Another dang FX1 pump thread......

Glad to hear you like the results....now wait till you try an SXR prop and R&D cone! Played in the surf all weekend and it's so nice to have hook up in the white stuff. Did you notice any improvements in steering? Mine seems to be more responsive than stock.

adet16v

No like winter
Glad to hear you like the results....now wait till you try an SXR prop and R&D cone! Played in the surf all weekend and it's so nice to have hook up in the white stuff. Did you notice any improvements in steering? Mine seems to be more responsive than stock.

Yeah the SXR prop will be the next add on for me. I thought my steering was about the same as stock, however I am going to pick up a tap to tap out the outermost hole in my turn plate to get a little extra throw on that nozzle. I think that the extended nozzle of the kawi pump will allow for more throw and tighter steering!

Excellent work Aaron. Glad it worked well.

Doug

You bet. You can see for yourself in a week or two.

adet16v

No like winter
Its the stock plate, on the stockers there are 3 holes, but only the middle one is tapped. So you can run any three positions but in order to do that you need to tap/thread the outer ones.

Kinda stupid that they provide you with three holes but only tap one... oh well

eel

Our home is girt by sea
Hats off to special fx!

Thats a great pump conversion! That pump resign with tbm/r&d and swirl could handle excess of 100hp no drama. Also, you can run seadoo 580 to 785 props with minor mods. I would be tempted to try a rfi prop as well. Second hand seadoo props are plentiful cause all the engines are rooted. I have a nice 5mm 62t/61x engine in the shed that would be silly in that little popsicle stick hull!

I can't wait to do this to my FX-1! My 650 pump showed up today. I have a SXR skat swirl 13/18 cut back 5mm. I just need to get a driveshaft and X-2 nozzel! I plan on doing this over the winter. I'll post pics of the whole build so everyone can check it out. I need to sell some more parts so I can afford the R&D/TBM cone. I want to thank special FX for all the the great info.:bow28:

I have two questions for you special FX. When you say grind off the front lip around the perimeter, do you cut the whole 1/4 inch lip off (front of pump to back of pump), or just grind it down so its smooth? I looked at your pics but couldn't tell. Do you have any more pics of the front of the pump showing the mod? Second, I bought a SXR skat swirl 13/18 cutback 5mm. After I put the prop in it seems there is a large gap between the trailing edges of the prop to the front of the stators. Does the R&D pump cone take up this space? Thanks once again.

OK.....Question 1, you only need to grind the little raised area around the pump edge off. It's very minimal and just lets the pump sit flush in the shoe area. Just to be clear, you only grind off the tiny little rib that's cast on top off the pump housing. The attached pic shows the junk you need to remove. If you're using a die grinder, it's about a 10-15 minute job.

Question 2 - The R&D cone will not change the clearance between the pump vanes and the trailing edge of the prop. It can be set back further than 6mm, that's just what most folks seem to recommend.

Post pics of your conversion!

Attachments

• e6d3_1.jpg
    e6d3_1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 356

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
Wow. This is the most complete write up of a pump mod. After reading this, I think I might even be able to do this mod myself.

It seems like you could do this mod without any glass work if you use shims at the rear instead of building it up. Is this true?

Let me see if I've got this straight.

1. get a kawi 650 pump from ebay.

2. get a tilt nozzel from a 650 pump (not sure which models would have that). Could I just buy a pump with the tilt nozzel attached already (if I can find the right model to buy from)?

3. Grind or dremel down about 3/8 inch of material from the stock fx1 pump area (at the front closer to the shoe)?

4. Shim the rear of the pump to get it level with the front (not sure how to make sure it's level). Would I just make the hull level first then check to make sure the pump is level when sitting on the shims and ground down front area of pump cavity?

5. Figure out how to insert insert mounting holes (threaded inserts) to mount the new pump. How did you make sure they were at the right location (marker screwdriver through each hole on the pump and hope they are centered?

5. get a kawi 900zxi (or whichever model you said in the article) drive shaft. Would this come with bearings (or part of whatever it is that needs to be sent to you to make the custom bearing, is it a coupler?) or is that a different part to get?

6. Send in something from the fx1 and the bearing part from the kawi so you can meld them into one sweet piece.

7. Use my old intake grate and ride plate.

8. Have loads of fun with my new and improved fx1 for a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:
Pretty close.....X2 tilt nozzle, (650, X2, TS, SC pumps all the same), 900 or 1100 ZXI driveshaft and you will definitely need to do some glass work.....read more. Also check out my other thread for more details/pics (search for "son of frankenstein"), Read and re-read, you'll figure it out.

C J

Such an awsm thread! Thanks heaps! gonna see if I can manage to /findcollect the parts and get them all the way to Denmark, but seems like it's worth the hassle!

curt248

01 superjet 94 fx1 97 xp
I have the pump, a stainless impeller, and the the tilt nozzle I don't have a drive shaftor maybe I do but I sold my FX 1 and I would be willing to sell those parts to you if you still need them.

Top Bottom