2015 Spring Carolina Beach Freeride Discussion Thread!

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Ashby.... everyone, we cannot do this anymore. Please listen I've been arguing these points with town council and I'm tired of it. They are only allowing 95 campsites for the entire length of Freeman Park! They are evenly spaced across a 2 mile stretch! We would be all spaced out along the entire freaking island! Camp over there if you would like I don't care. Yall don't understand there are going to be several boats just sitting there including mine all day if you need ANYTHING from the ramp which is less than 5 MINUTES away. You can drive my boat all day just put some damn gas in it! And then on top of that there will be a taxi pontoon sitting at the ramp all day long waiting for your phone call to get your gear to and or from the island on Friday through Sunday. I'm tired of having to explain this so I'm going to write a thesis length post very soon and post it on the main threads page.

Or just come in October when it's at Freeman Park I don't care. The spring ride is obviously going to be a more dedicated event with serious freeriders that are ok with REAL camping, no vehicles. But oceanfront camping right in front of the surf! Only 2 days of it comon! Were going to have electricity all weekend, camping showers, camping toilets, anything you want jesus.

It's either no spring freeride or a smaller freeride involving REAL camping with dedicated riders.

Oh and that "remote" island your speaking about is like 300 yards away from Freeman Park. Were not camping in the middle of the pacific like Cast Away. You gotta go take a dump? Take your ski over to the porta potties and dump away!

END RANT

Last edited:

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
This is supposed to be fun don't stress it man I was just asking the question, I didn't know we could still setup gear like always have

And wtf only 90 campsites, for real? That's a campsite every 120ft ridiculous. Surly they arnt spaced out like that

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Sorry didn't mean to call you out the whole situation this week has had me a little stressed. Yea you can still setup gear but like said before have to bring it all back to your campsites by 11pm.

At the town meeting I attended they intend to mark off each campsite with stakes and ropes in a cubic format 30x60 feet or something of that nature and mark each site with a sign that says Campsite 1 and so on.

How is the weather during the weekend of March 20 2015 ????? that is the weekend BEFORE the yearly regulations take effect and the only way we could possibly pull of the ''old style'' freeride on the inlet where we all gather in one spot like we always did before ..... if its no different than Daytona in January .. I say Double up on your pantie suits and hit it early :) That being said Im still in for Scotts NEW Masonboro ride too as long as we can get Wilky and Demitre bring that Kamado grill smoker , It will be a good time im sure ! Ribs Please !

naticen

Site Supporter
Riding in the cold and going back to a warm hotel is one thing. Camping is a little more extreme. So is staying on an island and splitting your head open and boating to a car to drive and get fixed up. I'm local and riding every weekend no matter what though so I don't have a big opinion on any of it

BlasterDisaster

Back Flips & Barrel Rolls
How many tents/people per campsite? Has the town been open to the idea of increasing that number, if necessary, for a planned event? Perhaps extending a campsite to accommodate 50 tents or so? If they will benefit financially, they would be more likely to accommodate the event. I wonder what the other event planners are doing to overcome this obstacle. Remember the annual music festival out there with the huge stage/dome? Maybe talk to them?

Realistically, the Freeride could still be exactly the same as every other year except that the daytime ez-up tents would have to come down by 11pm and all the crap would to be relocated to the tent location 1xx yards away. Sleep and party at the dunes all night.... Wake up and setup the day spot at the inlet before the fisherman get out there. Doesn't seem like that would be a deal breaker unless the campsites were limited to an absurdly low number of tents. Most skis are transported out there by truck anyway.... After you get done riding, toss your ski in your truck and it can sleep there for the night after driving back to your tent. Just an idea....

Camping on mase is fun, but it sounds like a logistics nightmare that would only be convenient for draw a group of single guys. Their were quite a bit of families last spring... It would be a shame to lose their attendance.

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Do you happen to know how many tents per site? Sounds like a xh2o sell out might be apon us.
They only allow TWO tents per campsite... I've asked the mayor and town manager on several occasions and the following attached text is my last email to the Mayor after the town meeting and was also my final attempt at asking for special provisions to keep the spring event going at Freeman Park.

Mayor Wilcox,

I am getting ready to finalize our transition away from Freeman Park for our spring event and inform our participants but before I did that I wanted to ask you a couple questions.

Will it do any good at all to write Mr. Cramer asking again for a single weekend for our event out at Freeman Park in late April or early May or are there going to be absolutely no exceptions? When we camped there the first weekend of May last year we were almost the only people out there and if we moved it to late April there is definitely almost no one out there and we would like to bring the town some money since no one will be there anyway... We will do almost anything he asks, pay additional money, do a walk and clean the entire park, etc etc. Let me know if I'm wasting my time. Feel free to forward this to him if you want.

Thank you, Scott.

Mayor: It may be possible to get some type of event permit, although that would eventually have to come to council. But I don't think there is any possibility of modifying the camping situation. Once its ordinance, neither the manager or council can make an exception. I'm sorry for this, and sorry to lose you group...

Me: Ok thank you for your time, that's all I needed to know. Will be back down there in October at least we can keep it going then.

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
How is the weather during the weekend of March 20 2015 ????? that is the weekend BEFORE the yearly regulations take effect and the only way we could possibly pull of the ''old style'' freeride on the inlet where we all gather in one spot like we always did before ..... if its no different than Daytona in January .. I say Double up on your pantie suits and hit it early :) That being said Im still in for Scotts NEW Masonboro ride too as long as we can get Wilky and Demitre bring that Kamado grill smoker , It will be a good time im sure ! Ribs Please !

Here is the weather almanac for last year in March. The last 2 weekends of the month highs ranged in the 50's to 60's and lows were in the 30's to 40's. Water temps would average around the mid 50's. Cold...

http://www.wunderground.com/history...ory.html?req_city=Carolina Beach&req_state=NC

BlasterDisaster

What about contacting some other area beaches to see if it would be possible to duplicate the Daytona freeride on a smaller scale using a local hotel? Their is a hotel on the south end of oak island with a boat ramp, dock, fuel, bar/restaurant... or if nc's law about launching off the beach is the killer, have you considered a South Carolina beach? I'm sure if it would be legal down there, a hotel would love the business in their off season.

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
What about contacting some other area beaches to see if it would be possible to duplicate the Daytona freeride on a smaller scale using a local hotel? Their is a hotel on the south end of oak island with a boat ramp, dock, fuel, bar/restaurant... or if nc's law about launching off the beach is the killer, have you considered a South Carolina beach? I'm sure if it would be legal down there, a hotel would love the business in their off season.
Launching off the beach and riding within 100 yards is the killer for that idea. Which is the only reason why the Daytona Freeride is even possible because they simply do not have that law.

I have no desire to move this event to South Carolina lol and have no clue if they have that law or not. It will continue as normal in the fall and we will have a probably smaller more unique and fun camping experience freeride at Masonboro in the spring.

BlasterDisaster

gotcha.... well that's a real bummer but dropping it down to 1 smaller camping/ride and 1 mainstream ride a year should get more people involved in the fall since the crowd won't be divided between 2 events..... and that would give more time for sponsors to donate raffle items and such... At least some good might come from this...

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Yep that was exactly what I was thinking. It's definitely beneficial to just do one raffle in the fall and I can gather alot more raffle items. And I think we will have a much larger crowd in the fall too. Still planning on designing individual t-shirts for the spring and fall rides. Will probably have smaller orders though.

Im going to still try to make it.... Whats the norm weather for this weekend so we can pack accordingly. Prob going to be me without the girl. She don't like the idea of primitive camping.

Also, since the camping is on the island and boat ramp is parking, we can have trailers as well right?

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
High's in the upper 70's, low's mid 60's. Water temp around 70 degrees. Trailers would be the preferred method in the spring since you have to ride your ski over from the ramp.

Top Bottom