Custom/Hybrid Which Hull to get?

Hey Guys, I am a fairly new rider to the jet ski biz but i love it and am looking to get a ski that i can grow on and advance quickly into the freestyle tricks. i currently have an 08 sxr but am finding it is very heavy to launch out of the water. I have been doing a little bit of research into aftermarket hulls and found a couple that tweek my interest and wondering what you think is best suited for flat water.

I am Considering the BOB gen 2 hull, very good price point, nice look and good options included.

Or the EME sky Q8 which seems to be a very high end hull with a great name behind it.

I would be looking at putting in a aftermarket engine like a 771 or 863.

Thanks for all your opinions

tempest

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
attachment.php

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I think the Superfreak is one of the most capable flatwater hulls out there. It's very light, strong, and super versatile.
However, I don't think you can put a Kawasaki driveline into it.
For that, you're probably stuck with EME boats, a BOB, or a WDK hull. Figure out what your budget for a hull is and go from there. You generally get what you pay for, so the more money you can spend on a hull, the happier you'll be in the end (generally speaking).

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
the superfreak is a little more than i was looking to spend, 8k before pole and paint, where the bob is 4k, sky 5800. The wf ski looks interesting as well

Keep in mind that the $4k BOB is a glass hull. Comparing apples to apples, you can get a glass Superfreak for under $5k if I'm not mistaken.
A carbon BOB will set you back about $6k.

I'm not sure what the layup on the EME hulls is.

Keep in mind that the $4k BOB is a glass hull. Comparing apples to apples, you can get a glass Superfreak for under $5k if I'm not mistaken.
A carbon BOB will set you back about $6k.

I'm not sure what the layup on the EME hulls is.

That is very true, there is just too many choices out there... well looks like i should have a good winter project ahead of me

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Are there any local or near you that you can maybe test ride? The feel of the ski along with hull strength is also a factor... I still haven't ridden any of the options that are/were around me, Matt- SuperFreak, Zack- Rickter & LightWeight, Christian- B.O.B. They all look like great skis, not so sure on some of the Rickter's though, I have seen some major cracking in the gelcoats, but those maybe the early materials in those hulls I saw.. The BOB of Christian's had some flaws too, but I don't remember seeing any cracking, that was very noticeable at least...

Waternut

Customizing addict
Everyone has their own opinion on hulls... Hence all the choices. The best advice I can give you if you can't ride them for yourself is to read, read, and then read some more. Once you've gotten all the feedback from people who have ridden the hulls, then find out EXACTLY what is required to make the hull work. Some require custom intake grates, midshafts, pole mounts, engine mounts, hoods, gas tanks, etc. etc. I won't call any particular hull maker out but plenty of them give you the introductory price to peak your interest. Then once you call to order, you're informed that you need an additional $500-$2000 just to swap the components from your current hull to the one you just bought for $4000-$6000.

armymen0268

Bo-Man
Hey Guys, I am a fairly new rider to the jet ski biz but i love it and am looking to get a ski that i can grow on and advance quickly into the freestyle tricks. i currently have an 08 sxr but am finding it is very heavy to launch out of the water. I have been doing a little bit of research into aftermarket hulls and found a couple that tweek my interest and wondering what you think is best suited for flat water.

tempest

A Kawasaki JS440....:wiggle:

All aftermarket hulls have their own benefits. But I must say the Rev hull that I bought is the sexiest one on the market. Take a look at those lines, it just flows.

Love my Superfreak. I can't think of any way I would even change it.

I like Rickters in the surf, but they bore me on flat water.

Would love to ride Wolf Child's ski.

Have not ridden a BOB, but have heard some less than ideal reviews on the Gen. 1, but it sounds like the Gen. 2 is much better.

Like others said. Try to ride a few before you drop the cash. If you are going to put 5-6k into a new hull, why not spend $300 to $400 on a quick trip to ride a few of them. I have ridden skis that had rave reviews, but when I rode them I absolutely hated them.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Make sure if you are comparing them that you are comparing fiberglass to fiberglass and compare what you are getting for you money. Don't just look at web sites. Actually talk to the builders and find out exactly what the real price will be.

With Tem(Berky) I got exactly what I ordered and got it with in a week or so of when it was promised.

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
Visual Carbon BOB is 6k, carbon is 5.5K, and wet lay up 4k with paint, turf and stock BOB sticker. you wont find a better deal than that on the market for sure. But is the BOB is built for your riding style ??? I love the BOBhold, i tried FS2 and Q8, and i can tell you that the BOBholds are the best, sooo comfortable !!! and all the part from a RN fit perfect and easy to install

on Freak website its write that the glass ski is coming soon, what is the price for that ??? i saw a couple of glass ski over here but no pricing.

what is your budget ???

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
Love my Superfreak. I can't think of any way I would even change it.

I like Rickters in the surf, but they bore me on flat water.

Would love to ride Wolf Child's ski.

Have not ridden a BOB, but have heard some less than ideal reviews on the Gen. 1, but it sounds like the Gen. 2 is much better.

Like others said. Try to ride a few before you drop the cash. If you are going to put 5-6k into a new hull, why not spend $300 to $400 on a quick trip to ride a few of them. I have ridden skis that had rave reviews, but when I rode them I absolutely hated them.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Make sure if you are comparing them that you are comparing fiberglass to fiberglass and compare what you are getting for you money. Don't just look at web sites. Actually talk to the builders and find out exactly what the real price will be.

With Tem(Berky) I got exactly what I ordered and got it with in a week or so of when it was promised.
come to daytona and I will make it happen.

The most capable hull out right now is the Lightweight Revolution hull... completely customizable.... can go from a -4 length hull to a stock length to a + 4 length hull in a matter of 5 minutes.... it is the only true all in one hull... and comes with a 2 year crack free guarantee

But it is more expensive than other hulls, but you definately get what you pay for.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
The most capable hull out right now is the Lightweight Revolution hull... completely customizable.... can go from a -4 length hull to a stock length to a + 4 length hull in a matter of 5 minutes.... it is the only true all in one hull... and comes with a 2 year crack free guarantee

But it is more expensive than other hulls, but you definately get what you pay for.

Yes it is for sure!! Norbert knows how to build them for longevity, he says it should be the last hull you will ever buy! Zack Bright couldn't say enough about his new LW and how strong & customizable in minutes it is. They are a bit expensive, but WELL worth the extra cost!

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Wolf Child

How do you like the vision in the surf? How does it compare to a SJ. What style riding would you say the hull fits best. I talked to steve from WCF and he said to ask you how you liked it. If you ever come down to sebastian inlet let me know would love to check out your ski!

Top Bottom