Super Jet Why is one of my RN's so much more unstable than the other??

I have two 96 RN's both setup almost identical. Extended hulls, tubbies, umi steering, same bars, ect. But one feels like I'm riding my old 650sx very unstable. It wants to tip over really easy. I noticed if I pushed on the back of the bad ski on the right side it would want to tip in the water really easy where my other one wouldn't. The only thing I can think of is the foam is all waterlogged on that side. But that's only a guess. Any ideas???

TOMtoledo

Tommy Meyers
That's does sound like a waterlogged foam, is the hull been reinforced? Mine have one gun wall reinforced so it sits a lil to the right

No the hull hasn't been reinforced. It just appears the right side is much less boyent then the left. It tilts alittle to the right like most rn but it will roll that right side under much easier than my other.

Be specific about your problem, "unstable" covers a lot of ground.

As I stated above if you push down on the right side of the ski you can almost get it to roll over in the water without much effort. Trying the same thing on my other ski it just sinks down alittle bit. But float the same on the water just this one is much more tippy than the other.

If you suspect water under the tray then get a NO.50 drill and do some prospecting. A small cheap diaphragm air compressor will vacuum out all the moisture over a few days.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
If you suspect water under the tray then get a NO.50 drill and do some prospecting. A small cheap diaphragm air compressor will vacuum out all the moisture over a few days.

Can you expand on that? I've never heard of this as a solution to wet foam. And it sounds like it would be a whole lot less painfull than defoaming. Thanks

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
You can drill a small hole in that back of your ski and tilt it to see if water comes out. Or you can use a vacuum type tool to suck all the water out of the tray and dry of your foam out. Seal back up and brap

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Are you talking about while riding it is more unstable???? Why would you push down on the ski while riding?

Who installed the tubbies? Are they the same versions? one ski could have them installed higher than the others or one could have one side installed higher (or lower) than the other side causing ill handling.

Last edited:
Are you talking about while riding it is more unstable???? Why would you push down on the ski while riding?

Who installed the tubbies? Are they the same versions? one ski could have them installed higher than the others or one could have one side installed higher (or lower) than the other side causing ill handling.

Well it is more unstable while riding. Feels like im riding my old 650sx instead of a rn. When im pushing down on the ski it is floating not being riden. Derrick at the ski clinic installed the tubbies, both are at the same height. One ski has blowsions tubbies 2 race editions and the other has the ski clincs in house tubbies. Similar in design. But I had Derrick put the tubbies on the other ski because it used to have the old r&d side sponssons and that is what i figured was the reason for the stability issues. It is difficult to get out of the no wake zone without tipping over. And while riding it rolls into the water very easy. It feels like a completley diffrent hull design than my other rn.

There you go. I would say the Ski Clinic sponsons are the culprit.

I had this same problem before I had the ski clinic sponsons put on. I was hoping they would cure the problem.

And I wish i could blame it on a few extra cold ones but no such luck there either.

So if the foam is soaked it can be salvaged by drilling a hole, draining it and using diaphragm air compressor will vacuum out all the moisture over a few days. I always thought it had to be refoamed

check your motor mounts, if one side is broken free, then the torque of the motor may cause the ski to heal over.

Just rebuilt the motor and I checked the mounts over before it went back in.

If i stop drinking though riding might not be as exciting

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
That's does sound like a waterlogged foam, is the hull been reinforced? Mine have one gun wall reinforced so it sits a lil to the right

Actually, its reinforced on the left side of your hull. I BR to the right, so I land it on the left side. When I put the foot holds in that hull(in your avatar) I reinforced the outer left(port) side wall for 3/4 BR slaps.
Now you know the rest of the story! :beerchug: Take care and have a great summer!

Actually, its reinforced on the left side of your hull. I BR to the right, so I land it on the left side. When I put the foot holds in that hull(in your avatar) I reinforced the outer left(port) side wall for 3/4 BR slaps.
Now you know the rest of the story! :beerchug: Take care and have a great summer!
Well that solves some questions for TOMtoledo. How about my hull. I think someone just needs to sell me a 08 or newer and ill be done with it

Top Bottom