2012 Last year for the stand up jet skis?

Its been said this is the last year for the SJ.....Thats what my Yamaha rep said anyway.....Next year will be a comp only ski....However this was before this article came out.. so well see.

Sucks though...end of an erra.... thats pretty big.

I know there a bunch of other options avilable... trinity with xscrem etc....but for those of us that cant afford that....kinda sucks.

On the up side...should drive resale up.

3rdgearpinned

hold my beer, watch this
I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.

Food for thought; Nearly all dirt bikes sold do not meet EPA standards, they are sold as "closed course race bikes." Since 2005 it has been this way. CRF's, RMZ's, YZF's, SXF's, SX's, YZ's, CR's, RM's bascially any motocross bike does not meet EPA requirements but can be bought anywhere because they are for the "closed course race track" and no one slap's a spark arrestor on them and takes them onto public land :smoker: and I'm sure no non-racer would ride a 2013 superjet on public water ways. :naughty:

if they are banning 2 strokes then why dont they ban lawn mowers as well.. if anything they might end up doing the whole red sticker green sticker thing like they do with dirt bikes

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
As long as two stroke oil is available I will be running two strokes, if at some point I forsee it no longer being available I will buy a lifetime supply and store it at my facility for my own personal use.

I'm not so sure that your "facilities" are the best place for storing a lifetime supply of 2-stroke. For starters, there is the issue of space. And it is combustable, so that might be a bad combination. Most importantly, it's a lubricant. We all know what people will think when they spot your stash of "stroke lube" in there.

Attachments

• Outhouse.jpg
    Outhouse.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
Until they can come up with another power plant for small engines, like chainsaws, 2-stroke engines will never completely go away and thus neither will the oil.

2 stroke ban

You will be able to operate your 2 stroke equipment regardless of the type or application, until it won't run any more. The EPA can't outlaw old two stroke pwc's anymore than they can ban your 66 Mustang that don't have modern pollution equipment on it. My grandchildren will ride two stroke standups, I assure you. ( This is very far in the future, I pray ) The issue at hand is after the new regulations become the law of the land, there will be a finite number of motors, (& hulls) once gone, will be gone for good. This along with crazy high parts prices. Whether the market is big enough for A/M companies to keep them alive is the real mystery here. Only time will tell. My worry is when the old 2 strokes get hard to find, they will become much more expensive. Good if you're selling, bad if you're buying.:soapbox:

If Yamaha and Kawasaki were really worried about keeping these skis on the water, they would make them direct injection. Ski-Doo has already put two stroke DI motors in some sleds to keep them on the snow. And believe it or not, emissions from two stroke DI motors are lower than the current four strokes. I personally ride a four-stroke snowmobile and love the power, but it does make something light, heavier.

Personally I don't see production stand ups being that big of a deal to manufacturers. If it was, they would be talking about DI motors and how the emissions are so low. I think that Yamaha and Kawasaki are using this as an excuse to drop the line. They know that anyone serious builds their own skis and the stand up will live on forever, but they don't sell enough to make them important.

Bottom line, two stroke motors will be around for a long long time. And so will stand up skis.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet.

Food for thought; Nearly all dirt bikes sold do not meet EPA standards, they are sold as "closed course race bikes." Since 2005 it has been this way. CRF's, RMZ's, YZF's, SXF's, SX's, YZ's, CR's, RM's bascially any motocross bike does not meet EPA requirements but can be bought anywhere because they are for the "closed course race track" and no one slap's a spark arrestor on them and takes them onto public land :smoker: and I'm sure no non-racer would ride a 2013 superjet on public water ways. :naughty:
im with this dude, and if they do stop, ill go to canada and buy a 2013 superjet

Good look coming to Canada to buy one... they're definitely not big sellers around here. I'm usually the only stand-up on the lake when I go ride and look around for a used ski and there's all of 3 or 4 for sale in the whole province

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Of course they're going to get grandfathered in. Can't imagine why you'd think they wouldn't.

The only thing 2-strokers would have to worry about is certain lakes banning them. I'd bet they couldn't ban them on a national level.

Really? Your forgetting about the OBAMA administration currently running the show, and his followers. I agree with you but while this guy is the Pres, anything can happen.

X2Pilot

X2 v2.0
I believe that 2010 is the last year of the stand up to be sold to the "public", due to the epa marine engine ruling. There will be 2 strokes sold, like the Evinrude e-tech, as it is compliant to the rules, but thats got nothing to do with stand ups. Who ever said that they wont ban 2 strokes should live here in Las Vegas, where the two stroke ban was decided more than 10 years ago. December 31st, 2012, ALL 2 strokes, whether in a PWC or a boat will be banned from the Lake Mead National Recreation Area (LMNRA) which includes Lake Mead, Lake Mojave, the Colorado river between the two lakes and the river below Davis Dam to the first highway bridge. What most people fail to realize about that specific ruling is that in that ruling there is a statement that if ANY manufacturer is selling any 2 strokes on 12/31/12, that ALL PWC will be banned from the LMNRA. Great, huh? The reason they did that is because they do not want the hassle and added cost of inspecting every PWC that comes through the gates for compliance, which is a joke anyway because they would have to do that no matter what.
2 strokes have been banned from the Grand Canyon National park, the Virgin River affluence, Grand Wash bay, Bonelli Bay, the Gypsum ledges and many other places for more than 10 years. We used to be able to ride up the Colorado into the Grand Canyon but got kicked out a long time ago. This is a trend that is gaining momentum and may come to a waterway near you soon too. Dont think it wont happen! We never thought that our lake would be taken, BUT ITS HAPPENING! And it may happen to YOU too. After 12/31/12 we have no place to ride unless we drive all the way to Havasu 2 1/2 hours away...so much for a nice afternoon ride.
If you are not an AWA member then you should be. They are the only ones fighting for your right to ride and if not for them the greenies would be taking your riding places RIGHT NOW. Join now or dont cry when the ban hammer falls!!
This is also another reason why you should be riding responsibly!! Stop acting like a s s holes on the water, obey the rules of the waterway, stay away from swimmers, fishermen and the like. Keep away from boats that dont want you near them jumping their wakes. Stop fueling while on the water BE RESPONSIBLE. One jack a s s on a ski can ruin it for all of us.
DONT THINK IT WONT HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

Top Bottom