03 RN Re-Build

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Not so much as a re-build but more of a refoam and clean up job.

I had a build thread at pwctoday but I don't use that site anymore. Figured I would start a build thread here.

Here is a pic of the way my ski looked in daytona.

It has been getting a little on the heavy side(350) so i decided it was time for a polystyrene refoam with drain plugs. I have been trying rolls and make more of them 75% of the way around than 100%, so i will do some light reinforcement in the rear as well while its opened up. I also plan on installing a pwcdoctor versiplug max and doing my best at sealing all the points in the tray that leaked water.

I got a new hood kit from Tom21 so far and some other parts on the way soon.

In the one pic I tried to show the water that was coming out of the foam when we pushed on it. It was a little wet back there. Had about a half inch of water on either side of the tray once we got the foam out of the way.

That's it for now. I'll have some more updates once I get some fiberglass supplies together.

Attachments

• DSCF0069.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF0084.jpg
    DSCF0084.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCF0066.jpg
    DSCF0066.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 334
  • DSCF0085.jpg
    DSCF0085.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCF0086.jpg
    DSCF0086.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 431
  • DSCF0087.jpg
    DSCF0087.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCF0088.jpg
    DSCF0088.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 418
  • DSCF0089.jpg
    DSCF0089.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Yes it is a tom21 hood. It is a bit lighter than the WDK and the hood seal area where the liner meets the outside is built WAY better. I believe he built the hood by using a stock hood and altering it a bunch. It seems like a very nice hood I can't wait to test it out. Considering i make 2 out of 10 rolls all the way around I should be a good test dummy.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I paid 400 and picked it up in daytona. I think he charges more for handholds though.

Got my fiberglass supplies today so I will start some light reinforcement tomorow after work/school.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Reinforced the rear on both sides today. Painted a light layer of black pigmented resin on the engine bay reinforcement too.

Attachments

• laying glass (2).jpg
    laying glass (2).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 337
  • laying glass (9).jpg
    laying glass (9).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 339
  • laying glass (8).jpg
    laying glass (8).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 335
  • laying glass (4).jpg
    laying glass (4).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 375
Think that hoods convinced me to fill my right handhold. I really like that clean look. Reinforcing looks good. Are you doing the bottom too? I just did the sides when I did styrene

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Nah only the sides. the front was already done. I just did some REALLY thin carbon in a 5 inch or so strip then some 8 oz S glass over the whole thing. JUst a little piece of mind since i'm not using any pour foam.

Nah only the sides. the front was already done. I just did some REALLY thin carbon in a 5 inch or so strip then some 8 oz S glass over the whole thing. JUst a little piece of mind since i'm not using any pour foam.

I didn't use any pour foam either, just 2 layers of 8oz on the sides, packed the polystyrene in as tight as possible, and sealed it up w/ plugs. I'm a little worried about strength but it's no different then the engine compartment I guess.

Looks good though

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I didn't use any pour foam either, just 2 layers of 8oz on the sides, packed the polystyrene in as tight as possible, and sealed it up w/ plugs. I'm a little worried about strength but it's no different then the engine compartment I guess.

Looks good though

If i blow the hull apart its just a reason for me to buy something better i guess. at least thats what im going with for now.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
got the scupper tube in there today. Drain plugs also. wet sanded and polished the hood yesterday. Unfortunately i won't be able to do any more work for 3 weeks. I wish i had the time to get this tray buttoned back up already.

Attachments

• polished hood-scupper-drains.jpg
    polished hood-scupper-drains.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 291
  • polished hood-scupper-drains (4).jpg
    polished hood-scupper-drains (4).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 314
  • polished hood-scupper-drains (15).jpg
    polished hood-scupper-drains (15).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 330
  • polished hood-scupper-drains (8).jpg
    polished hood-scupper-drains (8).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 335
  • polished hood-scupper-drains (9).jpg
    polished hood-scupper-drains (9).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 342

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Those pwcdoctor drains are nice. I picked up the small one for the blaster. I really need to clean my engine bay too... its filthy.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
one of the guys in our group put them on a blaster and they work well. I have not tried the big one yet but as you can see in the pic its the same deal just bigger.

they seem pretty foolproof. I bet a ziptie or a bolt would fit out the big one no problem. I could see zipties getting stuck in the small one though.

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
So whats the word on those PWCdoctor drains?? They worth the money?

I already have an old scupper tube in my ski..was just blocked off by previous owner. Could easily open it back up.

I have used one for 2 seasons. So far I'd say it's fool proof. It probably doesn't flow as much as a flapper-scupper but it is leak proof and hard to destroy. The opening behind the ball is about 1" so that's why it flows a bit less.

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
got the scupper tube in there today. Drain plugs also. wet sanded and polished the hood yesterday. Unfortunately i won't be able to do any more work for 3 weeks. I wish i had the time to get this tray buttoned back up already.

I feel ya! Seems like we got the same plans for this winter...
Where did you get those drain plugs? Home made? Looks cool.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
I feel ya! Seems like we got the same plans for this winter...
Where did you get those drain plugs? Home made? Looks cool.

drain plugs i got from mcmaster carr. they are stainless steel. I didn't trust brass as i ride only saltwater.

4464K261
4463K561
4464K251

I got hex plugs and allen head plugs.

Last edited:

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
did some work today.

got the pwcdoctor drain fitted.
Bored Nozzle installed. 85.5 mm
Painted the bottom with some satin black krylon(expensive paint job) 3.99 per can.
cleaned the engine bay and put on Coldfusion couplers.
Refoamed with polystyrene. Used a sheetrock knife to cut it out, made a big mess in the garage and that crap smells like feet when its cut.
Put Reed stuffers in too.
Installed hood hooks.

Got a lot done today and didn't plan on working on the ski until the first weekend in march. im doing good now, ahead of schedule.
Just need to get one of those adjustable xmetal poles and ill be happy.

Attachments

• refoamed.jpg
    refoamed.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 394
  • refoamed (2).jpg
    refoamed (2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 384
  • refoamed (3).jpg
    refoamed (3).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 387
  • refoamed (4).jpg
    refoamed (4).jpg