery, getting a replacement is easy.
This is the one I have, but no longer use it since I am not running TL anymore. But @jo5hi3 runs this battery or one similar. It is of similar size to a Deka ETX9.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...fp-2/10570099-P?searchTerm=lithium#fragment-2

Thanks for the tip! I didnt know about these ones... I looked into buying local but no store within 30 miles stocks either model. So the buying local for an easy dad battery swap wont help me :-/

Wps for the win. I also seal the cases externally just for peace of mind. Gorilla tape, electronic tape any high quality, and prep the surface w acetone. This is also this time to replace your battery cables. Seriously. I once had weak start on my freak bc of bad ground cable. It was almost completely severed inside the sheath. Now i know 180cca is all ya need for 701 @185psi.

Thanks for the tips! If I order one I'll look at waterproofing it to. I have brand new battery cables so good to go!
So based on your experience the YTX9 Replacement - HJTX9-FP with 180cca is enough. Its a half pound lighter and $20 cheaper, neither a deal breaker for me but a win if it works!

Pretty sure the wps and advance lithium's are the same, just different color casing. I have had decent luck with my advance batteries with total loss. I like the idea that if it craps out on me I don't have to ship it back for a replacement. Not losing a weekend of riding is worth a good amount to me.

Good to know, thanks!

Hey man I had the hjtx14s in the rok. It was advertised as 290cca and was actually 320cca according to the box when it got to me. They also use standard auto shut off battery tenders....

Why didn't you say so man! Haha, I never noticed. So i guess you had good luck with it.
Looks like I'm spending another $100 :)

Yeah man. It was a great purchase and the charge indicator is clutch. The dimensions were off a hair so make sure you have enough room in the limitedslip tank

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
First yoi did not state if you are you running TL or stock fw/stator system.

If you arnt running TL stay away from lithiums.

2lick

Brap!!!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/111823730737?_mwBanner=1
Not sure if this one is waterproof but it's the one he said they use.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cool thanks! That one is "waterproof" and a bigger model than what I was looking at. Unfortunately it wont fit in my battery location.

WPS Featherweight Lithium Batteries HJTX20AH-FP-Q 12V/72WH
380 CCA
L 6-7/8" x W 3-7/16" x H 5-1/8"
Polarity: +Left Quad Terminal
3.7 Lbs
Waterproof

Jr.

Standing Tall
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cool thanks! That one is "waterproof" and a bigger model than what I was looking at. Unfortunately it wont fit in my battery location.

WPS Featherweight Lithium Batteries HJTX20AH-FP-Q 12V/72WH
380 CCA
L 6-7/8" x W 3-7/16" x H 5-1/8"
Polarity: +Left Quad Terminal
3.7 Lbs
Waterproof

That's the one I'm running, on its 3rd season! Running TL!

2lick

Brap!!!
That's the one I'm running, on its 3rd season! Running TL!

Good to know, thanks for chiming in!

Since they don't sell a waterproof 9 or 12... Maybe I'll consider the model a size bigger than the 12 and below the 20 which is waterproof rated and will fit my dimensions...

WPS Featherweight - HJTX14AH-FP-Q
250 CCA
L 5-5/16" x W 3" x H 5 1/4"
2.0 Lbs
Waterproof
Price $129

Last edited:

Ducky

Back in the game!
Do you know what models? I couldn't find a "waterproof" rated one that fit my specs.

I am not running total loss. Why does that matter?

In short, I believe it is because lithium batteries are really meant to be fully drained and then recharged. There is a thread on here with a lot of great info. When I was testing a TL system, I used a lithium, but was told to go back to AGM when I switched back to a charging system.

I've been running the wps size 14 for 8 months with no issues. Stock charging system. Totally drained it twice when swamping my ski and the indicator no longer works. So far so good.
made my heavy ski a little lighter for cheap too.

The wps bayteries seem to all be the same. All waterproof and just some amazon sellers post it in the description and some dont

Top Bottom