550sx to 750 "All or Nothing" build

Myself

manic mechanic
I have made some screwups over the years , especially when I firrst started out spraying white,........
For anybody that doesn't know......white is VERY hard to spray. It's so bright and reflective that as soon as the primer is covered you can't see what you're doing. You literally have to guess with your hand movements and trigger feel on the paint gun, how the paint is flowing and laying out. I also found turning OFF the shop lights and watching the light glare come in from the open door allows SOME view of the wet spray layout.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
White is the hardest paint to spray because it has the least pigment of any paint , this lack of pigmentation causes the paint to not bond as tightly , which is why white is easy to run , it is also the cheapest color again because it has less pigment which reduces the cost to make it , which is why you see it on fleet vehicles.

Bottom line if you can spray white you can spray anything.

WFO Speedracer

US composites phenolic micro balloons (must mix with epoxy resin )

Take your pick but you want Urethane high build cartylized primer , I use Akzonobel (same company as Sikkens and Awlgrip, Interlux )

Same with the paint how much do you want to spend, I usually spray Kirker or Nason, Kirker has to be ordered and the color selection is limited , the Nason is available locally if I need to colormatch something .

Th Nason sprays really well and it's not too bad on the wallet , of course if you want to be a baller go with Dupont or PPG , you can't go wrong with either but they are damned expensive , like wallet emptying expensive.

Myself

manic mechanic
1-fairing compound. For deep gouges I like to mix fine chopped glass into the epoxy. Regular scratches, just glass bubbles or balloons same as WFO. I have also used Mar-glass or Dura-glass many times through the years and will use it if I don't feel like jacking around with epoxy. US Composites has some of the best pricing.
2-Primer. Any name brand 2 part epoxy primer. I am really liking the Pettit that I used on this project.
3-Top coat. I've used PPG on most projects through the years. As WFO stated.....it's EXPENSIVE. I've also shot Dupont and some cheap no name stuff. I went with Pettit on this project because of all the good reviews I read on various boat forums. I mixed in the extra catalyst with the white to give a nice hard, UV resistant, finish.

WFO Speedracer

One more thing Spraymax is now doing paint in limited colors it is 2k paint in a spray can the same as their clearcoat and primers , you smash the bottom piece on the can to mix it and then spray , for small jobs it should work really well , their primers and clearcoats are also top notch .

Myself

manic mechanic
Well.......how about this abstract art on the new white paint!!
Ya buddy, that's from a Sharpie PERMANENT marker!

Attachments

• IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2825.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2824.JPG
    IMG_2824.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 16

Myself

manic mechanic
......."What the hell??!!"
OK, we have a couple coats of paint on. Some of the pros refer to this as "pre-paint". Now I need to "de-nib"......get out specs of dirt, bugs, runs, sags, all the bad stuff that happens. PLUS....paint lays out nicer on PAINT, than it does primer. Grab a sharpie, and color the panels. This helps you SEE where your sanding so you just get the surface and don't get too deep in any one area. Then, get out your 400 or 500 grit WET sandpaper. Mix a bit of carwash or dish soap into the water to help the paper glide on the surfaces. Grab a soft block and go to town! You can see the "orange peel" in the marks. I like to go around EVERYTHING lightly, then rinse it off.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 15

Myself

manic mechanic
OK, hood has been wet sanded with 500 grit, rinsed, and then I went over the whole thing carefully with a red scotchbrite pad. We don't want any glossy surface. Ready for final painting. You can see I found a few areas where the paint was a tad thin. You can see it looks blackish.

Attachments

• IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 17

Myself

manic mechanic
I got the handpole and hull done! WHEW.....I've been at it all day! I'll have Popeye forearms by the time this paintjob is finished LOL!!

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 15

Myself

manic mechanic
And here she is ready for final paint.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.JPG
    IMG_2835.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 15

Myself

manic mechanic
To everybody watching thats tired of "watching paint dry".......I'm sorry but it just HAS to be done to get it RIGHT.

Stick with me......we're getting REAL close to the good stuff!

Top Bottom