Custom/Hybrid Aftermarket Hull Registration and HIN Talk

I registered my Foot Rocket in Connecticut. All I had to do was get a "certificate of origin" from Krash that had the boat's serial number/HIN and a receipt from Fast Elements (for taxes...). I used the number in the hull as my HIN. Once I produced these documents for DMV, it took about 15 minutes. Mostly her walking around and looking various binders and books they had in the office...

@speedysprocket How did you get the certificate if origin? My hull has no serial number, I'm guessing they stopped adding these? Or is it just one more thing that got past their non existent quality control?
I nagged Nick Barton for a while and he wrote me the certificate of origin. Try to talk to Nick and see if he'll make up a number for you or let you make up your own number and put that on the cert you ask him to write...
Orrrr... I could just send you the Word file he sent me and you can doctor it up to suit your needs.....

Received, not sure how I can make that work, the prob dmv is having is there is no serial number or any way to identify my hull from another, that letter states your hull was assembled in Aus, purchased as a RTR unit and therefore had a HIN issued prior to you buying it.

Thanx for the help, but think I gotta keep digging

huh, the USCG article that OCD posted goes into detail about how to break down a HIN an d what each digit means, much like a VIN on a car, the first 3 letters are supposed to be the manufacture code. Also the state police have to inspect it and sign off, not sure how making my on number is going to fly with them

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
It won't fly. The only way to get a HIN is to buy a ski RTR from a manufacturer that is USCG certified to build a ski with HIN, or have the state issue you a HIN. That's it. Two ways. I've never heard or seen any other way of doing it legally.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
It won't fly. The only way to get a HIN is to buy a ski RTR from a manufacturer that is USCG certified to build a ski with HIN, or have the state issue you a HIN. That's it. Two ways. I've never heard or seen any other way of doing it legally.

LOL, tell the lady at DMV that. She is asking for the number she is supposed to be issuing.

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
You have to show them how to do their job sometimes unfortunately.

Franny, go here: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Boats.htm. Print out the section outlined below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to title a homemade boat
To title and/or register a home made boat, visit your local MVC Agency with proof of identification and the following:
  • Original receipts for all parts purchased
  • Notarized statement outlining all construction details
  • Fee payment; $60 standard boat or $85 financed
  • If boat is greater than 12 feet (from bow to stern), it must be titled; therefore, OS/SS-27 form must be completed.
  • If boat is 12 feet or less (from bow to stern), it must only be registered; therefore, BA-51 form must be completed at the MVC Agency.
Note: After the MVC Agency reviews your documents, you will be instructed to have your boat inspected by the NJ State Police, Marine Division. Upon completion of inspection, return to the MVC Agency with the completed “HIN Investigation Report” form OS/SS-10A.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have her pull up her own agencies website. Talk to a manager, have them do it. There may be some confusion, as they cannot issue a HIN until an inspection is complete. Maybe go to the Marine division first and get the report done. Then go to the DMV. That may help.

Yup, I have a completed “HIN Investigation Report” from nj state marine police, I have the bill of sale from purchase of hull, and they are still giving me a hard time. They are saying since I bought the hull and didnt construct it myself that its not home made. I didnt call trenton today because I was hoping what speedysprocket was sending would help.

Other thing I have going against me is the fact that the NJ trooper who filled out the investigation report checked the box for HIN unassigned instead of the home made box, he didnt want to listen and was an ass untill he handed me the paperwork and then all the sudden wanted to have a conversation, said he had never done it before.

The part about reciepts for all parts purchased to assemble is an issue too, some of my stuff has been sitting for years or purchased cash over the internet.

Think I a, going to call Trenton tomorrow and call the trooper and get him to redo the investigation report and see where we end up.

I also have the dealer I bought it from contacting Nick from Krash to find out why they stopped putting serial numbers and issueing MSO's with thier skis.

Either way I will keep everyone up to date.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Every office and every situation is going to be different depending on what the clerk knows about the process.

I got around the receipt thing by simply writing a letter stating what it was that I was doing. I bought a hull, (showed receipt from trinity) and then said that i was transferring all the parts from my old hull, (registration # blah, blah) into the new hull. No further receipts required.

Let me present a situation...
if someone bought an AM hull, what does everyone think of using an old registration from a ski that was also owned by the same person that is now scrapped? Say the scrapped ski was an old wave-runner or whatever? Could that old registration from the scrapped ski be used to register a new AM hull? The old HIN / registration from the scrapped ski would be the same as the current AM hull owner. Is this illegal or just wrong? Or would there be additional steps like receipts, notarized docs, etc?

Figured I'd just ask before I get too much of a possibly bad idea or plan...

Top Bottom