Why don't I ever see dyno's?

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
With any other motorsport, I see dyno graphs. Making a sweet exhaust? They take an all stock setup and add the exhaust to see what it does and compare. Port work? Before and after flow rates [not doable with 2 strokes I know, but the difference in the powerband is certainly doable via dyno]. I think I've seen like 2-3 peak horsepower numbers thrown around, but I don't really care about just a peak number. So what gives?

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Brand New 2016 yamaha ski's dont even have official HP numbers posted under their engine specs...

It can't be any harder than dynoing a sled motor. Idk, a good many of the dyno numbers aren't legitimate anyway.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

while you could easily dyne the motor, it ouldnt mean jack poop. the second you put it in the water it will be different. too many variables to start labeling products. Water temp, carb tuning , pipe tuning, water box restriction size, flame arrestor type, salt or fresh water, how the ski is rode and the pump loaded, pump size, type and impeller pitch. etc.

Christian_83

Xscream
We are some of the most naive people, when it comes to paying ALOT of money for a product "A" that we are told are better than the competitors "B" without any real hard facts to back this up. We see a guy riding he's gear on a "A" setup, that seems to do better than another guy on "B". In this case there are 10x more variables, than if short block "A" and "B" was dyno'd on the same dyno.

I really think its because engine builders are to afraid that the numbers and curves they will put out, will no way near reach the hyped numbers. ex 200+ HP.
My opinion is off course you can use a dyno sheet, i really don't see why we have a lot more variables than other motor/power sports.
Dyno Short block "A" with same carbs/jetting, exhaust/Waterbox, ignition and curve and put the same load on the engine, you will get a curve and max HP/NM and have numbers to play with.
I really think we are the only people that pay this kind of money for a product we are told "A" to have xxxhp and so much better than "B", but really don't know if this is the case or the guys using the "A" is just that much better at tuning and tweaking the setup.
Try to tell another motorsport guy, that we pay 10-17.000usd for a engine setup we have seen no numbers on, but we are told they make xxx hp :)

most of the builders if not all but select few dont own a dyno thats y !their like 100 grand and cant afford to have one ! they dont make enough, not enough demand when only few people ride skies as a hole in the world!

Christian_83

Xscream
A dyno is not 100k, Come on. Alot Of Mx, kart and speedway mechanics have Their own dynos. Im not saying All engine builders should have one, but when paying 5-12k for s short block it would the the least to offer a dyno sheet og your Engine or one similiar?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
We are some of the most naive people, when it comes to paying ALOT of money for a product "A" that we are told are better than the competitors "B" without any real hard facts to back this up. We see a guy riding he's gear on a "A" setup, that seems to do better than another guy on "B". In this case there are 10x more variables, than if short block "A" and "B" was dyno'd on the same dyno.

I really think its because engine builders are to afraid that the numbers and curves they will put out, will no way near reach the hyped numbers. ex 200+ HP.
My opinion is off course you can use a dyno sheet, i really don't see why we have a lot more variables than other motor/power sports.
Dyno Short block "A" with same carbs/jetting, exhaust/Waterbox, ignition and curve and put the same load on the engine, you will get a curve and max HP/NM and have numbers to play with.
I really think we are the only people that pay this kind of money for a product we are told "A" to have xxxhp and so much better than "B", but really don't know if this is the case or the guys using the "A" is just that much better at tuning and tweaking the setup.
Try to tell another motorsport guy, that we pay 10-17.000usd for a engine setup we have seen no numbers on, but we are told they make xxx hp :)

Well, in a way it doesnt really matter. There have traditionally been only a few options, with very similar price tages, based on the same starting motor, and a debte on which is better becuse people cant tell the difference. And just like cars, the guys winning the races sell more, regardless of dyno numbers or the potential fact that thw rider makes the difference.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Also was thinking about billet gas caps and the like. Heavier, doesnt float, can corrode, annodizing can fade, but its better because it looks cool. Even if php put out the same exact dyno chart as xmetsl or dasa, people would still spend twice as much to get billet.

Christian_83

Xscream
Well there is alot Of options on Engines now, and i still Think a dyno could be Nice or at least fun to see to compare each engine
And again, a dyno isnt s space shuttle, i Think its a bit dumb that its secret what Numbers the Engines put out. And regarding the small amount of riders/Engines sold, i Think the Price Compensate for this.

There is no trusted independent third party willing to do testing for nothing. Buyers aren't interested enough to send their expensive engines to be tested. Whatever a seller says can never be trusted. Funny how 63hp Blasters went just as fast as 73hp models.

Christian_83

Xscream
Well im along with some friends are thinking about making a setup to put our Engines in a dyno to a speedway bike or kart dyno.
Another friend has a project running along hes Education, with making a dyno specific for our Engines. But its going to take i while i guess

Top Bottom