Winter Storage.

I live in Colorado. This time of year it's very cold. I have my ski in my garage. The garage is not heated, but it rarely gets below 32 degrees in there ever. It is usually around 39-45 in there in these chilly months.

Do I need to do anything in particular to keep a healthy ski in these conditions? The lines do not have water in them, and the battery is in the house.

If I start it like once or twice a week, will that be sufficient?

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Dude its not a child lmao. I think somebody else put up something like this and got a lot of chit. Dont sweat it glad you care for it rather than not. To answer your question tho you should get rid of any gas or water in the carbs or engine. Dry out hull so not rust happens on any of your internals. Spray silicone protector over the parts that could rust just to maintain in good Condition. And put stabilizer in fuel tank or if tank is empty that's even better. Charge battery full and try to store in warmer place if you can

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Everything mike said.. You can also fog the engine. Don't start the engine weekly, this can build moisture inside the engine. You either want your fuel tank full or empty, anywhere between can cause the tank to collect moisture. I never drain my carbs. I just run no ethanol fuel/sta-bil/b-12 in the tank before I put the ski away. That method has work for 7 years now with no issues.

think I'm gonna put fuel stabilizer in the full tank tomorrow , and then run her on the hose for a couple minutes. then clear the water, put fogging oil in carb and cylinders tun possibly remove water box. sound better?

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Sounds good. Waterbox can be a real pain to remove in cold weather, I wouldn't bother with it, you can blow a fan up the exhaust tube if you want to try and dry it out.

I've always just got water out by starting it, a little premix down cylinders, drain gas and soaked her down with wd40. Same garage temps as you(I'm in fortcollins), no issues, I do make hot coco for it on the really cold days not sure if that helps or not

Last edited:

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I've always just got water out by starting it, a little premix down cylinders, drain gas and soaked her down with wd40. Same garage temps as you(I'm in fortcollins), no issues, I do make hot coco for it on the really cold days not sure if that helps or not

Depending what waterbox you have, starting it doesnt get all the water out, but i wouldn't worry to much about it. Fogging oil is much better to use then pre-mix oil. wd-40 is hard on plastic and rubber. Best to use a boat engine protect spray or a heavy-duty silicone spray.

Depending what waterbox you have, starting it doesnt get all the water out, but i wouldn't worry to much about it. Fogging oil is much better to use then pre-mix oil. wd-40 is hard on plastic and rubber. Best to use a boat engine protect spray or a heavy-duty silicone spray.
Have never worried about water box, stock or aftermarket, I seem to never have fogging oil but always plenty of premix and wd40 is harsh but is a great degreaser and rust inhibitor. Wd= water displacement

I don't have any input other than that you should watch the Colorado riders section and try and make it to one of our outings this next summer. Usually someone is at boyd every single weekend and last year we had 3 big organized meet ups. The smallest of those three had (correct me if im wrong guys) 15 stand ups and that was in the middle of November! We've got a great group of riders in this state. Some of us will be out opening weekend so get a wet suit and join us.

This might sound silly, but would it help if i put blankets around the motor and under the hood?
No. This will do nothing other than keep dust off it. The motor generates no heat when it's off so insulation will do nothing to keep it above garage temperature.

If you are worried about water line freezing you can buy marine bio degradable anti freeze and fill the motor with it. My ski lived outside in the winter under a cover with no Ill effects

dang so u mean my skis crib and special blanky on my engine isnt going to turn it into a dvx with a 1000cc engine :(

lol, my ski lives on the trailer under a cover. all i do is run the carbs dry an fog the cyl

Fro Diesel

creative control
I would avoid fuel stabilize. Maybe put some in and get 8t running theough the carbs. But it doesnt make gas last longer. I still dump all my old two stroke gas through my car diluted. And i always treat ethanol gas with startron.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I disagree. I never run ethanol fuel in anything, it's junk, gums up carbs, etc. I have had fuel sit in a atv for well over a year, had sta-bil in the tank when it was put it away. Started right up when I needed it, have never had to clean the carb on that atv. I don't think that would be the case if i had used un-treated fuel.

Top Bottom