Custom/Hybrid Aftermarket Hull Registration and HIN Talk

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Thanks for the redirect Jordan and you bring up another question. You say yours is registered as an EME but yet homebuilt at the same time? That's what I did as well with my first Matrix and wondered if that's what caused all the trouble. Would it have been easier if I had just said it was home built? I would much rather it say Trinity on the title though so I will jump thru as many hoops as it takes.

My title/registration/insurance all say 2013 EME Q8 Sky. I dont think I did anything with homemade stuff, i just had to fill out a 1 page application for a HIN, I have a copy of it at home I could see what it was exactly.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Thanks for the redirect Jordan and you bring up another question. You say yours is registered as an EME but yet homebuilt at the same time? That's what I did as well with my first Matrix and wondered if that's what caused all the trouble. Would it have been easier if I had just said it was home built? I would much rather it say Trinity on the title though so I will jump thru as many hoops as it takes.

WA let me put whatever I want into the model field, but it's still just a homebuilt (as clearly identified by the HIN).

Remember that the roots for all this HIN business are federal (USCG vessel registry), but the implementation is left to States somewhat. In the end, each of these a/m hulls that ya'll are registering will have a state-issued HIN that identifies it as homebuilt to the USCG.

Last edited:

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I registered my Superfreak as a home built PWC. I asked if I could have it registered as a Superfreak. They said no, it would just say home built. I didn't do any additional research or question the lady just because I hate the hassle and I only cared about being legal so I could ride it. That's FL, other states may be different and possibly there's a loop hole to name it what you want?

NEVADA

HIN as home built vessel, bring hull, receipts, pictures, documentation , they look at the hull for a moment, $ 20 for title and done, trophy shop for Hull Vins to make it look official thus the provided sticker form DOWF does not last....

This was with my bare BOB hulls

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
WA let me put whatever I want into the model field, but it's still just a homebuilt (as clearly identified by the HIN).

Remember that the roots for all this HIN business are federal (USCG vessel registry), but the implementation is left to States somewhat. In the end, each of these a/m hulls that ya'll are registering will have a state-issued HIN that identifies it as homebuilt to the USCG.

There is a separate place on the SC form for make and model and then a spot you can check for ( ) Homebuilt. This allows us to enter whatever we want it to be registered as but you are correct, it's still a homebuilt.

The first 3 digits of the HIN will tell that it's a state issued HIN. It comprises of the state designation plus a "Z". ie: South Carolina = SCZ, Michigan = MIZ, etc...

The USCG regulates the standards to which a boat must be constructed. They issue a MIR (Manufacturers ID Code) to qualified boat builders who then use that to assign HIN (Hull identification numbers) or C/O's (Certificate of Origin) to each boat before it can leave the factory.

A HIN or C/O is required to register a boat within a state and obtain a title or registration. The USCG has absolutely no involvement in this process.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
When l registered my rocket,l decided to as a home built.Mailed the info in to the state and 6 weeks later got a call from the twra to come and see it.No problem and l got my numbers.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
There is a separate place on the SC form for make and model and then a spot you can check for ( ) Homebuilt. This allows us to enter whatever we want it to be registered as but you are correct, it's still a homebuilt.

The first 3 digits of the HIN will tell that it's a state issued HIN. It comprises of the state designation plus a "Z". ie: South Carolina = SCZ, Michigan = MIZ, etc...

The USCG regulates the standards to which a boat must be constructed. They issue a MIR (Manufacturers ID Code) to qualified boat builders who then use that to assign HIN (Hull identification numbers) or C/O's (Certificate of Origin) to each boat before it can leave the factory.

A HIN or C/O is required to register a boat within a state and obtain a title or registration. The USCG has absolutely no involvement in this process.

agreed, when I gave Stacy at wake zone my hin she said they had something different for EME manufacture id. Side note Michigan is MI but not for watercraft its MC (dont ask me why), but my HIN does start with MCZ

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Do you mean there was a different rate specific for EME hulls or because it was EME rather than just "homebuilt".

She said EME manufacture code was XXX (I dont remember) but meaning that an EME hin would start with those three. So I assume each manufacture has their own code and would use that on their RTR boats.

OCD Solutions

Yes, I guess I wasn't clear earlier. Every manufacturer is issued their own 3 character MIR ID code where each state issued code uses 2 characters to designate the state followed by the letter Z to indicate state issued rather than manufacturer.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Do you mean there was a different rate specific for EME hulls or because it was EME rather than just "homebuilt".

Yes, I guess I wasn't clear earlier. Every manufacturer is issued their own 3 character MIR ID code where each state issued code uses 2 characters to designate the state followed by the letter Z to indicate state issued rather than manufacturer.

sorry, i guess i read that wrong. I dont think there was a different rate, she didnt know mine was state issued until that point in our conversation. I forgot to look at that paper last night to find out if mine says homebuilt any where on it. Setting a reminder in phone right now.

Pretty sure there was one on the Trinity I sold you too Chad?

The only HIN number I could find was at the back of the hull and it was a sticker issued by the Alabama fish & wildlife or whatever branch of the government it would be. That's what I used to register it and I believe the new owner in Minnesota also used that number to register it.

I have been working with the wonderful NYS Parks and Recreation for the last 2 months on registering my Rickter. Afters months of BS explaining them that yes the hulls do not come with a HIN. I finally got a call from the Local Sherriff. After he does his own investigation, he will come to my house and inspect the watercraft before he gives me my HIN. I will keep the New yorkers updated.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
i have been working with the wonderful nys parks and recreation for the last 2 months on registering my rickter. Afters months of bs explaining them that yes the hulls do not come with a hin. I finally got a call from the local sherriff. After he does his own investigation, he will come to my house and inspect the watercraft before he gives me my hin. I will keep the new yorkers updated.

wow!

Last edited:

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Just checked the form, it's titled " application for special vehicle identification number" there's boxes for assembled (homemade) or number assignment (for watercraft purchased without a hull id). Mine is checked for number assignment, so mine is not titled as homemade.

for mi residents the form is tr-204

OCD Solutions

I have been working with the wonderful NYS Parks and Recreation for the last 2 months on registering my Rickter. Afters months of BS explaining them that yes the hulls do not come with a HIN. I finally got a call from the Local Sherriff. After he does his own investigation, he will come to my house and inspect the watercraft before he gives me my HIN. I will keep the New yorkers updated.

So I'm not the only one that got hung up on this detail then. Now I don't feel bad about about going after this one so publically. You need the same thing I do, written word from the coast guard explaining why a hull builder is not responsible, or able, to provide a HIN.

My research does show however that they are expected to provide a label on the hull stating their name, a serial number, date of manufacture and that it complies with all USCG regulations at the time of manufacture.

I'm still waiting for a picture of the decal the Ski Clinic provides on their bare hull kits. Sounds like they got their chit dialed in for their customers.

Just checked the form, it's titled " application for special vehicle identification number" there's boxes for assembled (homemade) or number assignment (for watercraft purchased without a hull id). Mine is checked for number assignment, so mine is not titled as homemade.

For mi residents the form is tr-204

I see those same options on the SC application and wondered if there wasn't a more appropriate box than "Homebuilt".

There's so much inconsistency reported from different people going thru this process that I don't think it matters what box you check. I think it all comes down to the person processing the application and what they know about the procedure. I'm not sure what's worse either, the experienced clerk or the clock watcher. I'm betting the clock watcher is the one we want to be sitting across from in this instance.

I finished up all my application paperwork last night. I just need to gather a couple signatures and mine is ready to submit.

Top Bottom