Why don't I ever see dyno's?

Warning this maybe long....

Dynos are awesome tools when comparing any modification to an engine. The one thing about freestyle watercraft engines is Peak HP isnt necessarily what were are concerned with. Rev rate and power at lower rpm is what needs to be considered. Not all engine dynos can consistently measure the rev rate or "time of test". Which is how fast the engine pulls through the set rpm parameters of the pull. A water brake dyno would be the most common because it is the cheapest way to put a load against an engine. However a water brake dyno doesnt normally apply the load consistent enough for a "time of test" measurement to mean anything. You would need either an inertia dyno or an eddy generator electric dyno. Now your getting more expesive. Even though these engines cost alot of money non of us engine builders are getting rich. They are expensive because manufacturing small quantities like this industry requires cost ALOT of money. So spending the 30k+(and i mean +) on the proper dyno to fully understand which engine suits our needs best would not make the best business sense.

Now to the part i may later regret. I have a dyno.........

That being said my dyno is a water brake dyno. The stand is homemade but the water brake and all the measuring components are by stuska. They are very well know for water brake dynos of all kinds. I use this dyno for racing engines of another platform. I have never even mounted a water craft engine to the stand(i could easily). I just hadnt before seen the need to do so for water craft as there are alot of variables that exist when the engine is in the water that even the very best dyno would not replicate.

IF AND ONLY if there was enough interest and a good amount of volunteers i would do a "dyno day" at one of the free rides. Best part of my dyno is its on wheels and could be moved anywhere. I have a small shop and needed this to be the case as i dont have the space to dedicate to just a dyno room. Volunteers would have to be willing to take full responsibility for any engines failures while on the dyno. I would bring a few engines to set as a bench mark and we could see who is king of the hill if we had enough volunteers....

Just food for thought

Chuck Palmucci
CPT Enterprise LLC
609 510 3062

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Start a go fund me account to pay a 3rd party dyno man for there time and I'll donate my motor for research as long as its.over winter

Bullett racing has a dyno to test their 1100 race ski builds here in havasu. I haven't seen it but they use it almost on a daily basis. We can hear them testing skis almost every day on it.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Read through @tntsuperjet threads from the last few months and he posts a bunch of dyno numbers. (spoiler no xscreem or dasa is making 200+ hp)

The "variables" excuse doesn't make any since. If you dyno an engine in or out of the water it will give you a baseline. From there you can use numbers/data to build around, choose impellers etc rather then going off what happens to be popular this season.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Read through @tntsuperjet threads from the last few months and he posts a bunch of dyno numbers. (spoiler no xscreem or dasa is making 200+ hp)

The "variables" excuse doesn't make any since. If you dyno an engine in or out of the water it will give you a baseline. From there you can use numbers/data to build around, choose impellers etc rather then going off what happens to be popular this season.
Builder A sets up a 1000cc motor on the dyno with brand x carbs with brand Z exhaust. He measures peak hp at 175hp. Now he sends this motor to Gus. Who uses brand BS carbs and brand Y exhaust. If he could dyno it it might only peak at 164hp due to change in setup. Also Gus wanted a ski that would back flip from a stand still. But because he did not set up the same he does not have a ski that will back flip from a stand still. What did that dyno do? Nothing. Just gave a point of reference. There are 900 cc motors that will back flip better than some 1100cc motors. They might even make more HP at 5000 rpm than the 1100 does. How does this matter? It may give the ski with the 900 the ability to flip better at a certain speed or of a setup wake better than the 1100 that has power that comes on later......

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Builder A sets up a 1000cc motor on the dyno with brand x carbs with brand Z exhaust. He measures peak hp at 175hp. Now he sends this motor to Gus. Who uses brand BS carbs and brand Y exhaust. If he could dyno it it might only peak at 164hp due to change in setup. Also Gus wanted a ski that would back flip from a stand still. But because he did not set up the same he does not have a ski that will back flip from a stand still. What did that dyno do? Nothing. Just gave a point of reference. There are 900 cc motors that will back flip better than some 1100cc motors. They might even make more HP at 5000 rpm than the 1100 does. How does this matter? It may give the ski with the 900 the ability to flip better at a certain speed or of a setup wake better than the 1100 that has power that comes on later......

Or builder A sends the engine with a printout showing the engine is capable of making X amount of HP/Torque at Y rpm's with Z setup. New owner takes that info to builder B and now Gus has a baseline to work with. Or maybe the rest of the motorsports haven't caught on that they don't need dynos...

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
basically we are not making the figures that people like to post around. I would doubt very much if any of the engines have made it to 200hp in the twin setup so far.
Tim tynan did some dyno runs and it showed that the most was about 170 hp and that was a tough engine.
yes our engines could be dynoed will every one be happy with the results not a chance

bored&stroked

Urban redneck
The variables excuse doesn't really fly with me either. Dyno's are mearly a baseline, a tool to start with. Yes, builder A can make his/her engine and dyno it to 200hp with certain parts, and that number can be far off once those parts are changed. EVERYONE knows that. When Headman makes a set of car headers and claim 30hp they say what setup they used to get that number. Everyone knows you change the heads, the cam, the compression, or any other variable the number changes. But it gives you a baseline to reference.
And yes puting the ski in the water, water temps, etc can also affect numbers. That isn't the point. I, along with lots of others, don't care about the actual numbers. Its how those numbers are applied to the impellor that concerns me. So what if pro rider dudes 1200 only makes 160hp. It still makes him do multible flatwater backflips and barrel rolls, and that's what we all want our engines to do. We don't need more if thats all it takes.

wow so many excuses. consumers repeating non sense they have been fed. nuklear6 way to step up. would be plenty of volunteers in to this. draw a big crowd to watch

reason it won't happen is a lot of industry motor guys are going to put pressure on you not to do it for obvious reasons et also has a dyno and has run a lot of motors and individual parts for gains

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
So what if pro rider dudes 1200 only makes 160hp. It still makes him do multible flatwater backflips and barrel rolls, and that's what we all want our engines to do. We don't need more if thats all it takes.
Totally agree with that statement
However people have been made to believe they have more. Its going to make them ask questions when they don't have what they think

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
And how is that any different than any other industry?

Every lifted diesel truck these days is running around with 500HP and 1000ft/lbs of torque aren't they?

it's not really the total hp or torque thats in question. doubt many care what the actual num is on any one motor. it's the compArison between diff motors of SIM cc using diff port timing and porting that would be interesting. if we just saw the torque curve with rpms listed. hp numbers could be not even listed. just a curve overlay of all motors tested

Top Bottom