Other What oil do you use and why?

I run amsoil intercepter. My first polaris engine still ran great till I tore it done running amsoil and that was with one crank bearing completely gone and the rest very lose. I know the previous owner abused it a lot, but I believe amsoil kept it going. It's also that's its less than 50 cents a gallon to run amsoil over the cheap stuff and that in itself is cheap insurance for these expensive engines.

Speaking of oil, does oil go bad? Example, got a gallon of Yamalube , still with foil seal on top, but it's aprox 10 years old...Is it still good to go?

Ive been warned my whole life not to run old oil, but, if its not open, il mix it with new and call it god. I run wally world oil but i can only get the little quarts, whats the exact name on the gallons of wally oil you guys run?

Speaking of oil, does oil go bad? Example, got a gallon of Yamalube , still with foil seal on top, but it's aprox 10 years old...Is it still good to go?

Should be fine. Look up Blackstone labs in Indiana. They did some tests on oil that was probably 50 years old and it still retained most if not all of it's original properties.

They have newsletters that come out regularly. It was in one of them.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Walmart, any generic TCW3 is :):):):) oil.

I was running generics. Walmart, Westmarine, etc. I had horrible water ingestion problems. I started thinking about this blue froth I had on stuff all the time. One of the guys in the group on a B1 had similar problems in the surf. He found a local place that wholesales Merc Quicksilver (fill you 1ga from a 55ga, $20/ga), so he gave it a shot. No more water ingestion issues. I switched, my issues vastly improved (X2 always has ingestion issues).

So, of course, experiment to back up a claim...

Take your :):):):) generic oil. Put about 1" worth in a glass jar. Put the next 5-6" as water (old spagitti jars work good). Shake well. Quicksilver immediately beads up like cooking oil. Generics turn the water blue, froth and take hours to separate. Oil the mixes with water? What the crap?

We have found a place local that sells amzoil for $28/ga wholesale, so I may be switching over to that once I burn through my stockpile of quicksilver, now that I can afford a little better oil.

I'm sure a few of those threads OCD linked have similar info.

Moral of the story, buy the best oil you can afford, but don't buy the cheapest available even if it's all you can afford.

SXIPro02 did the test and posted pictures. Don't miss that thread...

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/138904-another-oil-post

Last edited:
Top Bottom