Why don't I ever see dyno's?

I have done testing with smaller engines many years ago. It was interesting to see what port timings worked best with mufflers, open exhausts, and tuned pipes. We have a lot of open exhaust data from the development of outboard engines. There is also a lot of info for strictly tuned pipe applications from motorcycles. Basically piped engines need a higher exhaust port to get the most power. Engines without a pipe need lower exhaust ports. All of our PWC engines have "pipe" timing so they will make less power below the pipe and more power while the pipe is working. This is why having a good pipe is so important. Lower port engines wont get as much gain from a tuned pipe.

Probably wise of him to choose the triple to make the video about, partially because it probably gets used not so much like a freestyle ski so the Dyno results are more representative of actual use, and also because there are probably less people out there that will argue about the results. So here I am doing that lol, strange to me that is that much of an increase over stock at a lower rpm...evidently. I dunno. I'll be watching with great interest to hear more. Admire him for going as far as he has and putting it out there.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
It has nothing to do with being hard to do... everyone in the industry has pumped all of these crazy hp numbers into everyones heads in order to sell their product. They don't want to show the results and admit they aren't making the power everyone thought.
So true, What engine you running in your Suzuki Standup?

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
It has nothing to do with being hard to do... everyone in the industry has pumped all of these crazy hp numbers into everyones heads in order to sell their product. They don't want to show the results and admit they aren't making the power everyone thought.

From what I understand you can skew the output numbers easily with the “correction factor” so they could fluff it up however they want.

It’s probably a fun tool for back to back testing.

Nothing puts the power down like a jet pump to water. Maybe a rocket launching to space. But for traction vs hp/weight ratio. Not much can keep up with a jet pump/engine. Sitting in a seat. Allows you to lazy through power. Sit your fat ass through it. To measure a ski. You gotta get it to the PowerBar. And then rip it hard under load. Not something joe blownwith fat pockets can do. And joe blow jet ski rich dude. Just likes being sold on turf. And whatever new bs is out this yr for footholds. The real riders. Are talking to real tuners. Who haven't sold out. And aren't selling their secrets.

To answer our question. Onl fawking posers care about a dyno in ANY sort of powersport. It's put up or shut the fawk up for the real ones

I didn't read all 548 post but why wouldn't a flow meter hooked to the reduction nozzle be a good apple to apple comparison? Not sure if pressure would have to be read in the reduction nozzle or near the flow meter. Each and every part of the whole drive train could be compared. Every variable could be compared based on efficiency of throwing water out the back. Any insight is always appreciated.

PSIxGPM÷1714=HP

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I didn't read all 548 post but why wouldn't a flow meter hooked to the reduction nozzle be a good apple to apple comparison? Not sure if pressure would have to be read in the reduction nozzle or near the flow meter. Each and every part of the whole drive train could be compared. Every variable could be compared based on efficiency of throwing water out the back. Any insight is always appreciated.

PSIxGPM÷1714=HP
Back when test tanks were all the rage some of them had simple scales to measure thrust , of course there has never been a test tank made that actually worked because of the turbulence inside the tank causing cavitation of the pump but same as the dyno, it only gave you a baseline.

e

Our pumps act as water brakes, the key is matching the load to the pipes narrow power curve. One thing that I learned was that our pumps are okay with flow but dont like to make pressure. Larger nozzles will make more thrust without any increase in power. Smaller nozzles typically perform slightly better at high speeds but acceleration suffers noticeably. Static thrust is easy to measure but it usually goes flat before peak rpm is reached. Skis need some forward movent to completely feed the pump. For most riders there is much response and pull to be gained by simply using a large nozzle and low pitched prop.

From what I understand you can skew the output numbers easily with the “correction factor” so they could fluff it up however they want.

It’s probably a fun tool for back to back testing.
Yes the correction factor can always be manipulated, but if anyone uses correction higher then 1.15 they probab lie there numbers.

But you can always campare uncorrected numbers, they dont lie if the loadcell is calibrated.

HP = T * N / 5252

Where
T = Torque (lb-ft)
N = Speed (rpm)

This is uncorrected hp at the flywheel. Load cell has your torque and the tach has the speed.

Myself

manic mechanic
HHmmmm.......sounds a lot like the car audio amplifier wattage numbers these days. Everybody and their brother thinks they have a 5000w amp! And horsepower...........show me a dragstrip timeslip.......otherwise we're just talking smack!

Top Bottom