Custom/Hybrid Who else is glad they didnt buy a stunt hull?

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Steve,

Jeff's reputation has been very consistent over the past six to seven years.

Ya, I know, consistently hit or miss....but like I said, I wouldn't lump them in with the same group as Highroller and Goose.

I suppose I'm just a bit over trusting by nature.

I'm currently looking for some oceanfront property in Arizona if anyone has any.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
I'll state my opinion on this topic at the risk of insulting others and sounding like a dick but there is a lot of negativity regarding these hulls and I'm really beginning to resent all the negative implications directed at the current owners. The majority of the negativity belongs to the manufacturer but I also place some of the blame on the individual builders. All the people I've seen that have sold or are trying to sell stunt hulls either gave up before starting or gave up on the build when they bolted everything together and it didn't work perfect right out of the box.

Don't get me wrong, I have NOTHING good to say about Dan and the highroller name but I will say that if you expect a brand new custom hull to meet all of your expectations right out of the box, you're either dreaming or you need to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Look at the BOB hull... Great company but it's got it's issues too and it cost more than double that of a stunt hull.

One more thing I'd like to state about this is... I thoroughly enjoy my stunt hull and many people that have ridden it think it's a blast as well. Granted most would set it up a bit differently but when have you ever ridden someone else's hull and thought it was set up perfectly for you? My stunt has withstood a great deal of abuse as well. I don't ever want to go back to a stock hull. I will NEVER recommend anyone buy one from highroller but there are a select few stunt hull owners out there that have set up good hulls and enjoy them very much.

Well wrote,John!

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
As an owner of a Trinty Matrix I can honestly say I am very glad to have purhase it and have no intention of sellin it anytime soon. I do agree that the cost per weight may not seem like a large enough spread to justify it but that is an unfair comparison to start with. The real question is, how much does an oem hull weigh once it has been reinforced to match the strength of even the cheapest version of a Trinity product? I won't even go into the handling part of it because there is no comparison to be made there.

How many of you are familiar with the 80/20 rule? That's where a married man walks from a good woman who is 80% of what he needs in favor of a hot woman is only 20%. I see the same thing happening in hulls. Unless you plan on backflipping your ski from the time you launch to the time you load back up, I don't see what the draw is...for a primary ski anyways. If you have a couple good skis already and want to build a purpose built ski for backflips then by all means go for it, but my advice to those selling everything to sink into a backflip hull is to rethink your logic. Your gonna end up with a woman that will blow you regularly but doesn't know how to do jack chit else. The backflip hull should be kept like a mistress...on the side...then you have 100% right? : biggrin:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Definitely like a hot woman, take the hotest chick (ski) you can find and there is always one dude who is sick of nailing (riding) her.

There is no real answer to the one miracle ski that does it all. You can chose a ski that best fits your purpose and what you want to do with your ski within your budget. I think sometimes people forget the diversity within our own sport. Racing, surf, flatwater, rec riding, there are so many facets to what you can do out there on the water that we may never agree on the perfect platform for all of them. The one thing we can agree on though is when you pay for a product it should be built to the quality of the dollars invested. There is a reason the Trinity stuff is top notch, it's built out of the highest exotic components and years of skills working with the products and tools to create, all that comes at a price. The Stunt is a budget product that isn't necessarily made with inferior tech just lesser quality stuff. We all know that same song and dance. But a lack of product support is never acceptable whether your laying down bread for a flame arrestor or a full XS1000, the company selling the product needs to be behind its goods. If you still go and buy knowing they don't then god speed to ya. Just my 2c.. (My 20%BOB has done things to me my old 80% Superjet never would. hahaha)

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
On the purpose of the hull topic...i must say that I get bored on flat water unless I am rolling or flipping off huge cruiser wakes or v-wakes. Yet, I ride surf a few weekend a year where I need a hull that does that well, too.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
You say that almost everyone that built a stunt is selling it but personally I've seen more matrix's up for sale then stunts and they're supposed to be great build quality. Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just me?

Well, lets clear the air.

Matrix #1 - Pancakepete. He loved it, but he had a little girl coming and his work has come to a halt, What is more important, ski or family............ FAMILY
Matrix #2 & #3 Carbonjet - He ordered 2, took delivery of #2 and his back got tweaked. Both ski's were sold, and both are being ridden and are not up for sale.
Matrix #4 Kommander built this one up for Josh Lustic to compete on at WF. This was ment to be used basically one time and then sold (Normal practice in Pro Ranks, go look at Farthing and Maccluggage, they sell their ski's every year, sometimes they sell 2 a year.
Matrix #5 - Guy up in Mich. Sorry cannot remember his name. Not sure why he selling but off all the ones sold, his is the only one that is outright selling it to get something else.

So, of the 5 listed, there is really only 1 that is being sold for not liking it (or so it seems).

As Paul Harvey would say...........

"Good Day"

OCD Solutions

#6 belongs to GDFL and I own #7 and neither of us plan to sell anytime soon.

#8 will be heading to Canada and #9 was ordered by a buddy after riding mine once. What does that say about them?

I'm waitin to hear who just scored #5 off ebay for $4600...

Last edited:

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
#5 is now me (to go with #2 I got from Carbonjet). I want to do a surf build... #2 is quite happy and ridden 3-4 times a week on the freshwater lake we live on.

Everyone that's ridden #2 here loves it, especially going back to back with a stock hull.

Ryan

OCD Solutions

Awesome score Ryan!!! It says a lot when current owners are all over getting another one. How many stunt owners are looking to sign up for another?

RyanITV

Living on the lake!
My wife's build is a WCF hull that Thrust went through (reinforced, prepped, etc). I was going to go with a Matrix for her, but wanted something different to play with. The sides of the tray on the WCF hull are lower and curved, so it's easier for her to take off.

I don't mind the stock hulls (I've only ridden pre-2008 bottoms), but I've had them stress crack pretty easy. I'll say this for the Trinity hull - the thing will take a beating.

Ryan

I stand corrected then. I just stated what I saw I didn't even think about Pete and his kid or any of the others for that matter. I guess everyone has there reason for selling and most are valid.

Well, lets clear the air.

Matrix #1 - Pancakepete. He loved it, but he had a little girl coming and his work has come to a halt, What is more important, ski or family............ FAMILY
Matrix #2 & #3 Carbonjet - He ordered 2, took delivery of #2 and his back got tweaked. Both ski's were sold, and both are being ridden and are not up for sale.
Matrix #4 Kommander built this one up for Josh Lustic to compete on at WF. This was ment to be used basically one time and then sold (Normal practice in Pro Ranks, go look at Farthing and Maccluggage, they sell their ski's every year, sometimes they sell 2 a year.
Matrix #5 - Guy up in Mich. Sorry cannot remember his name. Not sure why he selling but off all the ones sold, his is the only one that is outright selling it to get something else.

So, of the 5 listed, there is really only 1 that is being sold for not liking it (or so it seems).

As Paul Harvey would say...........

"Good Day"

How come no one ever talks about pancake breaking his matrix? Or bobby having to fly to nj a couple times to fix pancakes ski? Yes I said couple of times. I think bobby is a great kid and makes a great product. I'm asking this as honest question

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
How come no one ever talks about pancake breaking his matrix? Or bobby having to fly to nj a couple times to fix pancakes ski? Yes I said couple of times. I think bobby is a great kid and makes a great product. I'm asking this as honest question

I honestly never heard that but have seen an EVO with some cracks.

RyanITV

Living on the lake!

Good question. I'll ask Pancake. When he saw my matrix, he had nothing but good things to say about it.

Good question. I'll ask Pancake. When he saw my matrix, he had nothing but good things to say about it.

I'm not saying anything bad about the matrix I think its a great ski and product I wish I owned one to be honest.
I just don't understand the reason behind the big cover up. Every time I ask this question I get how did you hear about you shouldn't know that for a answer. I know roughly what the problems were. The second problem had what I thought was a funny excuse

Big Kahuna

Administrator

Boat #1. There is bound to be something that may go wrong,(Especially if it is the very first one built. but if Bobby flew up there to fix it then what more could you ask for. Kinda like bashing XMetal for broken poles. But wait, Pat warranties each and every one of those. I cannot recall Goose flying down to my house to repair the so called ride plate he sent me or Dan offering to fly over and help each and every one of the people who bought his hulls/kits.

And back to Pete, I dont think he ever once posted anything about it having an issue. And was it damage or defect???

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It rarely does anyone any good to air their complaints/problems/whatever on a public forum, especially when things are sorted out by the involved parties anyhow.

Top Bottom