Who's got/ridden a flatdeck ski?

Waternut

Customizing addict
I've been debating this concept for a while but I'm afraid of messing up a good ski in my experiment.

Here are my reasons for wanting to try it...
1. Lighter.
2. Easier to keep your feet in place with straps.
3. I can ride barefooted with straps...ouch with footholds.
4. No more bald spots on your ankles...sexy!
5. No more bruises on your ankles...I've got one now that makes me not want to ride.

Here are my biggest concerns...
1. Is it more or less controllable since you don't have the sides to push against with your legs.
2. When getting up or dropping back real quick, how much of a pain is it without the sides to put your elbows on?
3. How hard is it to kick the ski away if you mess up and get off balance?
4. Is it harder on your ankles?

Im in the same boat as you, they look like they could be alot of fun. Once i buy a RN im going to find an old 550 hull to try it on and just use the parts from my current 550. I would try to find a cheap hull to cut up, then swap your motor over that way if it isnt that great you can swap back and if it rocks leave it and sell your old hull or just buy new parts and have another ski

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Defiantly lighter and way more controllable,it takes a while to get used to though because of the extra leverage you have on the back of ski,you can get way out of whack with it and kick one corner of the ski real hard to bring it back in line,boarding isn't that hard but it does take some getting used to thats for sure.

Takes a little getting used to, but it's bad ass. I like it a lot. I think I have way more control due to the unlimited foot placement. I ride X2Rags flat decker all the time. If it were setup for me with footstraps and pole in the right place and right length I could ride the bejesus out of it, but it's setup for him. I don't think it's hard to board, infact you can side mount fast and easy.
It's different, but a blast.
My opinion is GO FOR IT.

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
ive got an old SN hull sitting at home that is going under the knife as soon as i get my ass out of the desert. flat decks look like so much fun. but i too am scared of ruining a good hull. thats why i picked up a $150 SN to chop apart and will just transplant my drivetrain to see if i really like it. worse case ill throw a stock 650 in it and have it as a novelty for the friends.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I would also consider the fact that the ski is now less boyant and will probably not float if full of water.

That old X2 is almost exactly what I'm going for with another hull I have. That looks so bad ass to see it done! I would love to go check it all out over there.

Waternut

Customizing addict
flat decks look like so much fun. but i too am scared of ruining a good hull.

That's exactly where I am. Although my new foam has absorbed so much water in only a few rides, that it may need work in another month or so. If that proves to be the case, I have may have a good excuse to go ahead and defoam the thing and flat deck it at the same time.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
On mine I added a lot of foam to the nose and foamed in large sections in the hood to replace the foam I lost in the gunnels,I don't think it would sink if you tried now,I also have two crossbar pads and now it self rights instantly when turned upside down.

spug

The Silver Surfer
Just do it, you WILL love it. I have been on mine for a couple seasons now and no regrets or downfalls. Go for it man. It's all good. Trust me, I am extremely picky about how my ski rides.

Waternut

Customizing addict
seems like it might be a little nose light, then again it might take 10# in glass to make it strong again.

You're removing weight from the back...wouldn't it be nose heavy? Thinking that, this may be exactly what I want. I'll probably try this sometime after I've gotten comfortable in the house I'm trying to buy. Don't want to start spending money on random stuff I don't need until I'm sure I can fund it.

Top Bottom