Why do these Crank Mag Bearing cages crack?

So I pulled this crank to rebuild a motor, and noticed that the "Mag Bearing cage"? Is cracked.

This same thing happened to my 66V Crank, and in both cases the bearings are super smooth with no noise.

What's going on that's making these fall apart?

7196660b0eb381c3d5017a0086688779.jpg
d5fb0560923e4508c9090aeab975caf2.jpg

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
That looks like water intrusion damage to me. From what i see in the pics there is a lot pitting on the crank and the rust on the bearings i would say you are getting water in the motor.

That looks like water intrusion damage to me. From what i see in the pics there is a lot pitting on the crank and the rust on the bearings i would say you are getting water in the motor.
That pitting was from the timing cover leaking. The inside of the motor is clean, and the bearings roll really smooth with no noise.

What I want to know is why that ring in the mag bearing cracks. Does it happen to anyone else? I have 2 cranks that have good bearings and rods, but that cage is shot.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I wouldn't run one in my own ski. But I have pulled running skis apart with bearings that looked like that. They will last a while on a stock boat that doesn't turn super high RPMs.

I wouldn't run one in my own ski. But I have pulled running skis apart with bearings that looked like that. They will last a while on a stock boat that doesn't turn super high RPMs.
It looks like the bearings will bind up when they hit each other from not being retained. My 66V crank has the same problem, and I'm scared to run it that way.

If I didn't pull it apart to change crank seals, I would have never known.

For all I know it's common and not a problem, but common sense is telling me otherwise.

Blue

Judging your cheapness
The black plastic does act as a cage to seperate the balls. Its hard to say why they fail and crack. Could be heat, lubrication problems or the crank moving forward and backward as the bearings wear. I see this every so often even on clean looking oem cranks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The black plastic does act as a cage to seperate the balls. Its hard to say why they fail and crack. Could be heat, lubrication problems or the crank moving forward and backward as the bearings wear. I see this every so often even on clean looking oem cranks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info,

So basically, if this cage is gone or starting to break up. The crank is no longer safe to run correct?

Does this mean that it is caused by lack of lubrication on the mag bearing?
I never thought that it was adequately served by the stock oil passages. I extend the stock passage to assure the bearing hole is not covered and cut a channel to the front side with a 1/8" ball file.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
We did a similar trick to the Skidoo triple 800's. They would prematurely fail the PTO bearing as well unless you extended the oil passage.

I never thought that it was adequately served by the stock oil passages. I extend the stock passage to assure the bearing hole is not covered and cut a channel to the front side with a 1/8" ball file.
Please post up a photo of your case mod if you have one.

Top Bottom