Custom/Hybrid Aftermarket Hull Registration and HIN Talk

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I'd be interested how that is possible - HIN's are assigned by the USCG and/or individual states. A vendor from outside the country can't just make those up.
What format is the HIN you guys have on there?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I ran across this when I was doing my research Matt and is likely in the coast Guard document I reference in the first couple posts of this thread. US builders have to do it different if the hull is for export. It's more of a serial number and certificate of origin since the HIN comprises of things that are unknown like final weight, flotation, HP, etc.

They become a boat fixture supplier and have to flow the same label requirements as the guy building and selling any marine component.

I'd be interested how that is possible - HIN's are assigned by the USCG and/or individual states. A vendor from outside the country can't just make those up.
What format is the HIN you guys have on there?

It starts with FR_____ then has a bunch of numbers. I'm thinking it's maybe more of a serial number that Krash puts on their hulls but I was able to use it as a HIN number.

OCD Solutions

In SC, we pay a casual excise tax of 5% up to a maximum of $300 when we first register a boat and then property tax every year after. Property tax on my Matrix is $76 a year and then another $40 every 2 years for registration.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It used to be that way in WA, but was changed about a decade ago. Sales/use tax when you buy, then it's roughly $22 every year

Wow, so 2 weeks ago I bought a Predator, last week had the state marine police sign off on the inspection for HIN. Went to DMV they didn't know and said they would call me, this morn I get a call saying Krash has to issue a HIN or MSO. This afternoon I print out that USCG circular and take it in. Girl just talked herself in circles, time to call Trenton

OCD Solutions

She can talk herself in circles all she wants, like the lady i was talking too, she needs to be educated. I doubt they see this very often if ever before so be patient and press them to seek advice from a manager. They also have a liaison with the coast guard that they can call for advice so don't take no for an answer and make her do her job.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
It's always a hail marry trying to get the DMV to do anything with homemade skis. Luckily, the few times I have gone, the person I got just had to go talk to the knowledgeable person that knew how the boat stuff worked. If the DMV is worthless and nobody knows what the hell they are talking about, I just go to another DMV office.

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
You need to talk to some one who knows how to do their job. I've had multiple friends go and say they need this or that when they don't. They have EVERYTHING they need but the clerk is clueless.

Talk to a manager.

Wow, so 2 weeks ago I bought a Predator, last week had the state marine police sign off on the inspection for HIN. Went to DMV they didn't know and said they would call me, this morn I get a call saying Krash has to issue a HIN or MSO. This afternoon I print out that USCG circular and take it in. Girl just talked herself in circles, time to call Trenton

In the same situation right now (in NJ), please let me know what you find out.

Top Bottom