650/X-2 X2 wouldn't shut-down!!!!!!!

After riding today my dual carb 1989 x2 was on the trailer, i started it to blow out the water and it took off, full throttle. I pulled the plug wires, nothing, pulled the gas lines, nothing. Finally pulled the spark arrester off and put my hands over the carbs and it finally shut down. What happened???????

After riding today my dual carb 1989 x2 was on the trailer, i started it to blow out the water and it took off, full throttle. I pulled the plug wires, nothing, pulled the gas lines, nothing. Finally pulled the spark arrester off and put my hands over the carbs and it finally shut down. What happened???????

yeah it could be that too, pretty much anywhere air can get in between the throttle plate in the carbs and combustion will cause it. i was just listing the most common places for me from zip ties or nuts loosening.

How long was it running out of the water? This is a common occurance at the local boat launch. People let them idle with no water(coolant) running thru the motor, everything heats-up and the throttle goes wide open all by itself. Basically the heat in the cylinders/heat causes the ski to run as if it were a diesel motor, that is thru heat and compression. You probably just ran it too long and unfortunately found out that the only way to kill it is to choke it out just as you did. Hope you didn't do any permenant damage.

Dan

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
Pull the throttle wide open and It'll kill it next time.

You should do a leak test on the motor. a run away like that is usually a sign of an air leak.

I had a 1/2 a tank left. Yes a have a primmer, but how did it keep running???

he is saying that if you have a primer you can stop a runaway engine with it by pumping it (flooding the engine basically).

you definitely have an air leak check things in this order:

1. loose carb stud nuts and intake manifold bolts
2. pulse line and fuel line hoses/clamps
3. check crank seals and base/head gaskets on engine with leakdown test.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I bought my leak down test kit from watcon.com

I don't see it on his sight now but I bet he could still get you one if you don't want to build one yourself.

Top Bottom