300/440/550 X2 Freestyle Trim

Legdragger

Bringing it back
Here is a picture of the trim I use on my X2. I can't do much without it. I made it from a Dirt Harry bike lever, bicycle cable, a hacked stock trim mechanism and a home made bracket to hold the cable housing at the bottem.

060407010.jpg

When I have the cable adjusted properly I get about 30 degrees of UP nozzle.

I use it for making big setup waves, hood starts, stabs and rolls on flatwater and rolls in surf when I am hitting the wave when it is jst a roller in deeper water if it is small. It is also killer for surf riding/carving faces and re-entering.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
So does the nozzle sit at the lower position (all the way down) when the lever is untouched and then tilts all the way up when you pull the lever?

Got more pictures of the cable where it attaches to the stock trim adjuster? How does it hold to it?

Also, what is the best angle to keep the stock trim at for now?(until I get around to do something like you did) Up/Neutral/Down 1 or Down2?

Legdragger

Bringing it back
Flash:
Long story short I might have someone that wants to make on for me but I'm not holding my breath. If he does get inspiration it will be way cooler that I could ever make it. And I went snowmobiling way to much this winter to get anything productive done...............I have to have a lightweight hull some day so it will be done one way or another......even if I have to live in the shop for 3 months.

Dude:
My Nozzle sits at 0 degrees. If you have a full legnth hull and or a 650 motor you might want it to have a 5 degree up when surf riding and 10 or even 20 up for flatwater. I will try to get another picture but I just drilled and tapped the circular thing for a 6mm bolt and use two nuts to pinch the cable. Pretty basic. It allows the bolt to rotate when I pull the trim for less resistance. The stainless think is a pain to tap out but it is fairly thin so if you are careful you won't break the tap.

Last edited:

BlueBreadTruck

X-2? Yes please
I have to make something like that......Im tired of my stock style trim. Guess i should see if i can setup my welder to weld stainless or aluminum.

Tell me, do you grab it when your on the way up a wave? how much does it really affect how it flys? I usually just keep my trim a notch above level.

Also, how does that hood air intake work? I will post some pics, i am doing a similar setup....the intake behind the seat DID NOT work for me....it pours water in when i remount..

Im going to post a thread about my build.....right now im doing a bunch of things.

Legdragger

Bringing it back
It is wicked easy to make. The only thing I couldn'd get done in one night is the little 90 bracket. The rest is a $25 trip to the bike shop for a lever and cable then I just cut a bunch of extra off the stock trim thing with the sawzall and lastly drilled a hole in the round stainless thing that actuates the stock cable. It pretty much is the only way to get an X2 airborn in a lake.

I recently discovered that if I spray graphite down the cable housing it makes the lever ten times easier to pull even under power.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
It is wicked easy to make. The only thing I couldn'd get done in one night is the little 90 bracket. The rest is a $25 trip to the bike shop for a lever and cable then I just cut a bunch of extra off the stock trim thing with the sawzall and lastly drilled a hole in the round stainless thing that actuates the stock cable. It pretty much is the only way to get an X2 airborn in a lake.

I recently discovered that if I spray graphite down the cable housing it makes the lever ten times easier to pull even under power.

OK OK you got me convinced. I already have the lever and cable from left over dirt bike parts. On the next rainny day I will attempt this mod. I'll keep you posted. And the Graphite trick is worth the try. Will do.

If you take apart the trim nozzle and flip it 180 degrees you can then eliminate all the hardware and just use a straight cable and lever. You can either feed teh cable through the (overflow) waterline that sits under the cooling waterline in the pump section or you can go out the stock trim cable line and feed the cable to the other side of the pump.

I did mine this way and it works well. I just need to make a better bracket for my cable to eliminate the slop.

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
2 more questions: - Is the lever or cable spring loaded so it goes back down when released?

- And what are the parts that need to be cut off.....I heard sawzall at some point.

Legdragger

Bringing it back
2 more questions: - Is the lever or cable spring loaded so it goes back down when released?

- And what are the parts that need to be cut off.....I heard sawzall at some point.

Take your trim knob thing apart and then look at where mine was. You will see a lot is missing on mine.

I don't use a spring. It returns on its own when you are riding. I tried to keep it simple.

Project Ski: Do you have any pictures of yours? How much nozzle angle do you get? I used a cheap angle finder level to determine mine.

mine doesnt have a spring either. Pete, not sure on teh angle. Its not far from what you get by the looks of it. Ill take pics and see if i can measure the angle some how.

...and cable then I just cut a bunch of extra off the stock trim thing with the sawzall and lastly drilled a hole in the round stainless thing that actuates the stock cable.

I am currently using your pictures as a "diagram", if you will, to customize my trim. I am looking at this thread and I am getting confused at this point^^^. I have the round stainless part drilled and set up, but I am confused as to what you cut off with the sawzall. I noticed that you cut that back of the ski and ride plate off about 2 inches, is this what you are talking about or did you trim something else off in order to get the nossle up to that angle? Also does your nossle go to (-) degrees (point down)? or does it just go to level when you are riding?

Thanks for the advice in advance
~Marsh

nice and simple setup Pete,looks like it works too.:sly:

Project jetski,anxiuos to see pics of your setup.:popcorn4:

stuff like this keep the x-2's alive!

Legdragger

Bringing it back
The trim unit that is bolted to the top deck that originally had the spring loaded button that yu grabbed to set the trim is what gets sawed. It has some extra junk hanging off it that looks like crap so I hacked it. It might also interfere with the bolt that holds the cable. You need to take the nut withthe cotter pin ot to disassemble it for easy access.

Same idea with mine...I can't seem to get enough pull to give me the tilt I want. I mopved the pull point closer to the center but still not enough and... Since I moved my pump back 2" the steering cable restricts the movement.

Attachments

• IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_2186.JPG
    IMG_2186.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 635

#ZERO

Beach Bum
Maekawa Engineering has a nice looking setup for the X-2 trim.

Attachments

• X2 Trim.jpg
    X2 Trim.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 655
Top Bottom