What brand of hand tools do you mostly use when wrenching on your ski?

jetskiking

Im done sanding!!!
mostly craftsman and husky but my favorite has to be the anodized color coded sockets from harbour frieght i use in my beach box. purple 10mm, red 14mm, black 12mm:biggthumpup: dosnt get any eisier than that.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I need to upgrade pretty soon, I think the socket set I have has the name brand 'Buffalo'.

I gotta get me something easier on my eyes like these from Craftsman:

just a heads up. I'm not real careful with my tools and sometimes the get wet and stay wet. those sockets you posted rust on the etched numbers.

Hogggman

Stock Sucks
Craftsman husky and kobalt. Starting to buy more Kobalt now they are actually made by Matco. When I was going to autobody school the matco rep came in and they actually had them right in the matco catalog

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
I have a hodgepodge of tools from Snap On, Blue Point, Craftsman, HF, and Kobalt.

My favorite sets of tools (for skis) have to be my swivel end gear wrenches and sadly, a 1/4" Stanley metric/SAE socket set that all fits in a case 8"x6".... I think I paid $12 for it 4-5 yrs ago.

I've actually been pretty impressed with Kobalt though. For the price and quality they do a great job!

Kobalt SUX... I have some Kobalt and it seems that I am taking them back more than the super cheap stuff from Harbor Freight. The 1/4 and 3/8 swivel head ratchet gets returned about every other week when they skip a gear and I bust a knuckle or peel a fingernail off. I am trying to get my money back so I can buy the swivel head set at Harbor freight. But the manager at Lowes keeps saying that "it must be a bad run that this one will be better"

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Well I'm an ASE Master Tech, I use mainly a large Craftsman set I got for my HS graduation 14yrs ago with great longevity out of it.. I have some Snap-on, Matco, and Cornwell... I have broke them all.. I like the Snap On stuff, but after having about 8 dealers come and go over the past 13yrs with LONG breaks in between, I don't want something that is impossible to replace.. They all have their perks and not so much perks.. Craftsman is easy because Sears is everywhere and they are cheapish..

My Fave is my 14.4v 3/8" cordless impact.. I am on my 2nd one now because I use the crap out of it.. handy, easy to regulate power, and good quality... I have had 2 different Snap On ones that SUCKED! My last 12v one lost the planetaries about 18mo after I got it.. Parts weren't available and there was no dealer around to be found to get it fixed.. Sucked to have to round file a $500 impact gun.. I still have the 7.6v one i bought 13yrs ago, but it needs batteries and probably a full rebuild.. haha

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Kobalt SUX... I have some Kobalt and it seems that I am taking them back more than the super cheap stuff from Harbor Freight. The 1/4 and 3/8 swivel head ratchet gets returned about every other week when they skip a gear and I bust a knuckle or peel a fingernail off. I am trying to get my money back so I can buy the swivel head set at Harbor freight. But the manager at Lowes keeps saying that "it must be a bad run that this one will be better"

That really sucks, sorry to hear it. All of my Kobalt stuff has been serving me for years with no problems. You probably did get a sh*tty batch.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
gear wench. cheap and a life time warranty. what more could you ask for. all you have to do is go to any advance auto parts and they will trade out your broken tool.

of course there are some things you just cant cheap out on. like torque wrenches.

Last edited:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I don't know that a life time warranty is really worth it. Most of my tools are craftsman and I return the ratchets all the time. sometimes the "rebuilt" rachets are no better than the ones I return. One of these days I'm going to buy a set of real tools like snap-on.

I have mostly snap on, but recent purchased a set of mac edge sockets, and could not be any happier, they will take off even the most rounded bolt. the snap on 80 tooth ratchets are hard to beat. I really like my regular old gear wrenches too, you can get them warrantied anywhere, and they are relatively inexpensive.

There's a reason my Blaster is known as "The Freight Train". lol I have had great results with Stanley tools from walmart, except the ratchets, they suck, and that's an understatement. I want to get a nice set of wrenches, but my Stanley wrench set has done me great for 8 years now and why replace them. I tend to buy Harbor Freight tools if an awesome coupon. They have an $8 heat gun and a $6 pneumatic cut off wheel that's hard to beat.

Black and Decker 14.4V cordless drill.......:headbang:

I use it so much its not even funny.......In fact, I will search for an hour for an adaptor for my BD just so I dont ahve to hand-out a single bolt :wiggle::shrug::biggrin:

lol me too,I hate ratchets

I use to lug my Craftsman tools back and forth for my house to the family beach house.......then I just went to harbor freight and pieced a tool kit together when they had one of there mega sales....no complaints or broken fingers

gc4

I'd be lost without the x
pretty much only mastercraft.. canadian tire will routinely have 50 - 75% of sales on their mastercraft tools so i pick my tools up when its their week on the sale block. and they have lifetime warranty which ct is great about.

they aren't the best tools out there but they work for what i need

Top Bottom